• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh to Peterborough via York

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
Hi guys, I intend to travel on the 16th July from Edinburgh to Peterborough changing at York but am interested in both advance tickets and also using split ticketing to reduce the costs.

I can use my priv but I would like to see all ticketing offers first.

I'm intending on using the following trains:

Edinburgh: 1330
York: 1553

York: 1601
Peterborough: 1727

Is it better to split the tickets for the first train to Edinburgh to Newcastle then Newcastle to York or Edinburgh to York and is it better to split the tickets for the second train to York to Newark Northgate/Grantham then Newark Northgate/Grantham to Peterborough or York to Peterborough?

What do the ticketing gurus here suggest?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Without Priv :

STD advance £10.70 Edinburgh - Newcastle (1330-1456)
STD advance £10.70 Newcastle - York (1458-1553)
STD advance £13.00 York - Peterborough (1601 - 1727)

Total cost : £34.40, book online at East Coast for the above fares.

Mix of PRIV & Advances

£10.70 STD class Advance Edinburgh - Newcastle (1330-1456)
£8.40 PRIV Anytime day single Newcastle - York (1458-1553)
STD class advance £13.00 York - Peterborough (1601-1727)

Total cost : £32.10, again book the advances tickets online at East Coast.

cuccir

Established Member
I don't know too much about Priv tickets, but I'm sure someone can update if there are cheaper alternatives using your Priv.

All Advance fares below include the 10% discount when bought through Eas Coast's website. All are liable to change by the minute too!

When travelling on advances from Edinburgh, the best bet is often to look at Berwick for splits (providing the train stops there). Indeed, for the 13:30 an Edinburgh - York advance ticket is currently £37.65. However, Edinburgh-Berwick is £5.10, and Berwick-York is £10.00. Note you can pick your seat at East Coast, so you should be able to book the same seat for the journey.

Alternatively, if you can travel earlier, the 12:30 departure currently has tickets at £19.90 from Edinburgh to York.

The 16:01 York-Peterborough is £13. That's the best you'll do for that trip!

--
Seems like Sonic and I posted at virtually the same time. Just to make the comparison clear, the Berwick split is currently £15.10 to York, plus the £13 to Peterborough makes £28.10 in total but it will require you to book ASAP!

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
That's wonderful guys, any idea on 1st Class advances though as well please?

I can't use 1st Class priv tickets but can use 1st Class advances, I like the Berwick split though :)

Question is it easy to upgrade to 1st Class with Standard Class Advance tickets?

Last edited by a moderator:

sonic2009

Established Member
Infact taking onboard Cuccir's idea of splitting at Berwick. You can get the fare to Peterborough down to £28.80.

STD class advance £5.10 Edinburgh - Berwick (1330-1411)
STD class advance £23.70 Berwick - Peterborough (1411 with a change at York - 1727)

Again book online at East Coast. Book ASAP to avoid the prices going up.

Personally I think £28.80 is going to be the cheapest you will get for standard class
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Infact the price for STD can be improved by £1.00 with advance tickets and priv.

STD class advance £13.35 Berwick - Retford (1411-1639) change at York
PRIV anytime day single £8.65 Retford - Peterborough (1639-1727)

total cost : £27.10
This is best i can get it down to for STD :

STD class advance £14.40 Berwick - Newark North Gate (1411-1654) change at York
PRIV anytime day single £6.25 Newark North Gate - Peterborough (1654-1727)

total cost : £25.75

Cheapest 1st class advances :

£12.55 1st class advance Edinburgh - Berwick (1330-1411)
£48.20 1st class advance Berwick - Peterborough (1411 with a change at York - 1727)

Total cost : £60.75, again book at East Coast

Last edited:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Question is it easy to upgrade to 1st Class with Standard Class Advance tickets?
At weekends on EC, yes (though the benefits are less - less catering on offer and more pasengers in First), but if I'm correct that you're intending to travel on a Weekday, then no, the EC 'upgrade' option is not available on weekdays and anyone asking will be politely invited to contribute handsomely to the Company's coffers.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can use my priv but I would like to see all ticketing offers first.
Is that all options by any route, or all options by this particular route?

