• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible plans for Edinburgh Waverley station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldman

Yes, I saw the same thing last week and thought it was silly but after looking more closely the unit was right up at the signal.

It means the passengers have a bit of a walk I suppose but if needs be would allow another unit to enter the platform behind it.

Many station platforms have stop boards so trains do not run to the end of the platform where it is convenient for passengers to stop short. I wondered if there was a rule which prevented that in this case or whether it was just that no one thought to do it. It looks as if it is being treated as a terminating platform where trains run right to the buffers, even though it is also a through platform.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chrism20

Established Member
Given all the improvements we enjoyed in Waverley with the new glazing and painting , its a great shame someone does not take ownership of cleaning the Waverley steps canopy , glazing and steelwork . First and last thing you see as you enter or leave the station is layers of filth and grime on the glass and steel supports. Just awful . Same on the Shops glazed canopy . Detracts from the appearance of the place . Suggests lack of attention to detail

It’s not the nicest sight that’s for sure although the majority would probably prefer a full set of escalators to be working which is a novelty rather than a clean roof.

I don’t think it will be the easiest to clean either. The glass stops short of the walls so any water used to clean would be running down above the doorways of the retail units so that probably restricts daytime cleaning and then at night there is a five star hotel on one side.

It’s an improvement on what was there before but definitely first impressions could be better.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Given all the improvements we enjoyed in Waverley with the new glazing and painting , its a great shame someone does not take ownership of cleaning the Waverley steps canopy , glazing and steelwork

This is something that is universally really badly done throughout the UK - design in "dirt traps" and never bother putting the money and effort in (e.g. using rope access, ladders and cherry pickers) to properly clean it. Blackburn station is getting quite mucky in this regard as is the even newer Reading. And Stansted Airport is disgusting in how bad it has got. Even the netting at Manchester Piccadilly is now covered in so much grime it is a health hazard to the open-roofed food units under it (which I reported to Manchester City Council some time ago and it appeared to be being taken seriously).

InOban

Established Member
Who owns it? Don't think it's NR.

I thought the plastic roofing was meant to be self cleaning.

Mingulay

This is something that is universally really badly done throughout the UK - design in "dirt traps" and never bother putting the money and effort in (e.g. using rope access, ladders and cherry pickers) to properly clean it. Blackburn station is getting quite mucky in this regard as is the even newer Reading. And Stansted Airport is disgusting in how bad it has got. Even the netting at Manchester Piccadilly is now covered in so much grime it is a health hazard to the open-roofed food units under it (which I reported to Manchester City Council some time ago and it appeared to be being taken seriously).

You are no doubt correct

The glazed roof is easily accessible from the roof of Waverley Market . My office has a large glass canopy roof next to Waverley and its cleaned every month, takes no time, with long brushes with hoses. The steel supports inside Waverley steps do need a cherry picker and manual dexterity , even twice a year , I dont think its been done for years ! It speaks volumes to the travelling public /tourist . Our Station is dirty , don't expect the trains to be any better . Simple to fix, but just confirms that our Station managers and train operators do not thing appearances are important , that cultural attitude can spread to the rest of the operation

I walked through Waverley this afternoon and no sign of any work taking place on platforms 5 or 6.

Has Story started yet?

75B8655E-46CE-4FE6-BEB2-A44DFC8977C4.jpeg

marks87

Established Member
Haven't they only just appointed a new contractor to replace Carillion? It might take time to get things up and running again.

Established Member
I looked down on the site from the First Class lounge the other day and there appears to have been excavation to the east of the location of the old mini roundabout where taxis turned round to enter the rank. Nothing to the west of that, so progress is slow. Sorry, I didn't think to take a photo.

InOban

Established Member
I took some more pics tonight - if you walk right to the end of platform 11 you can see in.
Some fresh concrete, but a lot of work to do. They're clearly not in a hurry.

What puzzles me is that all the work is taking place at the outer end, where there were platforms in the past. The inner end nearest 385001's camera, and my last picture, shows that the area, once the short stay parking, into which the tracks are to be extended, is still just a work site.

IMG_20180609_205125_HDR.jpg IMG_20180609_205125_HDR.jpg IMG_20180609_205140_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180609_205523_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180609_205523_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20180609_205852_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180609_205852_HDR.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20180609_210402_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180609_210402_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93

route:oxford

Established Member
What puzzles me is that all the work is taking place at the outer end, where there were platforms in the past. The inner end nearest 385001's camera, and my last picture, shows that the area, once the short stay parking, into which the tracks are to be extended, is still just a work site.

