• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh to Inverness: Forth Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inversnecky

In the mid 1980s I went to university in Edinburgh and regularly took the train back and forth from my home near Inverness.

Initially, trains always went across the Forth Bridge, then latterly they followed a new route through West Lothian, bypassing the bridge.

Does anyone know why this route change happened? Seems a longer and more roundabout way.

Attachments

• 0F0D260D-E8FB-46B1-8EFE-9CFE425BD3E4.jpeg
    0F0D260D-E8FB-46B1-8EFE-9CFE425BD3E4.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 49
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
In the mid 1980s I went to university in Edinburgh and regularly took the train back and forth from my home near Inverness.

Initially, trains always went across the Forth Bridge, then latterly they followed a new route through West Lothian, bypassing the bridge.

Does anyone know why this route change happened? Seems a longer and more roundabout way.
Originally it was because the Glenfarg line was closed the original Perth route, so all Edinburgh-Perth trains then went via Stirling, Inverness trains already appear to have done this. They then re-opened the Ladybank-Perth line in the mid-70s and so Edinburgh-Inverness trains went this way, being shorter and quicker than going via Stirling of course.

Then in I believe 1984 possibly earlier, they switched back to running Edinburgh-Inverness trains via Stirling though in the 1984 timetable one is still down as 'via Kirkcaldy' - the Ladybank route essentially.

By 1986 all are routed via Stirling and this continued through the 1980s. I think the switch back to the Ladybank line came with Sprinterisation and greater frequencies.

It should be noted that even when Edinburgh-Inverness trains were routed via Stirling in the 1980s, there were still local Edinburgh-Perth trains which ran via Ladybank.

Last edited:

dubscottie

It was with the start of the summer 1990 timetable that trains on the Ladybank-Hilton Jnt section went from 2 per day to 11 per day each way.

The main reason was that ScotRail was struggling on the Edinburgh-Inverness traffic with the upgrading of the A9 and by routing trains via Fife, they could shave 12 mins off the time with 47+Mk2 stock and even more with sprinters.

It also freed up paths for more Glasgow-Aberdeen trains, Glasgow-Inverness passengers changing at Perth. Edinburgh-Stirling passengers were covered by an increase in frequency in Dunblane trains.

Inversnecky

Originally it was because the Glenfarg line was closed the original Perth route, so all Edinburgh-Perth trains then went via Stirling, Inverness trains already appear to have done this. They then re-opened the Ladybank-Perth line in the mid-70s and so Edinburgh-Inverness trains went this way, being shorter and quicker than going via Stirling of course.

Then in I believe 1984 possibly earlier, they switched back to running Edinburgh-Inverness trains via Stirling though in the 1984 timetable one is still down as 'via Kirkcaldy' - the Ladybank route essentially.

By 1986 all are routed via Stirling and this continued through the 1980s. I think the switch back to the Ladybank line came with Sprinterisation and greater frequencies.

It should be noted that even when Edinburgh-Inverness trains were touted via Stirling in the 1980s, there were still local Edinburgh-Perth trains which ran via Ladybank.
Thanks for the in depth reply. I’m sure I was crossing the rail bridge until 1985 or 86...

bassmike

On Moderation
Are there any photos extant of L U tube stock crossing the Forth Bridge on their way for overhaul in a Scottish dockyard (cant remember the name)?

Class 170101

Established Member
Don't forget you still have the Highland Chieftain that runs via Stirling between Edinburgh and Perth.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Don't forget you still have the Highland Chieftain that runs via Stirling between Edinburgh and Perth.
It's always gone that route on weekdays though.

I've wondered if that was -

1. Because the existing service that it was an extension of ran to Perth via Stirling anyway
2. To continue to offer Stirling & Perth a service to/from King's Cross
3. Because it was introduced at the time when ScotRail were just starting to reroute Edinburgh-Inverness trains via Stirling

Or a combination of the three.

Noteable though that in its first year on Sundays the King's Cross-Inverness HST ran via Inverkeithing and Ladybank to Perth and for many years after that the southbound service continued to via Elgin, Aberdeen and Dundee to reach Edinburgh in winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.