Edinburgh Tram developments

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by PaulLothian, 2 Aug 2012.

1. Chrism20

Chrism20 Established Member

I used to feel the same about the trams, however having moved to Murrayfield recently I must admit I was extremely surprised at just how well used the trams actually are and at all times of the day.

They struggle with matching the 100 for Airport to City Centre for time but for many local journeys out to the Gyle or into town they are better than the bus.

2. overthewater

overthewater Established Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-47170979

Its that contingency fund that pushed it up? Also way is the money from the ST Johns Centre who said there woudl give an interest free loan to extending it down Leith walk>

3. mrmartin

mrmartin Member

While seems somewhat expensive if it is to be primarily (>90%) funded by future fares it is a no brainer surely? I assume there is no Scottish govt funding going in here?

I can't think of many rail projects that are able to be funded like this.

4. och aye

och aye Member

Council set to back Edinburgh tram extension

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-47402066

5. GrimShady

GrimShady Member

Good news!

I'm all for the extension and more!

Pity Glasgow can't get it's act together and start rebuilding its tram network.

6. VioletEclipse

VioletEclipse Member

I fully agree with you there :)

7. Balfarg1982

Balfarg1982 Member

I think this is because the 100 is more a direct route into town via corstophine Haymarket and city center but the tram goes out towards gyle saughton balgreen murryfield into Haymarket into city center. But it's only around 5-6 mins slower than the 100 with more stops and miles to do.

8. kilonewton

kilonewton Member

deleted

9. LeeLivery

LeeLivery Member

Extension approved according to The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...proves-207m-extension-to-tram-line?CMP=twt_gu

10. VioletEclipse

VioletEclipse Member

11. och aye

och aye Member

Lets hope they don't mess things up this time round!

A lot of work has already been done in Leith Walk. If construction goes according to plan without any major issues, it could well open before 2023. I wonder if the 2023 opening year, is just to give the council a bit of breathing space if they do come across any major problems and don't end up with egg on their face and the angry of the public like what happened during the initial works.

12. kilonewton

kilonewton Member

There’s a cemetery on Constitution Street. The wall is not the original boundary of the cemetery. Archeological works in that section alone could be very extensive, and I assume would have to fit in with traffic management plans for adjacent sections.

13. VioletEclipse

VioletEclipse Member

I say it could easily take five years to complete, unless they have actually learned from their mistakes last time ;)

14. Butts

Butts Established Member

Does anyone know why the TVM's accept contactless but only for for transactions over £3

This prevents you buying a £1.70 single other than with change as they don't accept notes.

To dodge the "Airport Surcharge" the other night I walked up to the next stop at the park and ride only to realise I was "potless"

Luckily there as another "dodger" in situ and he gave me his fare and I was able to use my card to pay for both taking me over the £3 limit.

15. GaryMcEwan

GaryMcEwan Established Member

It's apparently to keep the charges charged by the bank to a minimum...

16. Butts

Butts Established Member

A likely tale .. no one bat's an eyelid if you pay for an "I" costing a third of that using contactless.

Surely - The Airport Surcharge could ameliorate any bank charges - quite easily !!!

17. takno

takno Established Member

They often take a loss when they sell you that i, but they're hoping to make it back when you buy something else. The ticket machines aren't selling anything else

18. Bungle965

Bungle965 Established Member

The ticket machines in their current format are a pain in the backside.
    Sam

19. gghdev

gghdev Member

It’s not a great excuse for a transport provider; presumably better deals are available. Buses all over the country take contactless. Buses and trams in London only take contactless and Oyster now, with cash no-longer being accepted. They’ve actually taken the tram ticket machines out of action entirely.

I’m impatiently waiting for Lothian and Edinburgh Trams to catch-up because it’s a complete pain in the ass getting around Edinburgh if I’m only there for a day or two, compared to the cashless world I live in down here. Even m-tickets have a totally unreasonable minimum spend.

20. och aye

och aye Member

Off topic, sorry, but I believe the airport bus services and a couple of routes now have contactless payments. Lothian Buseshave a plan to eventually roll it out across the network, when that is of course is another question.

21. Balfarg1982

Balfarg1982 Member

There's contactless payments accross the tvms now

22. gghdev

gghdev Member

Yes, but I believe the minimum amount for card payments is still above the cost of a single ticket (in the city). If there is no pay as you go and I must actually buy a ticket, they could at least let me buy a single with a card. I’m still waiting, highly impatiently, for Edinburgh to catch-up.

Last edited: 12 May 2019
  23. Butts

Butts Established Member

Yes it's £3, with a single being £1.70 to anywhere but the Airport.