Different parts of the contract?

Digging out old platforms is probably less technical than creating new bays above vaults.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
The existing stub platforms are going to be pretty comprehensively rebuilt, rather than just extended. The track geometry is being changed for whatever reason so the platform surfaces are being changed too.

och aye

I took some more pics tonight - if you walk right to the end of platform 11 you can see in.
Some fresh concrete, but a lot of work to do. They're clearly not in a hurry.

View attachment 48126 View attachment 48126 View attachment 48127
Thanks for the photos.

IIRC, I don't think the platforms need to be ready for use until the end of spring/beginning of summer of next year?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If they haven't got any other means of access for heavy plant and material it does actually make sense to work from the outside inwards, as they'll need all the usual space for deliveries, outgoing material, all the typical portable site offices, etc etc, so as the outer platform work completes they don't have to keep going back and forth over what has just been built new.

och aye

An update from Network Rail:

https://twitter.com/NetworkRailSCOT/status/1007266172310573061

Foundations going in for the new platforms and piling for the new footbridge and repositioning of the escalator:

DfqGy4uXcAEvcLq.jpg

DfqG3MaXUAAnsBt.jpg

InOban

Established Member
And some more pictures taken last night IMG_20180721_213433.jpg IMG_20180721_213433.jpg IMG_20180721_213404.jpg

What surprises me is that the new platforms are accessed by a single lead which seems only to access the North tunnel, unless a new layout is planned for the West end of the tunnels. Otherwise an arriving train into 5 or 6 will have to be held before Abbeyhill until a departing train has passed. Platform 7 can access both tunnels.

The 380 was the 21.41 to North Berwick, which, while not full, had more passengers than I expected for midevening. 4-car set.

Attachments

• IMG_20180721_214325.jpg
    IMG_20180721_214325.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20180721_214333_HHT.jpg
    IMG_20180721_214333_HHT.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20180721_214852_HHT.jpg
    IMG_20180721_214852_HHT.jpg
    982.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20180721_214901_HHT.jpg
    IMG_20180721_214901_HHT.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 78

NotATrainspott

Established Member
And some more pictures taken last night View attachment 49862 View attachment 49862 View attachment 49863

What surprises me is that the new platforms are accessed by a single lead which seems only to access the North tunnel, unless a new layout is planned for the West end of the tunnels. Otherwise an arriving train into 5 or 6 will have to be held before Abbeyhill until a departing train has passed. Platform 7 can access both tunnels.

The 380 was the 21.41 to North Berwick, which, while not full, had more passengers than I expected for midevening. 4-car set.

A new layout is indeed planned for the west end of the tunnels. The primary constraint right now is that London services have to take up a through platform even if they're terminating here. Therefore, the single lead junction isn't so much of an issue. In the not-too-distant future NR are planning to totally remodel the eastern end of Waverley, redoubling Calton North tunnel and providing a third track all the way to Portobello Junction using the former route via Abbeyhill and the soon-to-be-disused Powderhall branch.

railjock

A new layout is indeed planned for the west end of the tunnels. The primary constraint right now is that London services have to take up a through platform even if they're terminating here. Therefore, the single lead junction isn't so much of an issue. In the not-too-distant future NR are planning to totally remodel the eastern end of Waverley, redoubling Calton North tunnel and providing a third track all the way to Portobello Junction using the former route via Abbeyhill and the soon-to-be-disused Powderhall branch.
Has that all been confirmed? If so it would give some hope to re-opened Abbeyhill in the more distant future.

och aye

Has that all been confirmed? If so it would give some hope to re-opened Abbeyhill in the more distant future.
I believe the reinstatement of Abbeyhill junction is a long term plan/aspiration. I don't think plans to reintroduce the station are in the plans though.

Maybe its something we will see in CP7. Ideally it would be nice to have for CP6.

och aye

And some more pictures taken last night View attachment 49862 View attachment 49862 View attachment 49863

Thanks for the photos.

Festival time is going to be fun at Waverley, next month! o_O

Last edited:

SouthSub

Is the track bed still clear between Abbeyhill and the Powderhall branch, after the housing which has been built there in recent years?

och aye

Is the track bed still clear between Abbeyhill and the Powderhall branch, after the housing which has been built there in recent years?
There are plans to turn the Powderhall branch into a cycle path (pink line) to Meadowbank as part of the wider Powderhall redevelopment. The curve at the bottom right hand corner is the former Lochend Butterfly, where the Abbeyhill loop would be reinstated.

ZQDVfNs.jpg

31047999180_cbf06a7109_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.