• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECS to Fawley/Marchwood branch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Within the last month I noticed, on the day it operated, a reference. in realtimetrains, to, I believe, a Diesel Electric DMU? running about most of the Southwest main line including the Fawley/Marchwood branch.

From this very woolly information can anybody shed any light on what this train would have been doing?

I have checked realtimetrains today but can only go back as far as 10th October.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Is the Fawley branch of the branch from Totton being maintained then? I thought the oil trains had finished.

I know there were vague rumours (again) in August this year about re-opening the Waterside branch but have heard no more about it.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is the Fawley branch of the branch from Totton being maintained then? I thought the oil trains had finished.

I know there were vague rumours (again) in August this year about re-opening the Waterside branch but have heard no more about it.
Can’t think why they’d instantly stop maintaining it to the NR limit. Presumably Marchwood is still used.

As you say I think the vague rumours of reopening for passengers are just that. IIRC Hants CC are still not interested.

I thought the naval facilities at Marchwood had been sold - not that that means the rail link isn't still wanted of course.

It would be nice to have it open again for the industry at Marchwood and the people along the route some of whom would find a rail link useful. Austerity is over after all.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Marchwood was “sold” in a similar way to the Dockyards were sold, I think. It is still the main Army port used by the RFA logistics landing ships and for contracted commercial shipping movements.

Status
Not open for further replies.