• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh->London CIV?->Calais

Status
Not open for further replies.

ywy1234

Hello,

I am thinking of taking a train from Edinburgh to London either by Caledonian Sleeper or EastCoast, and joining with my girlfriend who is in London, to have a day trip to Calais using the day return ticket via "Stena PO"

My questions:

1. Is it possible to buy the day return ticket from London to Calais in Edinburgh Waverley? Can I buy it in advance of travel?

2. Can I buy a ticket to London CIV from Edinburgh? As seen in other threads, those tickets to London CIV might be cheaper and more flexible. I found the following on the NRE website, so I assume I can?

Travelling from around the UK to join an International train
National Rail offers flexible fares for travel to London, Ashford, Harwich or Dover to connect with a Eurostar or 'railandsail' departure to Europe. These are separate tickets which should be used in conjunction with your international travel ticket. Ask at your local station for a ticket to "London International" and show your Eurostar or 'railandsail' ticket.
Tickets issued to "London International" have fewer time restrictions (often none at all) compared with normal tickets and they ensure "Contract for International Carriage of Passengers and Luggage by Rail (CIV) - PDF" apply to your whole journey, rather than just in Europe.
Tickets to "London International" also include the London Underground across London (if necessary) to St Pancras (or Liverpool Street, Charing Cross or Victoria).

3. How much does it cost for a return/single ticket from Edinburgh to London CIV? I know there are many options, even Advance ticket? How to check the price and buy the Advance ticket if it is available? BTW, I have a 1625 railcard.

4. Can I buy two day return tickets to Calais on different dates, such that I can use one for outbound, and use another one for return? I didn't find anything saying like "the return part is only valid after the outbound part is used" for any return train tickets issued in UK.

Thank you very much!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
3. How much does it cost for a return/single ticket from Edinburgh to London CIV? I know there are many options, even Advance ticket? How to check the price and buy the Advance ticket if it is available? BTW, I have a 1625 railcard.
I'll leave the other questions to experts on such matters, but I will give you the fares listed in Avantix Traveller NFM11 (I'll assume Standard class travel is required and ignore the Sleeper fares):-

Edinburgh [EDB] to London Intl(CIV) [LNE]

Rte: Any Permitted
Euro Std Single (EOS)
£40.90.
No restriction applies.

Rte: EC & Connections
Advance
Price ranges from £10.90 to £39.95.
Booked train only.

Above fares inclusive of 16-25 Railcard discount.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
1. Is it possible to buy the day return ticket from London to Calais in Edinburgh Waverley?

Yes. You can buy it from any National Rail ticket office.

Can I buy it in advance of travel?

Yes.

2. Can I buy a ticket to London CIV from Edinburgh?

I do not believe that you are eligible for a CIV ticket as you're not connecting with a Eurostar service, however I will wait for further confirmation from others who are more experienced in international travel.

4. Can I buy two day return tickets to Calais on different dates, such that I can use one for outbound, and use another one for return? I didn't find anything saying like "the return part is only valid after the outbound part is used" for any return train tickets issued in UK.

Yes, you can. There is no requirement for the outbound portion to have been used. However please note that once the return portion has been used, the outbound portion is no longer valid.

Thank you very much!

You're welcome.

ywy1234

I'll leave the other questions to experts on such matters, but I will give you the fares listed in Avantix Traveller NFM11 (I'll assume Standard class travel is required and ignore the Sleeper fares):-

Edinburgh [EDB] to London Intl(CIV) [LNE]

Rte: Any Permitted
Euro Std Single (EOS)
£40.90.
No restriction applies.

Rte: EC & Connections
Advance
Price ranges from £10.90 to £39.95.
Booked train only.

Above fares inclusive of 16-25 Railcard discount.

Thanks! I am a little bit sad since there are no return ticket options :(
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I do not believe that you are eligible for a CIV ticket as you're not connecting with a Eurostar service, however I will wait for further confirmation from others who are more experienced in international travel.

Why not :( The NRE website does mention 'railandsail':

National Rail offers flexible fares for travel to London, Ashford, Harwich or Dover to connect with a Eurostar or 'railandsail' departure to Europe.

And it also mentions "Charing Cross" and "Victoria" besides "St Pancras".

Tickets to "London International" also include the London Underground across London (if necessary) to St Pancras (or Liverpool Street, Charing Cross or Victoria).

