• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible plans for Edinburgh Waverley station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
Have they installed OHL for those platforms as it's not clear by the photos if they have or not unless Network Rail Scotland has found a way to blend in the OHL with the station roofing so it's almost invisible?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InOban

Established Member
The wiring was done over Christmas. See my pics in post #804.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Have they installed OHL for those platforms as it's not clear by the photos if they have or not unless Network Rail Scotland has found a way to blend in the OHL with the station roofing so it's almost invisible?

IIRC the recent platform works have used tram-style lightweight wiring rather than a full catenary system, so it'll be less obvious than normal. When they're just terminus platforms there's no need for anything heavier.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The wiring was done over Christmas. See my pics in post #804.
I’ve taken the liberty of annotating the position of some of the insulators and joints, from a recent picture, then it’s easier to see the contact and support wire position.

ECC0BB91-76F8-4343-A7CA-494145FB1333.jpeg

Many thanks for all the photos by the way, a great help for those of us too far away to see it all in reality...

6Z09

A very confusing station for passengers,long walks,platforms1 and 7 ,stairs lifts and escalators are not user friendly.

Established Member
A very confusing station for passengers,long walks,platforms1 and 7 ,stairs lifts and escalators are not user friendly.
Totally agree, Waverley is bewildering for anyone who doesn't know it very well and isn't physically fit, and it isn't getting any better with ever more platforms added. And even when you know and are up to the scramble it can be very annoying.

The only tip is to remember that the platforms are numbered clockwise N-E-S-W from the northernmost point, but I'm sure you know that. Other than that, sorry...

Totally agree, Waverley is bewildering for anyone who doesn't know it very well and isn't physically fit, and it isn't getting any better with ever more platforms added. And even when you know and are up to the scramble it can be very annoying.

The only tip is to remember that the platforms are numbered clockwise N-E-S-W from the northernmost point, but I'm sure you know that. Other than that, sorry...
What do you suggest for a major station that is a major terminal and through station with a major building right in the middle of it?

Not having a go. Just interested.

Established Member
What do you suggest for a major station that is a major terminal and through station with a major building right in the middle of it?

Nothing! I was just sympathising with @6Z09 and trying to suggest one way of getting to grasp the complexity.

Just one thing that does come up again and again though - if somehow access to P1 via the Calton Road footbridge could be fixed then that would be a big help in terms of navigation. I know an elderly couple who failed to catch Tweedbank trains for the best part of two hours because of last minute operational changes as they hobbled between P1 and P3/4 via the main central section.

edwin_m

Veteran Member

Unless it's improved in the couple of years since I was last there, some better platform direction signage would help a lot. Big signs at strategic places showing the direction to take for each platform.

Just one thing that does come up again and again though - if somehow access to P1 via the Calton Road footbridge could be fixed then that would be a big help in terms of navigation.

Agreed. Hopefully that it something that will be addressed in the future.

Unless it's improved in the couple of years since I was last there, some better platform direction signage would help a lot. Big signs at strategic places showing the direction to take for each platform.

The signage looked ok to me a couple of days ago. Plenty of it about on some of the temporary structures as well.

6Z09

That the platforms are numbered clockwise is a helpful tip.
I had not realised that before

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks for that, it makes it that much more clearer
There’s an interesting point to be made whenever claims come up that such and such a station is listed, and therefore can only be wired with great difficulty. If you look for pictures of existing wired major stations like Waverley, such as Newcastle, York, Paddington, you usually have to search for the wiring. They really are able to wire up these buildings with very little effect on the general appearance.

Aictos

Established Member
There’s an interesting point to be made whenever claims come up that such and such a station is listed, and therefore can only be wired with great difficulty. If you look for pictures of existing wired major stations like Waverley, such as Newcastle, York, Paddington, you usually have to search for the wiring. They really are able to wire up these buildings with very little effect on the general appearance.

Even at Kings Cross they've done well enough to make the wires less visible.

Established Member
True on the west side, but as 8, 9 and 10 are through platforms, then the east side sequence going south is 7, 10, 9, 8.
It's funny how different people visualise things. I completely take your point, but it's never bothered me that 8, 9 and 10 are numbered in this way. But yes, the logic that makes 7 and 11 different ends of the same platform suggests that the other through roads should be numbered like that.

