• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh To Glasgow line: Future trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PYROOGOBBO

Nice :D

will some 170's be replacing the 158's that goes to stirling via grahamston? or is that for other lines

would love to see some 322's or such on the line though

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clansman

Established Member

will some 170's be replacing the 158's that goes to stirling via grahamston? or is that for other lines

385s will take over all services to Falkirk by 2018, and Stirling/Dunblane/Alloa by 2019. The only instance you'll see a diesel train via Falkirk from 2019 is the odd Perth service in the morning and night, as well as the sleeper.

No chance you'll see any BREL units on EG unless something drastic happens.

That line is in the process of being electrified too, soon central belt trains will all be 385s.

SC318250

Reported wires now expected to go live 23 June

380 wont be far behind this

Thanks to Scot-rail group

PYROOGOBBO

That line is in the process of being electrified too, soon central belt trains will all be 385s.

i thought it wasn't gonna be done till like 2023 or something, then again cumbernauld is electrified so half of the work is already done.

so by september, it'll be 380's + 170's, then 385's will replace them completely?

InOban

Established Member
That's the plan! And I've had 23rd June confirmed. They realised there were a huge number of steel structures whose clearances had to verified.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
i thought it wasn't gonna be done till like 2023 or something, then again cumbernauld is electrified so half of the work is already done.

so by september, it'll be 380's + 170's, then 385's will replace them completely?

The current tranche of Scottish electrification is planned to complete by December 2019. The last line to be done will be Shotts. We can expect to find out this year what plans Transport Scotland have for further electrification. It won't be long until the bulk of the EGIP structures work is done and the teams would be ready to move on to another line, like Maryhill or Barrhead/East Kilbride.

Clansman

Established Member
Scotrail staff were given documents detailing what the timetable changes will bring, service by service - and it still has electric traction operating on E-G on May 21st.

Someone's having an off day if they think that 380s will be operating by the 21st...

Scotrail staff were given documents detailing what the timetable changes will bring, service by service - and it still has electric traction operating on E-G on May 21st.

Someone's having an off day if they think that 380s will be operating by the 21st...

The new May version of the Edinburgh > Glasgow timetable doesn't appear any different; is there another - private? - timetable that'll be introduced with electric services?

signallerscot

The document you're referring to, the Timetable Change Brief, makes it clear that electric traction will be introduced "during the currency of the timetable" and does not give a specific date for this anywhere in the document. As you would know if you had it in front of you!

Clansman

Established Member
The document you're referring to, the Timetable Change Brief, makes it clear that electric traction will be introduced "during the currency of the timetable" and does not give a specific date for this anywhere in the document. As you would know if you had it in front of you!

Right enough, I misread this as if it were still going ahead on 21st May - even though I knew already that date was already dead in the water.

Not looking forward to the Polmont diversion on the last Perth on Monday to Thursday nights though...that's going to be absolute murder!

Last edited:

PYROOGOBBO

after watching some 334's yesterday, i gotta admit i'm kinda looking forward to the 380's, we've had 170's forever and a change would be kinda nice, not saying the 170's are bad just... nice to have something new

i just hope the 380's don't have the stuffy problem in the summer that the 170's have, 170's become an oven in the summer.

route101

Established Member
after watching some 334's yesterday, i gotta admit i'm kinda looking forward to the 380's, we've had 170's forever and a change would be kinda nice, not saying the 170's are bad just... nice to have something new

i just hope the 380's don't have the stuffy problem in the summer that the 170's have, 170's become an oven in the summer.

The 170s are comfortable enough , they are cosier than the EMUs. One thing is they accelerate very slowly.

Established Member
Nothing on Scotrail is as cosy or stuffy as a 158 with broken aircon.

Clansman

Established Member
The 170s are comfortable enough , they are cosier than the EMUs. One thing is they accelerate very slowly.

Agree with you about the feel of the interior. As much as I look forward to the HSTs, the warm feel of the 170s will be missed with the big and open Mk3 coaches!

From a passenger point of view, I can't fathom why folk are looking forward to the 380s - they are a downgrade in quality from the 170s on the comfort by a sizeable degree.

GrimShady

Established Member
Agree with you about the feel of the interior. As much as I look forward to the HSTs, the warm feel of the 170s will be missed with the big and open Mk3 coaches!

From a passenger point of view, I can't fathom why folk are looking forward to the 380s - they are a downgrade in quality from the 170s on the comfort by a sizeable degree.

I agree, although I haven't traveled in one yet they look horrible inside. Cheap, basic, no carpets and ridiculously bright.... that's First Class!

I thought the 170s were fairly good quality for the E&G route only hindered by the lack of a gangway connection. I will miss them on this run but not on the Highland routes.

I agree, although I haven't traveled in one yet they look horrible inside. Cheap, basic, no carpets and ridiculously bright.... that's First Class!

I thought the 170s were fairly good quality for the E&G route only hindered by the lack of a gangway connection. I will miss them on this run but not on the Highland routes.

Do keep in mind that post-EGIP journey times between Waverley and Queen St will be 42 minutes, people won't be on these trains for very long. A big change from the current almost hour between EDB and GLQ.

Haymarket to Queen St will be just over 35 minutes; those that get on / off at intermediate stations will not be on the train for much longer than 20.

gsnedders

Established Member
Do keep in mind that post-EGIP journey times between Waverley and Queen St will be 42 minutes, people won't be on these trains for very long. A big change from the current almost hour between EDB and GLQ.

Haymarket to Queen St will be just over 35 minutes; those that get on / off at intermediate stations will not be on the train for much longer than 20.

I'm far from the only person who typically works on those trains in the middle of the day; make it impossible to do work on the train comfortably and then there's almost no advantage over a car which offers a door-to-door service and frequently quicker (especially off-peak when traffic isn't a concern).

GrimShady

Established Member

Not far off the Push-Pull Mk2 formations from the 70s then. It doesn't mean they should have the decor of a first bus, its still an Intercity route.

Last edited:

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

Erm

I'm fairly sure 380s don't have first class...

jopsuk

Veteran Member
wait....

is there a chance i could catch the odd HST from GQS to Falkirk if im lucky? :o

No. The HSTs will be running:
Glasgow-Stirling-Perth-Inverness
Glasgow-Stirling-Perth-Dundee-Aberdeen
Edinburgh-Perth-Inverness
Edinburgh-Dundee-Aberdeen
Inverness-Aberdeen
(with intermediate stops)

RichW1

Why is it the trains from London to Glasgow via Edinburgh on the ECML take the longest possible route to Glasgow via the crazy circuitous route via Carstairs?

MCR247

Established Member
Why is it the trains from London to Glasgow via Edinburgh on the ECML take the longest possible route to Glasgow via the crazy circuitous route via Carstairs?

Which route do you think they should use?

gsnedders

Established Member

They need to go to Glasgow Central (because of the platform length required), and there's only one electrified line from Waverley to Glasgow Central, and that is via Carstairs. I believe even after electrification of the Shotts line, the line speed makes up for the extra distance it has to travel (and it avoids scheduling it around stopping trains for much of its route).

Status
Not open for further replies.