• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible plans for Edinburgh Waverley station?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

och aye

Here’s the new gated area at platforms 6 and 7/11.

There’s a flexible sign on the concourse saying access to 6,7 & 11 is through the ticket gates.

I agree that the main signage will need to change at it won’t be correct if it’s a ScotRail service using them.

View attachment 64329 View attachment 64330
Thanks for that.

The corner looks a bit silly with those three cable ties blocking that small gap! I really hope that isn't permanent.

marks87

Established Member
Eh? The only access for passengers now will be via the ticket gates, regardless of whose trains are in.

Is it not the case that the gates you see in the photo will be open for non-ScotRail services?

Is it not the case that the gates you see in the photo will be open for non-ScotRail services?

Not as far as I'm aware no.

My understanding from this post and I’m sure some others is that LNER don’t want gates to inconvenience passengers. Of course things could have changed since.

AFAIAA LNER & XC do not want their passengers inconvenienced by barrier checks so require them to be open (at least in part) whenever one of their trains is arriving or departing.

Anecdotally I have heard that LNER are quite happy with the incomplete barrier line.

Established Member
My understanding from this post and I’m sure some others is that LNER don’t want gates to inconvenience passengers. Of course things could have changed since.
The green gates are for staff access only. The barrier staff should be letting other TOC passengers through the main gate line

InOban

Established Member
I would have thought that the solid green section of the fence wiould be opened when a LNER train has arrived into 6. Too many passengers with large suitcases and strange tickets.
And the problem with 7 is that the crossovers aren't in the middle.

Here’s the new gated area at platforms 6 and 7/11.

There’s a flexible sign on the concourse saying access to 6,7 & 11 is through the ticket gates.

I agree that the main signage will need to change at it won’t be correct if it’s a ScotRail service using them.

View attachment 64329 View attachment 64330
There may be a good explanation but at the moment I can't see how there's any excuse for getting the signs so badly wrong. Even I predicted an issue if the sign on the wall was left in place directing passengers bound for platforms 6 and 7 towards a closed gate. I hope better attention was paid to project coordination (or simply the blindingly obvious) when constructing the new platforms.

takno

Established Member
There may be a good explanation but at the moment I can't see how there's any excuse for getting the signs so badly wrong. Even I predicted an issue if the sign on the wall was left in place directing passengers bound for platforms 6 and 7 towards a closed gate. I hope better attention was paid to project coordination (or simply the blindingly obvious) when constructing the new platforms.
Neither Virgin not LNER seem to like having revenue blocks at Edinburgh, and XC don't seem to care much either way. Given that they will be running almost all of the trains from that platform, NR probably believed that the gate would be open any time the platform was in use and that the operators would prefer not to force their passengers through a pointless gate. If that isn't the way it's actually going to be operated then the sign should be changed, although I'd prefer that they actually left the gate open or installed a small gateline next to the gate instead tbh. Either way I don't think it's fair to assume that NR have messed up.

Class83

Is there a reason they didn't put half a dozen ticket gates where the green fence/gate is? It doesn't look like the usual full height barriers so presumably there will be a risk of people trying to jump it if a train is about to depart from platforms 6 or 7.

Is there a reason they didn't put half a dozen ticket gates where the green fence/gate is? It doesn't look like the usual full height barriers so presumably there will be a risk of people trying to jump it if a train is about to depart from platforms 6 or 7.
Perhaps there would be more pressure to staff the ticket gates if they were installed, and I think they need this gate so that vehicles can access the platform for servicing etc. I doubt they'd be left with enough room for half a dozen gates - maybe just one or two.

Do you think anyone could squeeze through what appears to be a gap in the fence under the screen, near the sign for platform 6? Probably less conspicuous than vaulting the barier. As I've been laying off the pies recently I might try it myself.

Class83

Perhaps there would be more pressure to staff the ticket gates if they were installed, and I think they need this gate so that vehicles can access the platform for servicing etc. I doubt they'd be left with enough room for half a dozen gates - maybe just one or two.

Do you think anyone could squeeze through what appears to be a gap in the fence under the screen, near the sign for platform 6? Probably less conspicuous than vaulting the barier. As I've been laying off the pies recently I might try it myself.

Thinking about it, it's just simple logistics, 1 gateline and staff member for 4 platforms, though that waist height barrier could have been higher, the access for catering trolleys and the the mobility buggy things will be useful.

There are, if you look closely, cable ties blocking the gap. :rolleyes:

Established Member

You'll struggle. That gap isnt actually there.

Cable ties have some tape on them now.

Lots of other tape over the existing signage and the sign on platform 6 has been moved to the side.

Also, the 1630 LNER to King’s Cross is currently at platform 6 and the gate is closed.

F30CAAFD-51E1-4E4F-BE2A-B06559EB0438.jpeg

edwin_m

Veteran Member
That photo illustrates exactly why people wanting platform 6 will head for the sign with the big 6 on it and the screen showing the train they want. These need to be re-positioned further down the platform so as to be less obvious to anyone in the area where the photo is taken from.

takno

Established Member
That photo illustrates exactly why people wanting platform 6 will head for the sign with the big 6 on it and the screen showing the train they want. These need to be re-positioned further down the platform so as to be less obvious to anyone in the area where the photo is taken from.
I dunno. I think that pretty much proves why you can't use platform 6 without opening the gate. Spending 5 minutes guessing how you're supposed to get to a train you can see just over a fence isn't a credible customer experience, even if there are some signs.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The largest and most prominent signs are the platform numbers, so when these are visible from the concourse these should indicate the route from that area to the platform. It's exactly the same problem as at Birmingham New Street, where from certain angles you can approach the large sign for 6A or 7A only to find when you get close enough that you are on the wrong side of a glass screen.

och aye

Cable ties have some tape on them now.

Lots of other tape over the existing signage and the sign on platform 6 has been moved to the side.

Also, the 1630 LNER to King’s Cross is currently at platform 6 and the gate is closed.

View attachment 64424
After all the money that has been spent, I really hope this is only a temporary fix and they have a better more permanent solution for that gap.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
After all the money that has been spent, I really hope this is only a temporary fix and they have a better more permanent solution for that gap.
The last section fitted only needed to be a few inches longer (or repositioned slightly) to reach as far as the section heading along the platform and then around the OHLE stanchion. I also noticed the bolted feet for that bit extend over the angled edge of the coping sections, I wonder if that’s installed exactly as designed?

Of course the railings cannot be fixed to the section to the left, as that is part of the moving deck section if ever the buffers are run through...

najaB

Veteran Member
Of course the railings cannot be fixed to the section to the left, as that is part of the moving deck section if ever the buffers are run through...
Why can't they be fixed? If there's a buffer run though to that extent then a bent railing is the least of the problems. In any case, using a frangible bolt would make that even more of a non-issue.

route:oxford

Established Member
Why can't they be fixed? If there's a buffer run though to that extent then a bent railing is the least of the problems. In any case, using a frangible bolt would make that even more of a non-issue.

If they were bolted, wouldn't it act as a giant lever if it was struck by a buffer over-run?

Bystanders would then be swept off their feet and either flung to the ground or slammed against the unit.

I hope the authorities don't get wind of the cable ties now that the tape has drawn attention to them. Someone could use these as a ladder to climb up towards the overhead electrical equipment. It could put the whole project back by years....

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Conceivable an overrun could cause a piece of railing or frangible bolt to hit someone?

marks87

Established Member
I hope the authorities don't get wind of the cable ties now that the tape has drawn attention to them. Someone could use these as a ladder to climb up towards the overhead electrical equipment. It could put the whole project back by years....

Joke, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.