• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eden Valley Railway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
If anyone gets the chance and are in the Appleby area. Do visit the Eden Vally railway at Warcop. They are quite small at the moment, but are hoping to get back to Appleby East. I travelled on a railway holiday last week and we had a trip on their line. The people there are very friendly. We travelled in the front & rear coaches of a 3 car set, I think class 205? which I suspect may have came from SWT land, although it had been repainted in Red and Cream.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, had a nice trip in the 205 a couple of years ago (think it came from Connex).

Apparently it and the CEP were loco hauled up the Settle Carlisle - now that's a trip I'd have liked to have been on !

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Is it relatively easy to get to? If it's not I suspect it'll be a good reason why it's not commonly talked about. I need to research it mind...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Is it relatively easy to get to? If it's not I suspect it'll be a good reason why it's not commonly talked about. I need to research it mind...

It will be easier to get to when they make it back to Appleby (for obvious reasons).

When I visited I got the train to Kirkby Stephen and had to make use of a bus gala to get to Warcop.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Oh it will be then aye, I was more keen to go before then and support the railway. Not to mention having a ride on my first 205!

bramling

Veteran Member
If anyone gets the chance and are in the Appleby area. Do visit the Eden Vally railway at Warcop. They are quite small at the moment, but are hoping to get back to Appleby East. I travelled on a railway holiday last week and we had a trip on their line. The people there are very friendly. We travelled in the front & rear coaches of a 3 car set, I think class 205? which I suspect may have came from SWT land, although it had been repainted in Red and Cream.

The unit is 3H (class 305), 205009, withdrawn from Southern/South Central.

steevp

Ah - thumpers. I remember them well on the Portsmouth - Southampton - Salisbury stoppers and the Eastleigh flyer when I was a guard.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Wonderful little trains. Gave me many happy trips on the Marshlink.

Condor7

If you are travelling by car it is very easy to get to, literally just a few hundred yards off the A66.

If traveling my train, then Grand Prix Coaches provide a limited but regular bus service from either Kirkby Stephen, Appleby, or Penrith stations. In the case of Penrith the service is a little more frequent from the bus station a 5 or 6 minute walk from the railway station.

madannie77

If you are travelling by car it is very easy to get to, literally just a few hundred yards off the A66.

If traveling my train, then Grand Prix Coaches provide a limited but regular bus service from either Kirkby Stephen, Appleby, or Penrith stations. In the case of Penrith the service is a little more frequent from the bus station a 5 or 6 minute walk from the railway station.

Unfortunately the Grand Prix bus service (route 563) does not run on Sundays and Bank Holidays which are generally the only days the Eden Valley Railway runs trains, although there are additional midweek operating days in July and August which are accessible by public transport.

As stated previously services are usually operated by the Thumper 205009 which arrived from Connex South Central via the S & C. The 4-CEPS also arrived by rail, behind a GBRF Class 66. There is a photo online of this but I cannot find it at the moment :(

In previous years some trains have been operated by 2 MLVs on battery power with 4-CEP 2315. The MLVs are currently requiring new batteries to make it possible to run a regular service with these over the current full length of the line (about 2.2 miles each way).

Status
Not open for further replies.