• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh to Dundee (via Perth)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosscbrown

Hi everyone,

I'd greatly appreciated some help on this one: On Friday I'll be meeting my mother in Perth but then spending the weekend in Dundee. Would it be possible to get a ticket that covers Edinburgh to Perth to Dundee to Edinburgh?

I'd ideally like to leave Edinburgh around 10am on Friday and I'll be coming back off-peak. I've got a 16-25 railcard.

As far as I can see, the only valid route to Dundee is the shortest one - I can't take a sneaky detour. So for tickets, what's going to be the cheapest?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Altnabreac

Established Member
An Edinburgh - Invergowrie Off Peak return (£27.30 pre railcard discount) passes the Fares Check rule for travel via both Perth and Dundee and is priced the same as an Edinburgh - Dundee. Restriction of course is that it is only valid on the (7) trains that stop at Invergowrie.

An alternative would be to travel out via Stirling as a Linlithgow - Dundee is valid either via Stirling or Edinburgh. Its £28.30 (pre railcard discount) and you'd need to buy an additional Edinburgh - Linlithgow single for £4.80 (pre railcard discount) as you can't use the return portion before the outward.

In practice I suspect an Edinburgh - Dundee return would be passed fairly happily between Edinburgh - Perth - Dundee as it doesnt seem an unreasonable route even though technically its not valid.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I always used to think that it [via Stirling & Perth] was valid and as it seems a reasonable route. In practice I don't think that you would encounter any difficulty. NB this is not an endorsement!

Historically the Caledonian and then L. M. & S. route would have taken you that way so if you can find a 1936 (e.g.) routing guide then you would be sorted. :p

Even more tongue in cheek (:p) - obtain a note from your doctor stating that you have a morbid fear of crossing large railway viaducts over wild Scottish Firths - there must be a phobia out there for that! Of course you would have to find a miracle cure to enable you to return via the direct route.

Although the routeing guide forbids this particular route there is a Local Scottish Routing Guide here.

Personally, I think Edinburgh - Dundee should be valid via both Stirling & Perth and Ladybank (and again from there via Perth or Cupar) - this would allow passengers to complete a circular journey on one ticket - this would be a great marketing tool for tourists &c..

Altnabreac

Established Member
Would you interpret the instruction in the local easements that Edinburgh - Aberdeen is permitted via Perth as applying equally to Dundee (or Arbroath etc) as they are en route to Aberdeen.

If so this would be fine for the OP as I believe via ladybank was his preferred option anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.