• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh to Aberdeen - Scotrail HST or LNER Azuma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Hello people. Now I'll probably stick to the Scotrail HST for First Class given the echoes of their GWR careers. However I have to be pleased that LNER help out massively by running 9-car Azumas where possible - nearly 105 of the seats are First Class vs like 30 on the Scotrail HST. Plus with the excellent catering I understand, it's hard to ignore LNER.

Please may I have a little bit of help in deciding how I should go from Edinburgh to Aberdeen when I eventually get to Scotland? It's the day after I get there from Oxford.

If you were me and the HST held a lot of childhood memories, especially if you've travelled on many GWR examples, but admired the Azumas just as positively but LNER at the same time (I think everyone loves LNER) what would you do as regards First Class...

1. Aim for the Scotrail HST service (4 or 5 coaches if the 5th gets inserted) but you risk paying a First Class fare to potentially be Turbostarred to Aberdeen?

2 Or catch an LNER 9-car Azuma and be able to not only reserve one of nearly 105 First Class seats but a forward facing seat (I'd say LNER are extremely reliable in making sure Coach A is at the northen end!) There's a good catering service too and I believe an order online service.

If this was the days of Scotrail Class 170's and 9-car HST's then I'd definitely do a 9-car HST without hesitation!

I know some people don't like the Azumas but I rather like the pictures of the red First Class seats.

Either way, I'd catch the 18:18 LNER back in First Class.

I believe LNER fares are cheaper but that's sort of irrelevant here.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
LNER First Class if decent fare is my choice. I wouldn't bother with First Class on Scotrail, unless the fare is not much more.

ScotTrains

It's a difficult one. The Azuma isn't very good at all. The seats are hard and upright and not suitable for a long journey. Also, annoyingly, there is a distinct lack of tables for two. The food service is good though, with complimentary hot food and alcohol. You'll also receive LNER lounge access at Waverly with any 1st class ticket valid on LNER.

The scotrail HST is much better in terms of comfort. They do provide some hot items (soup/ bacon rolls) and have an onboard self service area with snacks, fruit, soft drinks etc. Scotrail have a lounge in Aberdeen and are also building a brand new one there too due to open within a year. Unfortunately, they are very strict on who gets in. They don't even let Scotrail 1st class advance ticket holders in! One way round this is to buy a cheap 1st class ticket from Dyce to Aberdeen. This is also useful if you decide to use LNER as it would allow lounge access in Aberdeen and Edinburgh. Basically, Scotrail's lounge policy encourages you not to travel with Scotrail! The lounge is not bad with a good selection of snacks and is usually extremely quiet.

Personally, the complimentary dinner and alcohol is the main reason my wife and I like to travel 1st class. I would therefore choose LNER if traveling at breakfast or dinner time and Scotrail for other times or weekends.

It's also possible to see the actual train running that day using realtimetrains. Depending on your ticket type you might be able to avoid the Turbostar if you want to travel on an HST. You could also break your journey (eg Dundee) to increase your chances on getting an HST on at least one section.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
It's a difficult one. The Azuma isn't very good at all. The seats are hard and upright and not suitable for a long journey. Also, annoyingly, there is a distinct lack of tables for two. The food service is good though, with complimentary hot food and alcohol. You'll also receive LNER lounge access at Waverly with any 1st class ticket valid on LNER.

The scotrail HST is much better in terms of comfort. They do provide some hot items (soup/ bacon rolls) and have an onboard self service area with snacks, fruit, soft drinks etc. Scotrail have a lounge in Aberdeen and are also building a brand new one there too due to open within a year. Unfortunately, they are very strict on who gets in. They don't even let Scotrail 1st class advance ticket holders in! One way round this is to buy a cheap 1st class ticket from Dyce to Aberdeen. This is also useful if you decide to use LNER as it would allow lounge access in Aberdeen and Edinburgh. Basically, Scotrail's lounge policy encourages you not to travel with Scotrail! The lounge is not bad with a good selection of snacks and is usually extremely quiet.

Personally, the complimentary dinner and alcohol is the main reason my wife and I like to travel 1st class. I would therefore choose LNER if traveling at breakfast or dinner time and Scotrail for other times or weekends.

It's also possible to see the actual train running that day using realtimetrains. Depending on your ticket type you might be able to avoid the Turbostar if you want to travel on an HST. You could also break your journey (eg Dundee) to increase your chances on getting an HST on at least one section.

Good point - forgive my exaggeration in wanting to make history and reach as North as I can by HST allowing a break (my first trip meaning Aberdeen in this case) but I do like a compromise where possible. For example, the worst substitution with an Azuma is a 5-car (hardly disappointing, just 4 coaches less).

At the end of the day, as long as I get a good service, that's all that matters!

If Scotrail fares from Edinburgh to Aberdeen, post covid even when passenger numbers are down, remain as they are) then I'm definitely going with LNER - no way am I paying around £40 for a Standard Class anytime fare when many people would be use to paying that much for a First Class Advance Single which isn't bad I feel.

