• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh Tram developments

Kingspanner

The South Suburban looks like a no-brainer for passenger services except the Council beleves that the bus services are good enough and doesn't want abstraction of revenue.
This principle might also play against the tram network expanding.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

takno

Established Member
The South Suburban looks like a no-brainer for passenger services except the Council beleves that the bus services are good enough and doesn't want abstraction of revenue.
This principle might also play against the tram network expanding.
Apart from having some rails (albeit the wrong type) spaced approximately the correct distance apart, what is it that makes the South-sub a no-brainer for trams? From a transit point of view it goes slowly from nowhere very much in the west to nowhere very much in the east via a series of stations situated on main roads straight into the centre of town. Since there is very much an ongoing need to run trains along it and a decent case for electrifying it at 25kv, there would also be nothing cheap about running trams around there.

Elwyn

The reason passenger services were withdrawn from the South sub in the 1950s was that few passengers used it because it didn’t go anywhere useful very quickly (it circled the city rather than going into the centre). It was quicker to get into the city centre by bus. I don’t think anything has changed today.

takno

Established Member
Not trams. Passenger services. There was a minor campaign a while ago which IIRC was opposed by the City
Oh okay, I just assumed trams because it's in the trams thread. Passenger services are a waste of time and space at Waverley, but you could probably do them for cheaper

takno

Established Member
The south suburban could potentially remove a lot of cars from the streets, as there is no quick bus service for the most part of the route.
There's hardly anybody doing the journey either, but certainly you could test numbers with a fast bus service before you start spending millions installing platforms and lifts

ejstubbs

There's hardly anybody doing the journey either, but certainly you could test numbers with a fast bus service before you start spending millions installing platforms and lifts

The nearest current equivalent is probably the 38. Not sure how you could make that faster other than by running limited stops (which would be closer to what a tram service would offer anyway).

Or did you mean more frequent? The 38 runs every 20 minutes during the day - maybe every ten minutes? After all, the trams are almost notorious for taking longer to get to the airport from the city centre than the Airlink bus does.

A combination of both higher frequency more and longer distances between stops would probably be the closest to you could get to emulating something running on the south sub. If it turned out to be used well enough to be worth running, but not to the extent that it was frequently full to standing, then it might be easier to leave it as a bus...

takno

Established Member
The nearest current equivalent is probably the 38. Not sure how you could make that faster other than by running limited stops (which would be closer to what a tram service would offer anyway).

Or did you mean more frequent? The 38 runs every 20 minutes during the day - maybe every ten minutes? After all, the trams are almost notorious for taking longer to get to the airport from the city centre than the Airlink bus does.

A combination of both higher frequency more and longer distances between stops would probably be the closest to you could get to emulating something running on the south sub. If it turned out to be used well enough to be worth running, but not to the extent that it was frequently full to standing, then it might be easier to leave it as a bus...
My guess is that it wouldn't even achieve that. I guess the real spanner in the works though would be if you ended up serving Kings Buildings with the bus and that turned out to be where all the traffic wanted to go...

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I've tried to look online but might be easier to ask here:

Next Monday I need a single from Haymarket to Edinburgh Gateway around 8pm (for the Ibis Budget there)
Next Tuesday I need a single from Edinburgh Gateway to the Airport around 6am

Anybody clued up as to how much these would cost? I will have loads of 10p and 20p coins on me as I'm fully aware that EDI Transport requires exact change :D

SteveP29

Next Monday I need a single from Haymarket to Edinburgh Gateway around 8pm (for the Ibis Budget there)

Anybody clued up as to how much these would cost? I will have loads of 10p and 20p coins on me as I'm fully aware that EDI Transport requires exact change :D

£1.70 for both journeys James, both are within the 'city zone' so are the same price as a single bus fare.
https://edinburghtrams.com/tickets/ticket-options

Last edited:

scotrail158713

Established Member

In case you weren’t already aware the buses do now have contactless. (Finally...) Although it’s a capping system like London that’s used so one card per person travelling is needed.
And you can buy your tram ticket by card as well.

