• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edin/Glasgow to Oxford

Status
Not open for further replies.

orpine

I'm looking to travel from Glasgow (or Edinburgh if necessary) to Oxford on Friday evening leaving after 4pm, and returning Sunday evening (any time).

I've tried splitting at carlisle, birmingham, and wolverhampton but the lowest has always been well over £120.
Also going via London, but not much excitment there either, be it from glasgow or Edinburgh.

Any thoughts on a cheaper option?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
I occasionally get the 16.00 voyager from Glasgow changing at Crewe to go South. I have to say I don't find them unpleasant on the WCML at speed and not overly crowded. The experience is far away better than a XC example stopping at every lamppost between Birmingham and reading and loaded to 150%.

orpine

Edinburgh - Gatwick return with BA: £77 fairly good times
Gatwick - Oxford return on X70: £37

Total: £114 but allows you to depart later and likely to be more comfortable than a Voyager for hours on end too

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#s...-14;sel=EDILGW0BA2945,LGWEDI0BA2944;q=easyjet

https://airline.oxfordbus.co.uk/gatwick/

Thanks bb, but I refuse to fly when there are so many land options available (trying to do my bit for the environment :) ).

I did however come across:
http://megabusgold.com/
A bus to London is about £50 each way, and it's a sleeper! Ok, not as spacious as the Caledonian of course, but still, the ability to sleep in a bed-like thing is not to be underrated. :)

cjp

Best make haste then

megabusgold.com has confirmed that our overnight sleepercoach services between Scotland and London will cease to operate from 21 May 2017.

The services - which launched in 2013 - represented an innovative and new travel product and have helped provide a value-for-money long-distance transport option over the past four years.

While the services have proved popular with a loyal core base of customers, unfortunately the overall level of demand has been below the level required for us to be able to continue the routes.

As a result, the final night of operation for our overnight sleepercoach routes across the UK will be 21 May 2017.

We know that this will disappoint people who have enjoyed the service, and this is not a decision we have taken lightly, but unfortunately we have been left with no other option but to discontinue these routes. - See more at: http://megabusgold.com/Customer-Service/Service-Updates/?event=495#sthash.SZE8Tsx4.dpuf

orpine

Yep, I spotted that too, albeit after my post. :(

---

On the original subject.

Cheapest option so far - Glasgow to Reading, £52 advance on the 17:30 from Glasgow Central. Goes all the way to Euston, and then a late train to Reading.

Except I can just get off at Milton Keynes (ok, not actually allowed!) at about 10pm, and catch a bus from there to Oxford. Except the buses have stopped by 9pm. Gah!

So that's not an option, but train pricing is silly!

Tw99

Yep, I spotted that too, albeit after my post. :(

---

On the original subject.

Cheapest option so far - Glasgow to Reading, £52 advance on the 17:30 from Glasgow Central. Goes all the way to Euston, and then a late train to Reading.

Except I can just get off at Milton Keynes (ok, not actually allowed!) at about 10pm, and catch a bus from there to Oxford. Except the buses have stopped by 9pm. Gah!

So that's not an option, but train pricing is silly!

Have you looked at the London to Oxford bus (Oxford tube)?

Status
Not open for further replies.