Clip

Established Member
You cant use a CIV as as above its only to be used in conjuntion with a Eurostar ticket or a ferry ticket to

http://www.seat61.com/UKconnections.htm#London International CIV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIV_(rail_travel)

United KingdomPassengers travelling via London to connect with an onward international train, or rail inclusive ferry journey (Rosslare, Dublin, Hoek van Holland, or Eurostar to France/Belgium) are able to buy UK domestic segment tickets to the virtual destination London International (CIV), whose station code is LNE. Such London International (CIV) tickets, in principle, are only issued upon presentation of the existing international "CIV"-denoted ticket, but provide additional benefits such as unrestricted peak-time travel and apply the benefits of guaranteed onward connections.

wintonian

Established Member
SWT refuse to sell the fare and I had significant trouble with EMT so don't expect it to be easy.

If you hunt arround the archives there is a theread trim last summer where I detail the ticket buying and travel logistics etc.

A search for Calais should do the trick without too many results.

Can't really look ATM as I am in York so stuck to using Mobile devices.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

ywy1234

Why Calais is not international?! it is rail and ferry route indeed!

You cant use a CIV as as above its only to be used in conjuntion with a Eurostar ticket or a ferry ticket to

http://www.seat61.com/UKconnections.htm#London International CIV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIV_(rail_travel)

United KingdomPassengers travelling via London to connect with an onward international train, or rail inclusive ferry journey (Rosslare, Dublin, Hoek van Holland, or Eurostar to France/Belgium) are able to buy UK domestic segment tickets to the virtual destination London International (CIV), whose station code is LNE. Such London International (CIV) tickets, in principle, are only issued upon presentation of the existing international "CIV"-denoted ticket, but provide additional benefits such as unrestricted peak-time travel and apply the benefits of guaranteed onward connections.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Why not :( The NRE website does mention 'railandsail':

Yes, but I don't think the Calais ticket is a 'railandsail' product.

I can't seem to find the reference at the moment, hence my mention for further confirmation.

Clip

Established Member
Why Calais is not international?! it is rail and ferry route indeed!

Dont ask me Im only helping you out with the information you are asking for. I doubt they are going to change it in time for your journey but its worth asking them why it isnt.

tannedfrog

Yes, you can. There is no requirement for the outbound portion to have been used. However please note that once the return portion has been used, the outbound portion is no longer valid.
The ferry company might see things rather differently though

I seem to remember they have ways of stopping car drivers using the relevant parts of two "day returns" instead of a "period return"

ywy1234

Yes, but I don't think the Calais ticket is a 'railandsail' product.

I can't seem to find the reference at the moment, hence my mention for further confirmation.

I see, why do they mention Victoria and Charing Cross besides St Pancras? I don't know other tickets that "railandsail" from these two stations. The day return ticket to Calais is the only one AFAIK.

Thanks!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Dont ask me Im only helping you out with the information you are asking for. I doubt they are going to change it in time for your journey but its worth asking them why it isnt.

Thanks for your help! I was just surprised :(

Clip

Established Member
I see, why do they mention Victoria and Charing Cross besides St Pancras? I don't know other tickets that "railandsail" from these two stations. The day return ticket to Calais is the only one AFAIK.

Thanks!

Probably left over from the time of the rail ferries or something.

wintonian

Established Member
Tickets to Calais come under shipping links just like any other through ticket using a ferry, railsail is just a kind of brand name used by the parties involved in the Irish routes.

I am convinced this is a CIV ticket by definition I.e. governed by the regulations, after all that is all CIV is; a set of regulations governing international rail journeys.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I think it is perhaps not CIV because there is no international rail element. The rail element of the journey is wholly in the UK. The ticket is valid on the ferry due to a special arrangement with P&O, but there is no arrangement for its acceptance on any rail companies in other countries.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
I think it is perhaps not CIV because there is no international rail element. The rail element of the journey is wholly in the UK. The ticket is valid on the ferry due to a special arrangement with P&O, but there is no arrangement for its acceptance on any rail companies in other countries.

Are SailRail tickets to Rosslare Harbour marked CIV? I thought that they were (but am willing to be corrected) and they don't include any non-UK rail travel.

wintonian

Established Member
Tickets to Dublin are marked CIV and ones issued at.connaly are written out on CIV stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.