Butts

Veteran Member
Blimmin hell I might walk it if it's not raining

Unless there is another Ibis Budget Hotel in close proximity the nearest one to the Airport is actually on Edinburgh Park and you need to alight at the Gyle Centre which is right beside it - you can see it from the stop. That is in the £1.70 zone !!!

If you want to dodge the "£6 special" in the morning alight at the last stop before the Airport the Park and Ride and walk. If you only have hand luggage it's 10-15 mins and a doddle providing it's not peeing down.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Unless there is another Ibis Budget Hotel in close proximity the nearest one to the Airport is actually on Edinburgh Park and you need to alight at the Gyle Centre which is right beside it - you can see it from the stop. That is in the £1.70 zone !!!

If you want to dodge the "£6 special" in the morning alight at the last stop before the Airport the Park and Ride and walk. If you only have hand luggage it's 10-15 mins and a doddle providing it's not peeing down.

That's the sort of advice which makes me post on here :lol: I'll have my rucksack as travelling only overnight.

oldman

The Lothian Skylink buses 300 and 400 have a special £2.50 single fare between the Gyle Centre and the airport terminal. They aren't as frequent or regular as the tram so check the timetables, but they start early enough for your needs. At that time of day they should be on time (or even slightly early). The bus stop is outside the entrance to the shopping centre, a little way from the tram stop.

och aye

If you're only taking hand baggage with you, you can take the tram from Edinburgh Gateway to the Ingliston Park & Ride (last stop before the airport) for £1.70 then walk to the airport in 10-15 minutes.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
If you're only taking hand baggage with you, you can take the tram from Edinburgh Gateway to the Ingliston Park & Ride (last stop before the airport) for £1.70 then walk to the airport in 10-15 minutes.

Thanks, that seems like the most attractive option. Don't mind paying £2 odd but £6 is silly; I can get a little bite to eat with the saved money! Just pray for little or no rain though!

scotrail158713

Established Member
The Lothian Skylink buses 300 and 400 have a special £2.50 single fare between the Gyle Centre and the airport terminal. They aren't as frequent or regular as the tram so check the timetables, but they start early enough for your needs. At that time of day they should be on time (or even slightly early). The bus stop is outside the entrance to the shopping centre, a little way from the tram stop.
I didn’t know about that - that’s definitely the best option.

Jamesrob637

Established Member

That would be the best option if it's raining! Tram and walk if it's nice

och aye

Tram and walk it was and all worked out!
Ingliston P&R I assume and not from Gateway? :E Glad to hear it worked out for you.

It's pretty crazy how much more expensive it is to travel from Ingliston for an extra minute (if that!) when you can literally see the Airport stop from Ingliston.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Ingliston P&R I assume and not from Gateway? :E Glad to hear it worked out for you.

It's pretty crazy how much more expensive it is to travel from Ingliston for an extra minute (if that!) when you can literally see the Airport stop from Ingliston.

Yes the Park and Ride. The road was busy even at 6-6:30am: EDI must be a busy airport! The £4-odd saved went on breakfast; rather fill my stomach than Edinburgh Transport's pockets :lol:

och aye

Yes the Park and Ride. The road was busy even at 6-6:30am: EDI must be a busy airport! The £4-odd saved went on breakfast; rather fill my stomach than Edinburgh Transport's pockets :lol:
The airport can be really busy at that time for check in, for all the morning flights. Glad to hear the Ingliston P&R trick worked out well for your wallet and your stomach. :E

takno

Established Member
I think the extra 4 quid mostly goes to the nice venture capitalists who are working so hard to cram ever more shops into their airport doesn't it? All the more reason to do the P&R trick of course.

kidman123

So the 6 pound is the airport zone. Edinburgh trams and all bus company get charged to go into the airport that is why it's dear as it's going into a premium zone. Lothian airlink is only 50p cheaper at 5.50 single so for those who say get the 100 it's no that cheaper. It's true it's 2.50 from gyle to airport but that's the skylink 200-400 buses then it's 5.50 after gyle.