In which case is that by splitting at any station, using any number of splits?

And is that for public Advance fares, or for walk-on fares using PRIV or even for mixing & matching between the two for the same journey?

For Advance fares on one TOC, it is generally cheaper not to split, but it becomes cheaper if the quota is sold out for part of the journey.

If so, that's quite a lot of fares to calculate, and beyond the capabilities of the MSE Ticketysplit app or Trainscanbecheaper.info.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
Edinburgh: 1330
York: 1553

York: 1601
Peterborough: 1727

That could be a tight connection, as southbound express ECML services which call at York at xx.53 - xx.55 are often very slightly late at York due to the apparent tight schedule as far as there. They do tend to get back on schedule by London King's Cross as a relatively slow path seems to be scheduled for these services which can be improved in reality, it seems. There is also a significant working timetable / passenger timetable differential at King's Cross.

Luckily for you however, a cross-platform interchange is timetabled in this case (from platform 5 to platform 6). As long as there are no other disruptions or last minute platform alterations, this should therefore be fine.

calc7

Established Member
That could be a tight connection, as southbound express ECML services which call at York at xx.53 - xx.55 are often very slightly late at York due to the apparent tight schedule as far as there. They do tend to get back on schedule by London King's Cross as a relatively slow path seems to be scheduled for these services which can be improved in reality, it seems. There is also a significant working timetable / passenger timetable differential at King's Cross.

Luckily for you however, a cross-platform interchange is timetabled in this case (from platform 5 to platform 6). As long as there are no other disruptions or last minute platform alterations, this should therefore be fine.

Tight, yes, but it is intentionally scheduled this way.
I would not be surprised if the xx01 stopper were held for up to 10 minutes for the express train as it is (a) slower and (b) timed after the express to provide connections to smaller stations that the express zooms past.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
Tight, yes, but it is intentionally scheduled this way.
I would not be surprised if the xx01 stopper were held for up to 10 minutes for the express train as it is (a) slower and (b) timed after the express to provide connections to smaller stations that the express zooms past.

In my limited experience this is not unusual - I would imagine that this happens to allow the express to go ahead rather than to give people time to make the connection.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In my limited experience this is not unusual - I would imagine that this happens to allow the express to go ahead rather than to give people time to make the connection.
It waits to let people make the connection (not sure how long it can wait) as a lot of people make this change, which is a booked, advertised connection.

There would be no need to hold a train purely to let a train overtake, as the overtaking could be done at Doncaster instead (or Newark, or Peterborough).

calc7

Established Member
Indeed, particularly when the xx01 only operates every two hours (until they get round to extending the Newark stopper) thence connections to places like Retford and Grantham can take a long time from York if it is missed.

Established Member
Services in the southbound bays at York are often held to allow a through-train to go first, if it is delayed by a few minutes. However, I wouldn't take this as gospel, as if the through-train gets even more delayed at the north end of the station, I've seen York signallers allow the bay trains to depart first.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Don't know if this will help you for this trip (however may for future ones) but check out the prices of the North East 4/8 Flexi Rover as these can be used with your 75% TOC discount card. The rover is valid from Berwick on Tweed in the north to (& please check this!!) Retford? in the south. You can use combination tickets and as you hold a rover the train does not need to stop at the station where you change from one to the other(s) - but must pass through.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Don't know if this will help you for this trip (however may for future ones) but check out the prices of the North East 4/8 Flexi Rover as these can be used with your 75% TOC discount card. The rover is valid from Berwick on Tweed in the north to (& please check this!!) Retford? in the south. You can use combination tickets and as you hold a rover the train does not need to stop at the station where you change from one to the other(s) - but must pass through.
Yes, the above post is correct, it is indeed Berwick to Retford with no need to call.

Rovers can be very good value for PRIV holders (particularly if you are doing a return journey within 8 days) as they generally offer the 75% discount, yet are priced as leisure products at typically much lower prices than the Anytime fares across the rover area.

Status
Not open for further replies.