• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh to Kings Cross standard to first upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tallguy

I will be travelling from Waverley to Princes Risborough via KX on a weekday shortly. Ticket is pre booked in standard class, seat reserved and is restricted to a nominated Train, can’t be changed or cancelled.

Is it possible to upgrade this ticket to First Class assuming there is space either before the journey or once on board? If so, how? Also, is free wifi available on this train service?

this will be my longest ever UK train trip!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is this a route "LNER & Connectns" Standard Advance ticket? If so, can it be upgraded to first class ahead of travel on a weekday, subject to availability? (Or indeed, once onboard the booked LNER service?)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You can certainly upgrade. The question is just how much it will cost.

LNER's website indicates the upgrade is a flat £35 if travelling on a weekend or BH, or £45 if travelling on a weekday at times when an equivalent Super Off-Peak ticket would be valid (i.e. arriving into London after 11:17).

If travelling at a time when you require an Anytime or Off-Peak ticket, you should speak to the Train Manager before sitting down in First - the upgrade is likely to cost quite a lot more than £45.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
You should be able to upgrade the existing ticket by paying the difference between the price already paid and the cheapest First Class Advance that has availability, with NO change of journey fee being charged as long as you don't change the time.

This should be possible at any Ticket Office, but needs to be done ASAP to get the best price.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This is likely to be an expensive upgrade, I think Seatfrog is probably the best way to go although there is no guarantee of winning the auction.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
This is likely to be an expensive upgrade, I think Seatfrog is probably the best way to go although there is no guarantee of winning the auction.
I definitely agree, Seatfrog always comes through for me with LNER unless they substitute a 5 car for a 9 car service, in which case the Seatfrog auction gets cancelled - but you can use your ticket on the next trains if there’s space if that happens, and bid for that one

HBP

Had a quick look at Seatfrog for next week and some services are showing bids from £10 for next week EDB-KGX or buy now for £48 which is still a good buy and no auction faff.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Had a quick look at Seatfrog for next week and some services are showing bids from £10 for next week EDB-KGX or buy now for £48 which is still a good buy and no auction faff.
I'd forgotten about the buy now option on Seatfrog. Might be worth seeing how much a 1st Class Advance is currently on your train but I fear the difference will be more than £48.

_toommm_

Established Member
I believe you can make the opening bid before the auction opens if I’m remembering correctly.

I did that and there weren’t any opposing bids, so I got an upgrade from Aberdeen to Leeds for a measly £8 (plentiful alcohol included).

Tallguy

Wasn’t aware of Seatfrog so looked at it but it appears only to be valid for tickets booked direct on the LNER website according to the blurb. I booked via The Trainline as it was cheaper than LNER direct And Seatfrog doesn’t recognise the booking ref number. Just collected the tickets and my ticket has the “Maltese Cross” on it. Not sure what that means. My ticket is an ‘Adavnce Single’.

E759

Ticket can be purchased from any retailer. If Seatfrog doesn’t recognize your booking ref you just have to confirm you have a valid ticket.

HBP

The Trainline as it was cheaper than LNER direct And Seatfrog doesn’t recognise the booking ref number.

Use the ‘train search’ function instead for the train you are booked on. If upgrades are available it will show them.

Tallguy

Ticket can be purchased from any retailer. If Seatfrog doesn’t recognize your booking ref you just have to confirm you have a valid ticket.
That isn’t what the Seatfrog website says - ”available exclusively to customers who book direct through the LNER website”

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Just collected the tickets and my ticket has the “Maltese Cross” on it. Not sure what that means.
Means your ticket is good for cross London transfer by London Underground at no extra charge in order to complete your journey, for example from Kings Cross to Marylebone (or Baker Street and then a walk to Marylebone if that's more convenient) and then you'd continue onward by Chiltern Trains to Princes Risborough.

Furrball

A bid of around £32 on Seatfrog when the auction opens I reckon would get you an automatic upgrade at a bit less than that if past experiences still work!

Tallguy

A bid of around £32 on Seatfrog when the auction opens I reckon would get you an automatic upgrade at a bit less than that if past experiences still work!
Just install the App and enter your train details. It works.

So, my journey was actually yesterday - 12th. Started off with an on demand ticket from Kirkcaldy to Waverley for £8.90. Then I won the SeatFrog bid to upgrade my Advance Single from Waverley to KX to first class for just £12! Ticket was checked just before Berwick and no problems with the SeatFrog upgrade. Was very impressed with the new Azuma train but felt the ride was a bit harsh. Very comfy seats mind. Food wasn’t as good as pre-Covid but felt I got more than my monies worth of Bacon rolls, biscuits, crisps, brownies and 5 tins of Hop On Ale….. Apart from a foot slog along the Marylebone Road as the tube was knackered to get my Chiltern home it was a great trip.

I totally recommend SeatFrog. I will be using it again in the future.

Total spent £8.90 + £79.00 + £12.00 = £99.90

The Advance Single was’t the cheapest ever for that route but as I only booked it the day before and was time restricted as to what train I could take, I wasn’t too upset about the cost. An EasyJet to Luton was £100 for a similarly timed flight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.