• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECO handover on west Coastway

Status
Not open for further replies.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Doesn't really effect me, just curious, but where is the ECO handover on the West Coastway line between Eastleigh and Brighton? I'd take a stab at ford triangle but I'm probably miles out.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JN114

Established Member
It's much further west - between Emsworth and Southbourne.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Electrical Control (Room) Operator, in this context.

Sectional appendix suggests located at NR's Sussex and Wessex route boundary, and also the signalling boundary between Chichester and Havant

Last edited:

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Presumably at the county boundary between West Sussex and Hampshire?

PS. What is an ECO?

They monitor and control the electrical feeds to the tracks, so if there's an on board fire, severe arcing on the shoegear, trespasser or person in contact with the 3rd rail (CRE - Conductor Rail Equipment), then we get an ESO usually via the GSM-R & signaller now, to perform an Emergency Switch Off (which used to just be an emergency isolation), but the outside emergency services got tetchy about it, so it was renamed.:roll:

We can contact the ECO via GSM-R directly apparently, but there does seem to be conflicting information on whether the numbers work or not, so it's just as easy to get it done via the signaller.

If we need to have the traction current to be discharged very rapidly or can't get hold of the signaller or ECO we can apply a SCB (Short Circuiting Bar) which just blows the breakers out, they will then try and recharge the system a maximum of 3 times, after that they know that there's either a SCB or short in the system, they'll contact the signaller of the area concerned.

If there's a train in that section and the problem then moves, there's a good probability that there's a fault on the train. if the train moves (coasts) out of the section and the current stays off, then there's something really wrong.

Generally drivers don't have anything to do with ECO's now because everything is done via the controlling signaller and it's they who get the isolations sorted.

Needless to say that there are VERY strict rules governing the use of SCB and emergency switch off's any other isolations are done by MOMs or engineers.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Cheers for the answer gents, especially HD for going into explaining what I didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.