• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh to London journey by E-190

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Sitting in The Lounge at Edinburgh Airport sipping Cappuccino with a Cognac chaser, life does not get much more civilised than this. Nice and quiet in here after all the hustle and bustle at LHR Lounges.

Taking an E-190 down to LCY this morning.

Is the Embraer a serious competitor to LNER and AVANTI between Edinburgh and London or just a niche method of transport for those in the know ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Is the Embraer a serious competitor to LNER and AVANTI between Edinburgh and London or just a niche method of transport for those in the know ?

Depends where you are starting, where you are going, and what time. If you live in striking distance of EDI / GLA, and your destination is Canary Wharf or the City, and you need to be there for 0900 / 0930, plane wins (although I’m not sure most people care, or even know about the aircraft type).

It’s noticeable that during August BA are reducing flights from EDI-LCY to one rotation a day.

Butts

Veteran Member
Depends where you are starting, where you are going, and what time. If you live in striking distance of EDI / GLA, and your destination is Canary Wharf or the City, and you need to be there for 0900 / 0930, plane wins (although I’m not sure most people care, or even know about the aircraft type).

It’s noticeable that during August BA are reducing flights from EDI-LCY to one rotation a day.

Could be because of the "summer specials" to GIB and JER from LCY ?

route101

Established Member
Often forget about the LCY route from GLA. I find BA way too dear to and from London.

Butts

Veteran Member
Hot Breakfast onboard today - first time for ages, came as a nice surprise.

Plus got a couple of "Cognacs to go " !!

Butts

Veteran Member
Prices vary a lot. Sometimes it beats the train, sometimes it doesn't.

Well on the Lounge aspect of the Trip the BA ones kick Avanti or LNER into touch !!

I'm sitting here in an almost empty 1st Class Lounge at LHR ( Beggars Version shut early) sipping Cognac and munching Tyrells Crisps (40g Bag !!)

I've already enjoyed a posh Pie and Mash.

The ambience is wonderful - at least it was till I walked in :E

More to come onboard no doubt.

Journeyman

Established Member
Well on the Lounge aspect of the Trip the BA ones kick Avanti or LNER into touch !!

I'm sitting here in an almost empty 1st Class Lounge at LHR ( Beggars Version shut early) sipping Cognac and munching Tyrells Crisps (40g Bag !!)

I've already enjoyed a posh Pie and Mash.

The ambience is wonderful - at least it was till I walked in :E

More to come onboard no doubt.
Yeah, free booze, we get it...

I don't actually care about that at all. Nor do a lot of other people.

ivorytoast28

Everyone likes different things is ultimately the point. I can't think of anything worse than sitting around for hours at an overpriced shopping centre (airport) before being squashed into a tiny airplane seat and having all the noise and fuss of tray tables up and down for take offs etc. Would far rather just take the leisurely train watching the countryside out the window - you can still sip on your drink, and there's no restrictions on when you can go to the toilet etc and you can just sit there for 4.5 hours relaxing. Some people love flying, others love train rides. Some people care about free food or drink, others are happy to buy a mealdeal - and then there are others that only care about price so cram onto a coach for hours (could never do that personally, but each to their own)

Journeyman

Established Member
Everyone likes different things is ultimately the point. I can't think of anything worse than sitting around for hours at an overpriced shopping centre (airport) before being squashed into a tiny airplane seat and having all the noise and fuss of tray tables up and down for take offs etc. Would far rather just take the leisurely train watching the countryside out the window - you can still sip on your drink, and there's no restrictions on when you can go to the toilet etc and you can just sit there for 4.5 hours relaxing. Some people love flying, others love train rides. Some people care about free food or drink, others are happy to buy a mealdeal - and then there are others that only care about price so cram onto a coach for hours (could never do that personally, but each to their own)
Oh, I completely agree with you. It's just a certain person constantly bangs on about the free booze, and it's now just incredibly tedious.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Oh, I completely agree with you. It's just a certain person constantly bangs on about the free booze, and it's now just incredibly tedious.

I'll not express my opinion on the alcohol thing (except to say that a chaser with a coffee sounds insane), although I found myself agreeing with you yesterday and I still do now.

Butts

Veteran Member

How many times have you been on an Embraer 190 ? - That description is incorrect.

Butts

Veteran Member
I'll not express my opinion on the alcohol thing (except to say that a chaser with a coffee sounds insane), although I found myself agreeing with you yesterday and I still do now.

Cappuccino actually - what's wrong with a Brandy and Coffee or Cappuccino ?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Cappuccino actually - what's wrong with a Brandy and Coffee or Cappuccino ?

Apologies, I was going to type cappuccino and for some reason I went for coffee.

IF the brandy was stirred into a plain coffee, to both enjoy the coffee but also to numb a sensitive tooth, I might allow it. I did such a thing many years ago, and it did seem to help.

In terms of just having a brandy and a cappuccino/other coffee for enjoyment, I don't see the appeal. I'd liken it to having an energy drink and followed immediately after by a peppermint tea. I'll be damned if I can remember the guy on Mock The Week I'm paraphrasing here, he was on it some years back, bald guy but wow he was funny!

Wolfie

Established Member
To be fair l always took it as tongue in cheek playing up to a certain image... It's de facto a running joke and harmless enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.