• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh trams horns not loud enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dr140

Noticed the other day that the trams have a loud(ish) car style horn. Is this new or have I just never heard it before? Presuming it's new.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The horns on all trams are not loud enough, full stop.
Can't scare the Cyclists And Walkers too much.
The idea is to have a relatively mild sound as a gentle reminder of approach particularly in busy urban areas. This tends to be used multiple times when passing through somewhere like Piccadilly Gardens and a full-blast horn would be annoying to everyone in the vicinity. There is (or should be) also a much louder warning available for the open line, but you'll rarely hear this on the street.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The idea is to have a relatively mild sound as a gentle reminder of approach particularly in busy urban areas. This tends to be used multiple times when passing through somewhere like Piccadilly Gardens and a full-blast horn would be annoying to everyone in the vicinity. There is (or should be) also a much louder warning available for the open line, but you'll rarely hear this on the street.

It'd be good if cars, particularly electric cars, had the same feature. I reckon a less aggressive "hello, I'm here" type horn sound in addition to a louder "watch out, I'm going to crash into you" one would significantly reduce road rage.

So I think this is a positive feature.

mark-h

The Dublin trams have two noises, a wind chime sound for reminding people that they are there and a more aggressive gong for use when needed.

Edinburgh Trams only seem to have a gong which is too loud for a lot of uses (such as approaching a platform that the driver can see there is nobody around) but not that loud if people need to move out the trams way.

duffield

Established Member
Nottingham trams have a bell noise and a horn noise, the horn is used rarely and so is more noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.