• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh 9 Feb, were you delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo138

Hi,
I was affected by the closure of Edinburgh Waverley on Sat 8 Feb, due to the weather. Trains were cancelled and as a result of the rugby, there were so many people trying to get home that Edinburgh Waverley was closed due to overcrowding.

I was told I would have to come back tomorrow and my ticket would be valid. Cross country’s web site said I couldn’t use my ticket until after 0930 which meant the first train out was around 1000. This was too late for me as I was meant to be home the night before. So I purchased a standard single from Waverley to Chesterfield and boarded the 0610 train. I knew I’d get a full refund on my first class return. However as I sat in standard class I was surrounded by people I. The same situation who were just using their normal return ticket and these were being accepted.

cross country trains are disputing with me, from behind their computer, that their tickets would have been open return and suitable, however I know this isn’t the case as I was chatting to them. is there anyone on the forum who used their return ticket (not open) before 0930 on Sunday the 9th Feb who can validate that these were happily being accepted by the train. With that information I can get a refund for the additional ticket purchase that wasn’t actually required.

many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
You didn't use the ticket due to service disruption, and you are therefore entitled to a full refund. This will come from the original retailer of the ticket which is why @yorkie has asked his question above.

Pablo138

You didn't use the ticket due to service disruption, and you are therefore entitled to a full refund. This will come from the original retailer of the ticket which is why @yorkie has asked his question above.
Many thanks. I will get full refund for my return ticket. They would give me a refund also for the additional single ticket, but dispute that people were able to travel on their original ticket before 0930.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Many thanks. I will get full refund for my return ticket. They would give me a refund also for the additional single ticket, but dispute that people were able to travel on their original ticket before 0930.
I think there was a dispute about the “do not travel until 0930” advice at the time, it was covered in a thread here. However this seems to have been referring to twitter stuff written on 9th about travel on the 10th:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...9th-10th-and-11th.199956/page-15#post-4429169
I think you’ll probably find XC staff are not all on the same page on this subject - and they’ll have deleted all the conflicting stuff on Twitter, and it’ll now be impossible to find out what was on their webpage or the NRES webpages that day.

HSP 2

That looks to me like you have been payed out in full.
I'm now asking a question under sec. 28 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel it's in 28.2 with out quoting it all, it's this section "or if necessary, provide overnight accommodation for you".
The OP has not mention if they did. If they did not would he be able to claim off them?

najaB

Veteran Member
The OP has not mention if they did. If they did not would he be able to claim off them?
I stand to be corrected on this, but in my opinion for this claim to be seen as reasonable the OP would have had to have asked for and been refused accommodation by the TOC.

Otherwise, what would stop someone, finding that their train has been cancelled, booking a night in the most expensive 5-star hotel they can find and then claiming the cost back from the TOC?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I stand to be corrected on this, but in my opinion for this claim to be seen as reasonable the OP would have had to have asked for and been refused accommodation by the TOC.
Agreed

HSP 2

Very fare point.

Status
Not open for further replies.