• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh to Bristol

Status
Not open for further replies.

ian13

Hi all,

Quick split question:
Return travel from Edinburgh to Bristol Temple Meads

Out: 7th or 8th June
Return: 9th or 10th June (2-3 nights)
Railcard: 16-25

Looking for any cheap combination/route...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
Hi all,

Quick split question:
Return travel from Edinburgh to Bristol Temple Meads

Out: 7th or 8th June
Return: 9th or 10th June (2-3 nights)
Railcard: 16-25

Looking for any cheap combination/route...

http://www.easyjet.com/EN

ian13

http://www.easyjet.com/EN

Well, it's possible to do it for £60 return with slightly different dates (6th - 9th), but once you add transfers in/decide 5am is too early it gets rather less convenient...

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
For future reference, the cheapest way to do this is using advance tickets (either direct or from Edinburgh to London and then from London to Bristol). However, you need to do this well in advance to get the cheapest tickets - it's too late now because the prices have gone up to the point that a walk-up ticket is now the same price.

It looks to me like the £100.40 NOT LONDON Off Peak Return ticket is the best choice now. It's possible to get that fare down a little by using obscure routes and stations, but the journey would take all day.

Get a ticket from Glasgow (priced by Virgin, valid via Edinburgh) to avoid CrossCountry's Off Peak restriction scam.

ian13

For future reference, the cheapest way to do this is using advance tickets (either direct or from Edinburgh to London and then from London to Bristol). However, you need to do this well in advance to get the cheapest tickets - it's too late now because the prices have gone up to the point that a walk-up ticket is now the same price.

It looks to me like the £100.40 NOT LONDON Off Peak Return ticket is the best choice now. It's possible to get that fare down a little by using obscure routes and stations, but the journey would take all day.

A very good point - especially with really long journeys like this.

Get a ticket from Glasgow (priced by Virgin, valid via Edinburgh) to avoid CrossCountry's Off Peak restriction scam.

That's very useful - thanks!

calc7

Established Member
Somebody should build a site whose purpose is to suggest similar SVRs priced by other operators (EC, Virgin, TPE, FGW etc) that get round XC's restrictions.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Somebody should build a site whose purpose is to suggest similar SVRs priced by other operators (EC, Virgin, TPE, FGW etc) that get round XC's restrictions.

But then XC might try to claim all of those flows? I wouldn't be surprised if they did. :roll:

sonic2009

Established Member
You could try :

Bristol TM - Manchester Piccadilly
Manchester Piccadilly - Edinburgh

First Transpennine offer 34% discount on advances fares for holders of 16-25 railcard, when booked online.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

calc7

Established Member
You could try :

Bristol TM - Manchester Piccadilly
Manchester Piccadilly - Edinburgh

First Transpennine offer 34% discount on advances fares for holders of 16-25 railcard, when booked online.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

You mean 50%? 34% is the de facto discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.