• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh - London when LNER not running to KGX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramboni

I live in Edinburgh and I've managed to book theatre tickets in London for 29th Feb 2020 a week before NR and LNER announced that this will be a weekend when Kings Cross is closed for the remodelling and I should not travel! It looks like the only other option is to try Virgin Trains via Carlisle. They're offering Super Off peak fares for that weekend already. Does anyone think that they will ever offer Advanced fares on this route on that weekend, and if so, when are they likely to be available?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes Advance tickets will be available. Currently they're selling tickets for weekend travel in early January so it will likely be a month or two yet before they go on sale.

It's worth noting that flexible tickets like the Super Off-Peak are theoretically available up to a year in advance hence why you're seeing them now.

sheff1

Established Member
I don't know if you were intending to stay over before/after the show, but Easyjet are currently offering returns at £52 from Edinburgh - Luton, out either Friday or Saturday, returning Sunday - all at sensible times.

Ramboni

I don't know if you were intending to stay over before/after the show, but Easyjet are currently offering returns at £52 from Edinburgh - Luton, out either Friday or Saturday, returning Sunday - all at sensible times.
Thanks, yes, saw that deal, but keen not to fly unless there's no other choice.

Ramboni

I’d say there’s no other choice
Well, there's a clear rail choice on the west coast to Euston, my question was really whether the operator will offer cheaper fares on that route for that weekend given the east coast isn't running to kings cross.

Darandio

Established Member
Well, there's a clear rail choice on the west coast to Euston, my question was really whether the operator will offer cheaper fares on that route for that weekend given the east coast isn't running to kings cross.

The main issue now is that although there will probably be some reasonable advances once released, there will be many in your situation that will snap them up fairly quickly!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

There will be cheaper fares released closer to the date of travel how cheap they will be is hard to say! If you want to lock in a price then that EasyJet booking is the best way to go. If you're happy to wait and see what happens then make sure you check regularly (some companies will send email alerts when a specific date is on sale). But even then there's no guarantee on what the price will be. Considering the disruption on the East Coast Mainline I can well believe that Virgin will not be making the cheapest tiers of tickets available even when they do go on sale.

I mean the cheapest tier appears to be £24.00 each way but I'd be staggered if that is actually available on that weekend and the tiers go up from there!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It won’t be Virgin Trains, but the WCML is surely going to be a lot less hassle than flying?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
It won’t be Virgin Trains, but the WCML is surely going to be a lot less hassle than flying?

Doubtful, the direct Euston-Edinburgh trains go via Birmingham (adding 45 minutes to the journey time), otherwise it's a change. The cheapest advance tiers are rare on the WCML on a Sunday, especially north of Preston, even without disruption on the ECML.

If it were me, I'd fly.

Established Member
Hahaha, Via Brum on a Sunday with the East Coast shut? The trains are likely to be Full and Standing. As much as I dislike easyjet I'd be flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.