• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh - Inverness - Glasgow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to get from Edinburgh to Inverness on 11 Oct and then Inverness to Glasgow on 13 Oct. All cheap advances gone. If I buy an off peak return Edinburgh - Inverness will that work, so on 13th travelling from 'Inverness to Edinburgh via Glasgow' and just breakng journey at Queen St and never actually getting on the Glasgow - Edinburgh train?

Unsure how this works and no chance I'm paying for 2 £40 singles for a journey I can do for less than £20 on the bus. But I don't want to get a bus :lol:

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alternatively can I use an Anytime Return Glasgow - Inverness that costs £62.80 to do the following

10 Oct: Glasgow - Edinburgh
11 Oct: Edinburgh - Inverness
13 Oct: Inverness - Glasgow

Those 3 journeys by bus are about £25, I can justify £62 to make it train, especially to miss the Friday evening Glasgow - Edinburgh bus which always takes forever.

Any other help much appreciated, I know you can be creative with these but I'm not sure of the exact rules.

T&Cs copied from the Scotrail 'Mixing Desk# for anytime return...

Origin:Glasgow Central/Queen Street
Destination:Inverness
Date:sat 11 Oct 2014
Valid by the route and Train Operator shown - outward on day of travel and following 4 days, return within 1 month

andythebrave

£41.70 for Edinburgh-Perth 0935-1052, Perth-Inverness 1154-1410, Inverness-Perth 1551-1804, Perth-Glasgow Queen Street 1916-2015. Don't know how the times stack up though.

£41.70 for Edinburgh-Perth 0935-1052, Perth-Inverness 1154-1410, Inverness-Perth 1551-1804, Perth-Glasgow Queen Street 1916-2015. Don't know how the times stack up though.

Sorry should've specified not wanting to leave Edinburgh until early afternoon.

How about a £61.60 Off-Peak Return Caldercruix - Inverness route via Aviemore? It is valid by any train on Saturday and Sunday and by any train timed to depart after 0915 Monday to Friday. East Coast offer itineraries via Edinburgh or Glasgow.

I can get on at Glasgow QS Friday 10th evening (I'll go after the evening peak) to travel to Edinburgh. Break overnight, travel Edinburgh to Inverness Saturday 11th and then return INverness to Glasgow on afternoon of Monday 13th Oct?

If that's the case, where and when do I buy that ticket, on the day from ticket office in Glasgow QS?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I assume Club 55 is no use for you? Next season of it starts 1st October, I believe.

No railcard :(

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
. . . . , where and when do I buy that ticket, on the day from ticket office in Glasgow QS?
Either from any station with a staffed ticket office on the day of travel, or before; from any of the Train Operating Companies ticket selling websites before the day of travel (I use East Coast); perhaps (though I cannot guarantee it) from ticket selling machines at those stations where their machines allow you to select a 'via' station, and from an on-train guard selling tickets (not necessarily on the day of travel).

I assume Club 55 is no use for you? Next season of it starts 1st October, I believe.
No railcard :(
Club 55 offers low-price flat rate fares for qualifying passengers, whether or not they hold a Railcard. Yes, the next 'round' of Club 55 on ScotRail trains runs between 1st October and 30th November offering return fares at £19 in standard class or £35 in First.

Last edited:

John @ home

Established Member
I can get on at Glasgow QS Friday 10th evening (I'll go after the evening peak) to travel to Edinburgh. Break overnight, travel Edinburgh to Inverness Saturday 11th and then return INverness to Glasgow on afternoon of Monday 13th Oct?
No, my suggestion of a £61.60 Off-Peak Return Caldercruix - Inverness route via Aviemore was made to meet your requirement that
I want to get from Edinburgh to Inverness on 11 Oct and then Inverness to Glasgow on 13 Oct.
If you're now starting your journey from Glasgow the previous day, then a different ticket or combination of tickets may be more suitable.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The Anytime return looks best for you. Glasgow - Inverness is valid via Edinburgh but Edinburgh - Inverness is not valid via Glasgow.

The Anytime return looks best for you. Glasgow - Inverness is valid via Edinburgh but Edinburgh - Inverness is not valid via Glasgow.

Thanks, just to clarify by repeating a question...

With an Anytime Return I can get on at Glasgow QS Friday 10th evening (I'll go after the evening peak) to travel to Edinburgh. Break overnight, travel Edinburgh to Inverness Saturday 11th and then return Inverness to Glasgow on afternoon of Monday 13th Oct?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, the outward portion of an Anytime Return is valid for five days.

Yes, the outward portion of an Anytime Return is valid for five days.

Appreciate the responses, I know more than most when it comes to trains, split tickets, advances, etc but routing guides and the like I ain't got a clue. I'm presuming that if there is any dispute on the Edinburgh - Inverness leg the guard will be able to check and confirm what you're saying?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Regarding the period of validity, it will be printed on your ticket. It will say "FIVE DAYS" explicitly.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Just to point out with an "Anytime" ticket you do not have to wait until the evening peak is over before starting your journey.

Kaltias

An Edinburgh - Inverness Off-peak return (SVR) via Aviemore is valid on a train from Inverness to Glasgow as far as Stirling or Perth, so you could buy a single from whichever station (usually Stirling) to Glasgow to complete validity.

cumfy

Scotrail are currently offering a 2 go anywhere return for £35, so you could do the caldercruix-inverness return for £35 (But you have to be an "Advance member"; but that just involves buying some carnet tickets)....

Personally, I can't see why one person can't use this, and that is being discussed on another thread (http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=106756)

Status
Not open for further replies.