• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh & Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntoniC

I am staying in Edinburgh for a couple of days in October.

Can anyone please recommend anything interesting to do with the railways I can occupy myself with and also whats the cheapest ticket to buy ?.
(I may only spend 1 day to doing railway things, does Edinburgh have a day pass like Merseytravel has a Solo card).

Thanks in advance for hints & tips !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Are you wanting to take photos, take interesting routes, see unusual stock, see preserved trains, go to somewhere interesting on a train?

The Forth Bridge is well worth doing, both to ride across and good potential for photos from the south side.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
The rail tourism highlight has to be a ride on iether 17:07 or 17:20 loco hauled trains to Fife, the former going all the way round returning at 19:30 or so.

Borders line if you want new track, a trip from Glasgow or Motherwell on the late evening XC service if you wish to gryce the Edinburgh sub, Forth Bridge and North Berwick if you want views.

AntoniC

Thanks for all the suggestions. they are much appreciated !.

I still havent decided what to do but the loco hauled Fife trains sound interesting !

Kite159

Veteran Member
There is an Edinburgh Days Out ticket available valid for 2 days, however it is only valid for off-peak (so won't cover you on the Fife Circle 68).

Only other ticket is the Central Scotland Rover which gives you a wider area to room in

Status
Not open for further replies.