• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML Problems at Retford (13/04)

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
Our Hull Trains service is having a tour of Lincoln this morning.
I understand it's due to cable theft.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I think I juat passed you at Doncaster. I'm on the 0701 YRK - KGX. Were stacked up in the queue, and I'm going to miss my booked 1006 PAD - PNZ! Our train guard also says cable theft.

westv

Established Member
I should have waved as you passed. :D
Running a lot slower on this "heritage" line.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
We have now cleared the blockage and are approximately 45 minutes late.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think one of things that most annoys me about cable theft (other than the delays) is that the thieves will probably have only got a few hundred pounds maybe a grand for the cable they stole. For that they messed up the journeys of thousands of people and cost the industry millions...

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I forgot to mention: our Train Guard said he'd heard but wasn't sure that the cables in this area are all fibre optic, and as such, practically worthless! Could be hearsay, dunno. Still the point stands that's thousands of pounds for either no or very little gain.

najaB

Veteran Member
I forgot to mention: our Train Guard said he'd heard but wasn't sure that the cables in this area are all fibre optic, and as such, practically worthless! Could be hearsay, dunno. Still the point stands that's thousands of pounds for either no or very little gain.
I know that it is very common for BT fibre to be cut by thieves looking for copper. One of the worst cases was one of the sub-sea cables out to the Isle of Skye. The engineers could only work on the cable for a few hours at low tide.

I wouldn't be surprised if similar (maybe minus the Atlantic ocean!) happens on the railway.

wensley

Established Member
It was a right going on yesterday ... spent most of the day running round like a nutter trying to get things into some sort of order and get folk on the move!

I travelled on 1Y03 (0445 ex-Newcastle) and we were talked by three signals before the TBW was implemented. Due to the volume of traffic in the early morning I was only delayed 30mins, but even with the TBW in place the delays got larger as the queue grew and grew.

Some selected cancellations and diversions via both Short and Long Joint helped, but there were still far too many late runners!

The only good thing was almost everybody was understanding once the circumstances were explained.

Crossover

Established Member
I know that it is very common for BT fibre to be cut by thieves looking for copper. One of the worst cases was one of the sub-sea cables out to the Isle of Skye. The engineers could only work on the cable for a few hours at low tide.

I wouldn't be surprised if similar (maybe minus the Atlantic ocean!) happens on the railway.

Something that has crossed my mind a few times. The problem is that they don't find out what it is until they cut it, by which time the damage is done. There are also a large number of cables often running along the cess at track level so I guess the temptation is far too high at times!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Temporary Block Working. You can find details in this document (it's old but the principle should still be the same) from Page D.8 onwards and from this thread on the forum. Tomnick gave a good basic explanation on the linked thread:

Broadly speaking, it does consist of a handsignalman at either end of the temporary block section, each working to the instructions of the signalman (or signalmen!) controlling the area. A numbered ticket is issued to each driver at the entry to the section, detailing which signals can be ignored and which must be obeyed - that ticket is then surrendered at the exit signal. The purpose of the exercise is (usually) to avoid having to talk past each signal individually.

westv

Established Member
Times like this I wish HT had 30 min delay repay rather than 60 min.

And before the pedants start, I know it's not delay repay with HT but I can't think of what it is called.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Times like this I wish HT had 30 min delay repay rather than 60 min.

They do. As per their passenger charter:

When our train services are disrupted or delayed by 30 minutes
or more, despite our own best efforts we will also provide
compensation.

All ticket holders may apply for compensation, irrespective of the
cause of the delay. The level of compensation is outlined below:

• 30-59 minutes – compensation of at least 50% of the cost
of the single ticket or 50% of the relevant journey portion of a
return ticket.

• 60-119 minutes delay compensation of at least 100% of the
cost of the single ticket or 100% of the relevant journey portion
of a return ticket.

• 120 minutes delay or longer – compensation of at least
100% of the cost of the single ticket or at least 100% of the full
return ticket.

westv

Established Member
Ah, thanks for that. Must have been thinking of Northern Rail.
Will have to look in more detail. Seems a bit vague as to how you claim with print at home.

Also, does anybody know how you csn sign into your HT's account without having to go to tne journey planner?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ok I give up. Am I missing something obvious? How do you claim on the HT's website?

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As far as I'm aware the only ways to claim are in writing or via email:

First Hull Trains
FREEPOST RLYY-XSTG-YXCK
4th Floor Europa House
184 Ferensway
HULL HU1 3UT

[email protected]

dk1

Veteran Member
Travelling back Liverpool S Pway to Norwich via Lime St, Leeds & Peterborough. Issues at Huddersfield & Retford so expected big probs. In the end we where early every step of the way :p

Status
Not open for further replies.