• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible plans for Edinburgh Waverley station?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

big all

On Moderation
A total shambles in Market Street, it's an embarrassment to the city.
fair old distance the with a minimum about 10 steps onto the waverly footbrige then lift to the platform
or a hellish via waverly bridge and ramp
is there any drop off at platform level at all ??

Established Member
fair old distance the with a minimum about 10 steps onto the waverly footbrige then lift to the platform
or a hellish via waverly bridge and ramp
is there any drop off at platform level at all ??
There's lifts to all levels but they don't cope when a busy train spills out.

No platform level access other than for deliveries, emergency vehicles and, of course, construction equipment.

13h202

New signals commissioned today at Plat 5 and 6. Not long now until they come into use I would assume?
https://twitter.com/NetworkRailSCOT/status/1090524749606866944
DyJR7vxWkAE1j4J.jpg

mcmad

If its the yellow studs then they could only be installed once the surface is down and set. Probably going to do them all in one go rather than piecemeal.

big all

On Moderation
the taxis used to line up down there but remember that actual image is 4 years out off date

mcmad

Thats the emergency services route to the station, last thing you want is it rammed with taxis.

Esker-pades

Established Member

Craig2601

Just looked at Google Maps and thought could taxis not share with drop off point on Calton Road or have it expanded to have a dedicated taxi rank?

mcmad

The drop off point isn't very large as it is with little scope to expand. There wouldn't be room for taxis in the current set up

Esker-pades

Established Member
Just looked at Google Maps and thought could taxis not share with drop off point on Calton Road or have it expanded to have a dedicated taxi rank?
Calton Road is a weird one. The only access to Edinburgh City Centre is to turn all the way round and come back onto the top of Leith Walk. The roads around there are already pretty full for most of the day (the building works don't help). I don't think road planners would thank you for putting all the taxi traffic through that little tight turn.

Secondly, the Carlton Road exit is very awkward. It's right at one end of the station, and the access to platforms 1 and 20 are awful. To get to platform 1, one can't simply use the stairs down (because there aren't any). Instead one has to go over to platform 2, walk back to the Waverley Steps exit, go up and across there and then back down onto platforms 1/20 to walk all the way back to platform 1. It's dreadful.

Established Member
Calton Road is a weird one. The only access to Edinburgh City Centre is to turn all the way round and come back onto the top of Leith Walk. The roads around there are already pretty full for most of the day (the building works don't help). I don't think road planners would thank you for putting all the taxi traffic through that little tight turn.

Secondly, the Carlton Road exit is very awkward. It's right at one end of the station, and the access to platforms 1 and 20 are awful. To get to platform 1, one can't simply use the stairs down (because there aren't any). Instead one has to go over to platform 2, walk back to the Waverley Steps exit, go up and across there and then back down onto platforms 1/20 to walk all the way back to platform 1. It's dreadful.
Calton Road is wide enough towards New Street to accomodate a taxi rank feeding into the current drop off area. Lift capacity would need to be increased, but in my view this location would be less chaotic than the total mess that is Market Street at the moment. Cabs could leave via New Street and Market Street as well as the admittedly tricky turn into Leith Street. I'm not saying that it would be ideal, but it would still be better than what we have.

As for reaching P1 from the Calton Road entrance, it's perfectly possible to the extent that it was a temporary arrangement a few years ago via what was the post van entrance while (as I recall) they were pulling down the old mail handling depot to create that useless piece of empty tarmac that used to be the short stay car park by P2. They'd just need to find a way of barriering it.

You used to get 20 mins free in the short stay - ideal for nipping in to M&S for a bit of food shopping!

railjock

Calton Road is wide enough towards New Street to accomodate a taxi rank feeding into the current drop off area. Lift capacity would need to be increased, but in my view this location would be less chaotic than the total mess that is Market Street at the moment. Cabs could leave via New Street and Market Street as well as the admittedly tricky turn into Leith Street. I'm not saying that it would be ideal, but it would still be better than what we have.

As for reaching P1 from the Calton Road entrance, it's perfectly possible to the extent that it was a temporary arrangement a few years ago via what was the post van entrance while (as I recall) they were pulling down the old mail handling depot to create that useless piece of empty tarmac that used to be the short stay car park by P2. They'd just need to find a way of barriering it.

You used to get 20 mins free in the short stay - ideal for nipping in to M&S for a bit of food shopping!
If cars were excluded from Market Street it would be less of a problem but then you would just increase issues for private cars dropping off and picking up as well. Being deep in the valley there is no ideal solution to either problem I can think off without major work.

InOban

Established Member
Which is complicated by the fact that almost everything in the area is listed.

sprinterguy

Established Member
They could do with tidying up that collection of Platform 11 Stop markers! are there any other stop positions, in that direction, anywhere along the platform? If not, surely a "S ALL" marker would be appropriate? At the very least the Scotrail HST one seems to be superfluous if all other Scotrail DMU and EMU services are to stop there regardless of formation length
Well spotted, that is a bit of a mess. Needs one of those big cast iron signs reading "ALL TRAINS STOP HERE" that you used to get. :lol:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Probably cheaper just to tell someone to stick a new sign up on each platform than to review all the existing ones and decide whether a new one is needed.

If cars were excluded from Market Street it would be less of a problem but then you would just increase issues for private cars dropping off and picking up as well. Being deep in the valley there is no ideal solution to either problem I can think off without major work.
upper deck on the car pack, level with the passenger bridge just for taxis and dropping off.

Established Member
upper deck on the car pack, level with the passenger bridge just for taxis and dropping off.
Yes, good idea, and there's already a closed off entrance and ramp on Market Street close to the council offices.

big all

On Moderation
prime real estate above railways
my thoughts where similar but more involved but fully over the car park area
bottom level most or all given over to platforms and tracks
first floor booking office taxi rank pick up and drop off direct connections to footbridge levels with some retail
say a further 5 levels with maybe 2 mixed short and long term parking and thee a mixture as require off housing retail office or whatever pays for the whole project

prime real estate above railways
my thoughts where similar but more involved but fully over the car park area
bottom level most or all given over to platforms and tracks
first floor booking office taxi rank pick up and drop off direct connections to footbridge levels with some retail
say a further 5 levels with maybe 2 mixed short and long term parking and thee a mixture as require off housing retail office or whatever pays for the whole project

I don't think that would be allowed, there is an act of parliament http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukla/2000/6/enacted/data.html that restricts the height to protect the views of the Waverley valley and the old and new town.

Last edited:

Islandexpress

I once heard (and cannot quote where) that due to the size of Edinburgh Waverley, the density of the buildings surrounding and the proximity of the parliament buildings, other government offices, the station itself and other ‘targets’ the car park had to remain open and unbuilt on to be used as an evacuation area in case of a ‘disaster’. Of course could be an urban myth....

big all

On Moderation
Last edited:

ian1944

The signage at the Calton Road entrance is "Waverley Customer Drop-Off & Passenger Pick-Up Area". Valued customers on the way in, but not when they've been dealt with so the old despised wording appears? Still, at least it's free, suggesting that not a lot use the area. Compare with Edinburgh Airport, and the deeply unconvincing Gordon Dewar's bluster about the rapacious cost of the same facility not at all to do with raising money.

Waverleystu

Shouldn’t be long now until the platforms are finished and receiving services. Any word on a start date yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.