Knowing me, I'll probably take my chances if it means reaching Aberdeen on an HST if fares return to normal - time will tell.

Cheers for the tips - people are more than welcome to keep them coming.

greyman42

Established Member
The comfort and ambience in first class is far superior in a Scotrail HST compared to an Azuma.

David M

Might be mistaken but I understand that 1st class is not currently in use on the Scotrail HSTs - not unrestricted but closed. Happy to be wrong.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Might be mistaken but I understand that 1st class is not currently in use on the Scotrail HSTs - not unrestricted but closed. Happy to be wrong.
It was unavailable but I don't know if it was closed off or declassified to give extra space for distancing, having not had the opportunity to see the reality.

Catering was definitely not operating though, still isn't.

Butts

Veteran Member
What about XC when they resume services ?

Better seats than an Azuma but not as good as the HST.

Freebies - probably falls between the two.

Steddenm

ScotRail have suspended First Class on all their services at present and on a HST this area is closed for staff use.

The ScotRail HSTs are very comfortable in First Class (ex-GWR First Class seats) and the 80x Azuma fleet with LNER are quite uncomfortable (and I used to do Aberdeen to London on these quite a bit pre-Covid). The CrossCountry 22x Voyagers are quite comfortable but I find them a bit loud.

As @ScotTrains has pointed out, the First Class meal options on LNER are very good (when they bring it back), ScotRail's is a bit hit and miss and CrossCountry's I think it's non-existent North of Edinburgh.

route101

Established Member
What about XC when they resume services ?

Better seats than an Azuma but not as good as the HST.

Freebies - probably falls between the two.

Is there any XC catering north of Edinburgh?

Butts

Veteran Member
ScotRail have suspended First Class on all their services at present and on a HST this area is closed for staff use.

The ScotRail HSTs are very comfortable in First Class (ex-GWR First Class seats) and the 80x Azuma fleet with LNER are quite uncomfortable (and I used to do Aberdeen to London on these quite a bit pre-Covid). The CrossCountry 22x Voyagers are quite comfortable but I find them a bit loud.

As @ScotTrains has pointed out, the First Class meal options on LNER are very good (when they bring it back), ScotRail's is a bit hit and miss and CrossCountry's I think it's non-existent North of Edinburgh.

Forget the Meal Options, some of us are more concerned with a "Liquid Lunch / Dinner" in the form of Scotch.

Agree about the seats though, AZUMA = Ironing Board HST = Armchair

Scotrail84

Established Member

Thats correct, all first class areas on HSTs and 170s are not for public use at the moment and for staff only.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Forget the Meal Options, some of us are more concerned with a "Liquid Lunch / Dinner" in the form of Scotch.

Agree about the seats though, AZUMA = Ironing Board HST = Armchair

Bevy is completely banned on all ScotRail services the now so there will be no liquid lunch for you chummy boy.

Established Member
Not at the moment or at all !!!

Forgot they binned it a while back for some spurious reason :E

Do XC still operate HST's on any of their routes ?
Completely false. Catering has been on the morning service for a good few years now. And was introduced onto the late service last year.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Since when? It was available on my last trips in November/December.

Months now. You won't get near 1st class on an HST. On a 170 you might get away being in the front 1st but you may get asked to move as they're designated for staff safe areas.

Aictos

Established Member
Months now. You won't get near 1st class on an HST. On a 170 you might get away being in the front 1st but you may get asked to move as they're designated for staff safe areas.
Even the standard class areas by the cabs are a no go for passengers as they're a staff only area.

greyman42

Established Member
So do you get a refund if you have bought a first class ticket?

route101

Established Member
No point travelling in Scotrail First Class at the moment. Only time i ever have was a Glasgow to Newcastle first advance, which was cheaper them the peak Edinburgh to Glasgow fare.

Pretty sure Cross Country had catering on select Glasgow services, did well on a Saturday towards Edinburgh, even had booze multibuys which have been outlawed in Scottish Terra Firma

Established Member
No point travelling in Scotrail First Class at the moment. Only time i ever have was a Glasgow to Newcastle first advance, which was cheaper them the peak Edinburgh to Glasgow fare.

Pretty sure Cross Country had catering on select Glasgow services, did well on a Saturday towards Edinburgh, even had booze multibuys which have been outlawed in Scottish Terra Firma
The only services without catering to Glasgow was the first 2 and the last 2.

AMR

On Moderation
I would go on Scot rail because its a class 43, and the fact its a HST unit as well, its a no brainer for me.

Cambus731

In my case I'd go for an Scotrail train, because I get free travel on Abellio trains.

Established Member
I'd go for the Azuma personally, not just because they're better *ducks* but it avoids the risk of a droning 170 turning up!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Go for an Azuma, but try and get a seat in the end coach for a quieter trip as that coach has no engine underneath

JModulo

I'd go for the Azuma. I don't mind travelling on them and the seats in 1st aren't too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.