Anyway, getting your head round the clockwise thing, however inconsistent it can be, is still better than not getting your head round it!

takno

Established Member
It's funny how different people visualise things. I completely take your point, but it's never bothered me that 8, 9 and 10 are numbered in this way. But yes, the logic that makes 7 and 11 different ends of the same platform suggests that the other through roads should be numbered like that.

Anyway, getting your head round the clockwise thing, however inconsistent it can be, is still better than not getting your head round it!
I think it would probably all have worked better if it was numbered up the West side and then back down the east. I could even be tempted by the idea of numbering the east platforms as 20-25. There are fewer platforms that don't fit the pattern that way. Still that breaks down a bit with the new platforms extending so far up, and we are where we are. I do often struggle with where through platforms are though

Aictos

Established Member
Just briefly but Platforms 5 and 6, are they built on the former Motorail bay platforms at the Dunbar end of the station?

Established Member
Just briefly but Platforms 5 and 6, are they built on the former Motorail bay platforms at the Dunbar end of the station?
That's right, the platforms are an extension of those into the area previously occupied by the taxi rank.

Aictos

Established Member
That's right, the platforms are an extension of those into the area previously occupied by the taxi rank.

I thought they might be but wasn't sure, thanks for confirming.

trainophile

Established Member
I just found a useful Virgin website but for some reason can’t c&p the link on my phone without getting a load of rubbish. Anyway if you Google “minimum connection times Haymarket”, which is what I was looking for, it’s about five hits down the results. Loads of info including connection times for all Virgin stations.

My point was that the link shows the minimum connection at Waverley is 10 minutes, while Glasgow Central is 15, despite being a much simpler layout.

I just asked the TM if I can change at Haymarket onto the Aberdeen train even though my Advance gives me a 10 minute connection at EDB, and he was absolutely fine about it. I can’t see the LNER TM objecting as I have a valid reason in that I always get lost at Waverley.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Presumably 10, 9, 8 were not considered long enough to be split into separately numbered east and west ends and, (perhaps based on normal usage at the time), were considered west end platforms?

route101

Established Member
I just found a useful Virgin website but for some reason can’t c&p the link on my phone without getting a load of rubbish. Anyway if you Google “minimum connection times Haymarket”, which is what I was looking for, it’s about five hits down the results. Loads of info including connection times for all Virgin stations.

My point was that the link shows the minimum connection at Waverley is 10 minutes, while Glasgow Central is 15, despite being a much simpler layout.

I just asked the TM if I can change at Haymarket onto the Aberdeen train even though my Advance gives me a 10 minute connection at EDB, and he was absolutely fine about it. I can’t see the LNER TM objecting as I have a valid reason in that I always get lost at Waverley.

I had an advance with a ten minute connection between a service from queen st to a LNER at Waverley . Though i took earlier train , id give myself 30 mins at least

trainophile

Established Member
I had an advance with a ten minute connection between a service from queen st to a LNER at Waverley . Though i took earlier train , id give myself 30 mins at least

10 minutes is optimistic even if you know your way around Waverley, and even more so if it’s a busy time of day.

As I got off at Haymarket the guard was saying that all passengers connecting with the Aberdeen service should do the same, even though we were arriving pretty much on time. That says to me that the official connection time needs revising.

railjock

10 minutes is optimistic even if you know your way around Waverley, and even more so if it’s a busy time of day.

As I got off at Haymarket the guard was saying that all passengers connecting with the Aberdeen service should do the same, even though we were arriving pretty much on time. That says to me that the official connection time needs revising.
In my opinion 10 minutes is more than reasonable for most people to connect anywhere in Waverley.

trainophile

Established Member
In my opinion 10 minutes is more than reasonable for most people to connect anywhere in Waverley.

Perhaps if you’re familiar with the station. Not so good for the elderly, people from far flung places, people who need to use a lift due to mobility issues, luggage, or a pushchair or wheelchair.

I would hazard a guess from your username that you travel via Waverley perhaps more than the average tourist?

It took me 2.5 minutes to walk through the station from the Market Street entrance to the Waverley Steps entrance today.

And that was going at a slow pace with a stop to have a look at the progress on platforms 5 & 6.

Macwomble

It took me 2.5 minutes to walk through the station from the Market Street entrance to the Waverley Steps entrance today.

And that was going at a slow pace with a stop to have a look at the progress on platforms 5 & 6.

In Waverley myself today...first time in a very long time....no probs finding my way around, mind you it was mid afternoon.
Was going to post a photo of Platforms 5/6 but it'd have come into the category of spot the difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.