Edinburgh Transport

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by hungry, 2 May 2017.

1. jbc

jbc Member

It works very well indeed, buses in London don't take cash at all.

Lothian are probably the best bus operator in the UK.

2. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Exact fare if paying cash, but contactless accepted, is probably the best compromise, really. Discourages cash use and reduces delay from it while offering a solution to most people to avoid cash.

3. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Established Member

Contactless capped at the Day Ticket rate, please :)

4. Bletchleyite

Ideally, yes. Also at the weekly and monthly rates.

5. endecotp

endecotp Member

It seems to me that this difference makes driver changes much quicker. Here in Edinburgh, when drivers change over, one gets off, the other gets on, and the bus continues. Other places that I've lived - principally Manchester - driver changeovers seemed to take ages; I think the driver getting off had to get the ticket machine to print some sort of cash receipt, and he'd then remove his cash tray and get off the bus. The new driver would get on with his cash tray containing float and "log on" to the ticket machine. Meanwhile, three or four other buses would overtake.

6. Starmill

Starmill Established Member

Driver changeovers here do take forever - often more than 5 minutes. I have never realised it could have anything to do with accounting, it always seems to be that they just spend that time chatting.

7. Starmill

Starmill Established Member

And yet almost all of the buses I use will not accept cards but do give change. Which is why they are as slow as they could possibly be.

8. GaryMcEwan

GaryMcEwan Member

First Glasgow also have exact fare, but where the difference between Lothian and First comes in is that people with National Entitlement Cards.

On Lothian they can just tap the ticket machine and don't a ticket whereas First Glasgow, you need to tell the driver where you're going and then get a ticket. That in itself takes up time as well.

9. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I tried to buy a Family day ticket which is £8.50 using a £5 note and coins back in October and the driver said you had to pay with coins. I did remember hearing about this somewhere (might have been on this or a similar forum) so I had some coins on standby just in case, however I can't see this mentioned on their website, although it does say that you "place your change coins" in the box.

I used to travel regularly on West Midlands buses in Birmingham and they never used to have an issue with paying with notes, despite also having cash vaults.

10. Zoidberg

I am surprised to learn of your experience.

I visit Edinburgh several times a year, have done for the past 30+ years, and over the last five or so, almost without exception, ended up paying for fares in excess of £5, usually a couple of Day Tickets, and I usually end up paying with a note and change. Never had a problem proffering a note over the years.

The inconsistency in treatment is not helpful to customers.

There is, at least, one member here who drives, or used to, for Lothian Buses. Hopefully he will see the thread and comment on the company's policy.

Last edited: 12 May 2017
  11. Chrism20

Chrism20 Member

They will definitely take notes, I topped up my city single card the other day using a £5 note and some coins no problem. I don't think the drivers like it as they have to keep pressing the button on the hopper to get it to drop down but they will accept them.

12. MotCO

MotCO Member

I take it that the issue is not that only Scotish £5 notes are accepted, and not the plastic English ones?

13. Blindtraveler

Blindtraveler Established Member

I bought 2 night tickets with a note and got abuse from a grumpy driver.

will maybe be along soon to tell us his thoughts.

14. endecotp

endecotp Member

No. There is never a case where English banknotes are not accepted in Scotland.

Scotland had plastic fivers - from one of the banks - before England, IIRC.

15. Zoidberg

Indeed, the Clydesdale Bank introduced them in 2015.

16. me123

me123 Established Member

A few of the more fundamentalist nationalist individuals aside (I'm aware of one person), BoE notes are in circulation alongside the ones from the Scottish banks. Lothian Buses would have no issue taking a BoE fiver, plastic or otherwise (at the time, the paper notes were in circulation).

And NI beat us all back in 1999. (BBC news story)

Last edited: 16 May 2017
  17. Bletchleyite

Not only that, but if you withdraw cash from an English bank branch (in Scotland that's mainly HSBC) you will get Bank of England notes, because Scottish banks can only issue their own notes, not those of other banks, and so HSBC doesn't actually have any to issue. This can be useful for an English person going to Scotland!

As for the individual you mention, I'm quite happy that they will not get any of my money whether English or Scottish. As it happens I'm neutral on Scottish independence (my line generally is essentially that if a people want self determination it's their right to have it if they want, though I think the dissolution of the UK would be a shame but not my decision) but that's just being silly.

18. me123

me123 Established Member

He was an idiot - actually a customer where I used to work. He once referred to an English banknote as "foreign muck" - a thoroughly unpleasant individual. I was hopeful of the day when I'd have a Northern Irish fiver to give him in change. :lol: Sadly, never happened. (I suspect he'd have been OK with it actually...)

Most banks who don't issue notes presumably have agreements in place as to whose notes to issue - HSBC and Barclays are generally good for English notes. Santander tends to issue Clydesdale Bank for some reason, as do (I think) Nationwide. It's not worth the hassle as far as I'm concerned - I don't go out of my way to get English notes and I don't see why I should. I've never had a problem, and if I did I'd do exactly what you'd do and spend my money elsewhere, thank you very much.

Sorry, derailing the thread :oops:

19. kylemore

kylemore Member

Well I'm sure he can be matched idiot for idiot with the people "down south" who look at Scottish banknotes as if they were something they just scraped off their shoes!:lol:

20. Kite159

Kite159 Established Member

BTW am I correct in thinking a Spirit of Scotland rover is now valid for use on the trams in the city zone?

21. AngusH

AngusH Member

22. Zoidberg

Well, the website says that it is. From

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/tickets/combined-tickets-travel-passes/spirit-of-scotland

Edit ... oops, snap AngusH. Your post was on the next page and I didn't see it.

Last edited: 20 May 2017
  23. Kite159

Kite159 Established Member