• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML Wires Down 02.09.20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envy123

My mother had no help with getting home from Farringdon to Huntingdon. The station staff just said that there’s nothing they could do. She ended up going to Bedford and taking a taxi back home from there at her expense.

I’m sure they wouldn’t reimburse the taxi?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
What typically happens to drivers and train crew in this sort of scenario, say if they're based up north and are trapped in London?

The crew have to get back to their depot somehow, so if there’s no way of providing a train then it will likely be a taxi. The industry can certainly clock up some massive taxi bills during disruption.

43 302

Established Member
When the full electric units appear for work at Eastleigh they often seem be hauled by an 800, presumably they can run at a reasonable speed as single engine EMU in multiple with a DMU, (although obviously much lower than the ECML itself needs).
I thought 800+801 was a common occurrence on Harrogate diagrams?

1955LR

I have had taxi fares reimbursed as a "gesture of goodwill" by TFW and West Midland Railways when I have missed the last bus of the day from HFD due to holdups

43 302

Established Member
I don’t normally follow what’s going on up there, but I‘m sure if that’s right they’re maintaining reasonable timings?
I'm not 100% sure about this one I'd need someone who knows to verify. If it is the case then they must be.

bramling

Veteran Member
I'm not 100% sure about this one I'd need someone who knows to verify. If it is the case then they must be.

There is definitely one booked diagram, and I seem to remember in a different thread on here people confirmed they’d seen it running like that in practice.

43 302

Established Member
There is definitely one booked diagram, and I seem to remember in a different thread on here people confirmed they’d seen it running like that in practice.
Hmm. I wonder if just the 800 is dragging it or if the single engine in the 801 is powering too?

najaB

Veteran Member
Hmm. I wonder if just the 800 is dragging it or if the single engine in the 801 is powering too?
I don't know, but I'll be very disappointed with the designers if the 800 is being made to haul the mass of a dead genset.

A0wen

On Moderation
My mother had no help with getting home from Farringdon to Huntingdon. The station staff just said that there’s nothing they could do. She ended up going to Bedford and taking a taxi back home from there at her expense.

Which station staff ? If it a Farringdon there may have been LUL staff who couldn't advise.

Usually when there are problems on the GN services, they put in place buses between Sandy or St Neots and Bedford - don't know if there were on this occasion, but the staff at Bedford ought to have been able to advise.

Class 170101

Established Member

Put in a claim as one would for delay repay including taxi receipt and see what happens I would suggest.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Which station staff ? If it a Farringdon there may have been LUL staff who couldn't advise.

Usually when there are problems on the GN services, they put in place buses between Sandy or St Neots and Bedford - don't know if there were on this occasion, but the staff at Bedford ought to have been able to advise.

Having seen Bedford deal with severe disruption recently , and taking views of other locals , the staff there are generally very good on customer relations. In fact I was so impressed with them the other day , I went out of my way to express my appreciation of their efforts to keep people moving. Always ask.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was lucky yesterday morning; my train just had to use the Up Slow through the affected area (presumably the Up Fast hadn't yet been repaired), and we didn't arrive particularly late and I was still able to make my onward connection to meet other forum members for our walk.

What did the staff at Bedford say?

Failed Unit

Established Member
I thought 800+801 was a common occurrence on Harrogate diagrams?
Remember a set gets dropped off at Leeds. It is only the bi-mode going to Harrogate. When an 801 turns up on a Lincoln it gets terminated at Newark and that is only 17 miles.

Put in a claim as one would for delay repay including taxi receipt and see what happens I would suggest.
Haven’t yet used the new GN/TL delay repay system, but previously additional expense claims had to be done via a separate form

Envy123

Farringdon and King’s Cross.

Yeah, I’ll do that, thank you.

What did the staff at Bedford say?

They told her that maybe they are buses to Huntingdon but they can’t do anything about it.

Established Member
Remember a set gets dropped off at Leeds. It is only the bi-mode going to Harrogate. When an 801 turns up on a Lincoln it gets terminated at Newark and that is only 17 miles.

800 and 801s are a regular booked move together to Harrogate as a 10 car set.

I believe this will also be the case on the Carlisle diverts this month

The sets get split at Leeds, the straight electric stays at Leeds while the bi-mode does the Harrogate bit
Not on every service! There is a booked diagram where an 800/2 and 801/1 both go to Harrogate as a 10 car set.

43 302

Established Member
800 and 801s are a regular booked move together to Harrogate as a 10 car set.

I believe this will also be the case on the Carlisle diverts this month

Not on every service! There is a booked diagram where an 800/2 and 801/1 both go to Harrogate as a 10 car set.
I was sure I had seen it!

najaB

Veteran Member
You wouldn't happen to know/have seen if the genset in the 801 is started up for the run up to Harrogate?

Dave91131

You wouldn't happen to know/have seen if the genset in the 801 is started up for the run up to Harrogate?

My understanding is that the single engine on the 801 is started but does nothing more than idle, traction is provded entirely by the 800.

Hope this helps.

skyhigh

Established Member
That makes some sense - it would be able to provide hotel power and take that load off the 800.
I agree it's correct that the single 801 engine provides hotel power in that unit - an 800 dragging an 801 around doesn't set any speed records but it's enough power to keep to time with the max speed on the Harrogate line.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
I agree it's correct that the single 801 engine provides hotel power in that unit - an 800 dragging an 801 around doesn't set any speed records but it's enough power to keep to time with the max speed on the Harrogate line.

The old BR rule of thumb was that you needed to roughly double the power to increase from 100mph to 125mph, so they've plenty enough power for that sort of thing.

2250hp to power 10 carriages isn't much different to the sort of stuff double-headed Class 20s used to do in the old days, actually.

bramling

Veteran Member

Does anyone know *why* LNER have chosen to diagram this? Seems a slightly odd thing to do, especially as the formation stays on the route all day.

TheBigD

Established Member
Does anyone know *why* LNER have chosen to diagram this? Seems a slightly odd thing to do, especially as the formation stays on the route all day.

As there are only 10 diagrams for the 9 Car bimodes (currently 9 due to repairs to the set damaged at Neville Hill last year) and just 8 diagrams for the 5 car bimodes there is simply not enough to do all the Aberdeen/Inverness /Lincoln and Harrogate services with just the bimodes.

For those interested the planned (non covid) diagrams can be found here...

Established Member
So has there been any progress with the Neville hill set?
It's at Wolverton, and has been for several months. Last I hear was the insurance company and Hitachi had conducted a full check off all Coaches to see what damage had occurred and were drawing up repair plan. That was a few months ago though

Status
Not open for further replies.