• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh Bus/Tram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I have seen one of these and all i can say is they are complete and utter runnish!!! i have feeling they burn well like the bendy busses.

Guinness

Established Member
It's the same that Bus in York. First are making a big thing over a Pink and Purple Bendy Bus....

Nick

The idea is simple-trick the punter into thinking its "as cool and as clean as a tram"....will these things have conductors or are we gonna have fare dodgers who are expected out of the goodness of their heart to pay at a machine?

Tom B

Established Member
I'd rather they stopped wasting money on this and spent it on buying some decent normal buses.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Buses are never a subsitute for a proper tram, light rail or metro system, but this vehicle does look very nice from the outside and I do like the interior pictures and if they ran properly might provide a better service where trams are unfeasable.

tramboy

The streetcar was originally slammed by the LRTA if i remember correctly, for basically providing a way for councils to "cop out" of building good LRT systems. There is no way, that a bus that still uses petrol and emits fumes, no matter what euro spec that engine meets can replace a tram.

IMO, Trams and LRT are never unfeasable. People said that they'd never fit tramlink back into the middle of Croydon, or NET back into Nottingham, but now those systems are the best perfroming in the country.

It's more public image than good quality transport these days, and that "thing" whilst looking good, provides a great way for people to avoid paying fares too...what with the driver seperated off, and probably never an inspector to see the tickets.

Sorry to be a bit harsh on it, but, modern Light Rail, if procured correctly, is a lot better than Superbuses.

Cheers

Dave

Tom B

Established Member
Of course if First or whoeever built a tram line they would need a professional driver (ha!), safety standards, it would need to be on time - none of which they can do as it is.

OTS

feltham2104 said:
I have seen one of these and all i can say is they are complete and utter runnish!!! i have feeling they burn well like the bendy busses.

I love nice sensible quotes!! :roll:
Care to explain your reasoning??
Also the burning bendy problem was due to a pipe problem which has now been rectified, so you're only about 2 years behind the times!

Guinness

Established Member
OTS said:
feltham2104 said:

I love nice sensible quotes!! :roll:
Care to explain your reasoning??
Also the burning bendy problem was due to a pipe problem which has now been rectified, so you're only about 2 years behind the times!

The Burn, Baby, Burn, Bendies were a totally diffrent model from First's FTR Streetcar. It's built by Wright IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.