• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML problems 9 June 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliwag

My son is on a train tonight North to KX...ground to a halt due to wiring issues and a suicide...any news?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My son is on a train tonight North to KX...ground to a halt due to wiring issues and a suicide...any news?
North to KX? You mean from the North (the North is a big place!) to King's Cross?

There's not much to add, it can take up to 3 hours to recover the various parts when a train has been hit at, potentially, 125mph.

I also heard that some infrastructure may be damaged, so you can possibly add even longer to that.

Where's his final destination printed on his ticket(s) and which train is he on?

SPADTrap

Established Member
Indeed a particularly nasty incident with overhead line damage as well.

caliwag

Ah sorry for that messy post. He's on a train from Newcastle to KX that has ground to a halt...wires/suicide on a previous train. Any news?

CallySleeper

Established Member
The 20.45 from Leeds is currently sat in Retford. Personally, if it was a long delay I'd much rather be on a platform than in the middle of nowhere. Happened to me once, 3-odd hours on p11 at Edinburgh!

As Yorkie said, it could (unfortunately) be a while, as far as infrastructure damage is concerned let alone persons hit by trains it's anyone's guess. Would depend a lot on the scale of the damage. Job stopped Peterborough - Hitchin and the problems appear to be in the Huntington/St. Neots area. There does appear to be a rescue train in the area but other than that nothing concrete to report unfortunately.

caliwag

Yup they've already offered taxis at KX.
Is still poor wiring or what? seems to happen far too often.

Train involved apparently 1A48, 1845 LDS - KGX, at (or in vicinity of) St Neots.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
1A48 has just reached Sandy.

1N33 2000 KGX-NCL is (or was) on the move also, in the Sandy area. It should have terminated at Newcastle 10 minutes ago.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yup they've already offered taxis at KX.
Is still poor wiring or what? seems to happen far too often.
Yes, the East Coast main Line is still using headspans - two masts with cross span wires from which the power lines are mounted. It's cheap, but you can blame that on the Government at the time! I do not know if there are any plans to replace it with proper gantries.

CallySleeper

Established Member
There are trains in the area on the move. The 17.31 Grand Central Sunderland - Kings Cross returned back to Peterborough. There is however nothing going south from Peterborough, and most of the aforementioned trains are diesel trains, unfortunately your son's train is most likely an electric - not helpful if the power is off!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
2000 KGX-NCL was moving but has now stopped with no power. emergency lighting on. Is it going to be diesel hauled through the affected section I wonder?

caliwag

I do agree about gov of the day...when do you guess the 20.45 from Leeds will reach KX? I know a very unfair question...you don't need to answer. Actually he's opting for going back to Leeds. makes sense!!!

CallySleeper

Established Member
Can see why he would consider going back to Leeds, but at this time of night I'm not sure how successful he would be, if at all.

Since the railway is still blocked south of Peterborough I'd say the most likely outcome at this stage is probably going as far as Peterborough and then getting a rail-replacement coach to London, which are being organised. But since he's still in Retford there's no telling how long it might be. It's a very rough conservative guess but if he was to leave Retford now I'd say he would be in Kings Cross (having changed at Peterborough) after 2am. But that's a very rough calculation.

caliwag

Aye...thanks...North seems to be the answer.
Update...son who is on the 20.45 ex Leeds, stuck at Retford has been told they will get them to London by 3am...he's going North!
Sending 20.45 ex Leeds to KX (grounded at Leeds) to London via Cambridge it seems. positioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.