• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh to Fleet - Sunday nights with a sleeper berth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Badger

My partners wishes to travel from Edinburgh to Fleet, using the Caledonian Sleeper, with a berth, on the night of 24th June.

I realise tickets aren't available this far in advance, but I have been doing some research, so that I am able to advise her on the best options when tickets go on sale.

As far as I can establish there are never any bargain berths available on the Sunday night sleeper; is anyone able to confirm whether this is correct?

Also I can't see a way of booking a through ticket from Edinburgh to Fleet, that includes a sleeping berth; the only tickets that appear to be on offer are seated ones. It would therefore seem to me that the cheapest way is going to be a single from Edinburgh to Kings Cross, Oystercard across London and a single from Waterloo to Fleet. Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Cheers,

Kevin

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dzug2

It would I think be trivially (90p) cheaper to use the Oyster from Kings Cross (??Euston) through to Surbiton, swipe out there and get a single on to Fleet

Is it worth the extra journey time to save that 90p?

paul1609

Established Member
My partners wishes to travel from Edinburgh to Fleet, using the Caledonian Sleeper, with a berth, on the night of 24th June.

I realise tickets aren't available this far in advance, but I have been doing some research, so that I am able to advise her on the best options when tickets go on sale.

As far as I can establish there are never any bargain berths available on the Sunday night sleeper; is anyone able to confirm whether this is correct?

Also I can't see a way of booking a through ticket from Edinburgh to Fleet, that includes a sleeping berth; the only tickets that appear to be on offer are seated ones. It would therefore seem to me that the cheapest way is going to be a single from Edinburgh to Kings Cross, Oystercard across London and a single from Waterloo to Fleet. Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Cheers,

Kevin

Unless your partner is an avid train spotter or a very heavy sleeper I'd suggest flying to Gatwick (BA £52) , a train to Farnborough North and a taxi to fleet is likely to be a far more pleasant journey and unless you are happy to share a cabin likely to be cheaper if booked at this distance.

Bill Badger

Unless your partner is an avid train spotter or a very heavy sleeper I'd suggest flying to Gatwick (BA £52) , a train to Farnborough North and a taxi to fleet is likely to be a far more pleasant journey and unless you are happy to share a cabin likely to be cheaper if booked at this distance.

I looked at that, but the problem is she can't leave Edinburgh until about 10pm, after the last flight of the evening has departed and needs to be in Fleet, by 9am, which is too early to get there, via Gatwick in the morning. I looked at flying via Southampton too, but the timings weren't any good that way either.

Can anyone confirm if a through Edinburgh to Fleet, sleeper berth ticket actually exist?!

Cheers,

Kevin

John @ home

Established Member
Can anyone confirm if a through Edinburgh to Fleet, sleeper berth ticket actually exist?!
If a through ticket is more important than a keen price, then a £134.70 Super Off-Peak Single Edinburgh - Fleet route + Any Permitted is valid in a Standard sleeper berth upon payment of a sleeper supplement. If your partner also needs to travel Fleet to Edinburgh by train, then a Super Off-Peak Return Edinburgh - Fleet (or Fleet - Edinburgh) route + Any Permitted is a more reasonable £135.70. Edinburgh - Fleet tickets have validity code 1K; Fleet - Edinburgh tickets code 9F.

£40.20 supplement per single journey gives Standard Class interavailable ticket holders use of a berth in a Standard Class cabin. £57.20 supplement per single journey gives Standard Class interavailable ticket holders exclusive use of a Solo berth in a Standard Class cabin.

Last edited:

Bill Badger

If a through ticket is more important than a keen price, then a £134.70 Super Off-Peak Single Edinburgh - Fleet route + Any Permitted is valid in a Standard sleeper berth upon payment of a sleeper supplement. If your partner also needs to travel Fleet to Edinburgh by train, then a Super Off-Peak Return Edinburgh - Fleet (or Fleet - Edinburgh) route + Any Permitted is a more reasonable £135.70. Edinburgh - Fleet tickets have validity code 1K; Fleet - Edinburgh tickets code 9F.

£40.20 supplement per single journey gives Standard Class interavailable ticket holders use of a berth in a Standard Class cabin. £57.20 supplement per single journey gives Standard Class interavailable ticket holders exclusive use of a Solo berth in a Standard Class cabin.

Thanks for advice - sounds like the best plan is going to be to buy an advance berth single when they come out from Edinburgh to London and then a single onto Fleet.

Cheers

David Goddard

Established Member
Interesting to note that Journey planner advises to alight from the sleeper at Watford Junction, then take London Overground to Clapham Junction for onward connection to Fleet, arriving at 08:19, as opposed to 09:08 when going into Euston then across to Waterloo

Bill Badger

Interesting to note that Journey planner advises to alight from the sleeper at Watford Junction, then take London Overground to Clapham Junction for onward connection to Fleet, arriving at 08:19, as opposed to 09:08 when going into Euston then across to Waterloo

I guess that because 53 minutes (which is the time between the Sleeper's arrival and the departure of the Fleet service) is below the official minimum cross London transfer time. In normal circumstances that should be ample although I will suggest the Watford alternative to her - thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.