• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh > London (and back) in March

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosscbrown

Looking for a little advice for Edin > London one weekend in March.

I'm on a rather tight budget (well, I'm not - but my traveling companion is). Ideally looking at leaving Edin' on Sat in London before 2pm and leaving London late-ish on the Sunday, however I would consider a Friday/Saturday combination instead.

Right now, I'm looking at £35ish first class each way on NXEC but I'd much rather take a Virgin service down the WCML.

Any suggestions?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumbaa

Established Member
Umm - use NXEC. Far cheaper now than by Virgin. Until the end of 2008, I had to travel to Glasgow. Although I live on the WCML, I always travelled by NXEC as they were cheaper - particularly first class.

First class

Established Member
You could get the sleeper, bargain berths from £19 to London.

You could then get an advance ticket on NXEC for the price you quoted.

i.e. leave EDB Friday night, arrive saturday morning (FSR)
leave London Saturday night, arrive sameday (NXEC)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The WCML is often a farce, so I suggest taking the quicker route via the ECML.

Taking the WCML you will get a regional DMU (Voyager or Desiro) to Carlisle/Preston, and then a Pendolino from there, and there's a lot less choice of services, and then the worry of connections if your first train is delayed.

£35 is good value for first class - I'd take that while it's still available!

Status
Not open for further replies.