• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible plans for Edinburgh Waverley station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

takno

Established Member
There is but unfortunately the points at the southern end of the yard are manual lever operated, so cannot be used for passenger traffice without being clamped
I wasn't being at all serious, but that sounds dangerously achievable

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

marks87

Established Member
Perhaps I’m being naive, but if the Calton Tunnel works are deemed necessary, but would require an 8-week closure as suggested earlier, would it not be possible to relatively quickly install a new crossover to provide direct access from the Sub to the up ECML?

Something not dissimilar to what they did at Anniesland ahead of the Cowlairs Tunnel closure, to allow trains to loop into and out of Queen Street Low Level.

Altnabreac

Established Member
Spot the difference from this morning

View attachment 59553

Don’t want to come across as over critical but surely they could’ve done a better job than that! Mix up of surfaces looks untidy

Yes it’s quite odd, but especially that triangular section on the right. The frangible deck sections (that are behind the buffers) could probably have had tarmac in them, in fact that’s what the plans posted here last year showed. (Link in post #12)

Alternatively, is it a temporary phase so that they can open up the area to passengers and finish the paving slabs later?

The imminent opening date suggests that the people doing the flagstones have run out of time or materials and finish in time, so someone's slapped down some asphalt as a temporary measure. The shape of the paving that's there doesn't resemble any logical finished layout.

New ticket gates don’t look far from being operational.

View attachment 60852

I was passing through Waverley yesterday and noticed that the final areas of tarmac around the barriers are being replaced by paving.

They're also paving the surface at the foot of the south ramp to replace the previous surface which reflected the former road surface use rather than current pedestrian use.

13h202

Would it not be worth pedestrianising the South Ramp now? The current footpath is wholly inadequate and only the North Ramp is used for access anyway. They could at least temporarily open it up before pursuing the more ambitious mezzanine-level plans.

railjock

Would it not be worth pedestrianising the South Ramp now? The current footpath is wholly inadequate and only the North Ramp is used for access anyway. They could at least temporarily open it up before pursuing the more ambitious mezzanine-level plans.
Perhaps required for emergency vehicles?

Established Member
Its needed for a place to store equipment and materials for works on the station.

d9009alycidon

It’s a TPE service, they are still using 350/4s that are overdue transfer to the West Midlands, but the vinyls are being changed as planned.

They have still to do the interiors as well, I was in West Midlands PTE liveried 350409 last week from Manchester to Carlisle and it still has an outdated Transpennine route map above the doors, showing Wigan North Western as one of the stops.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
They have still to do the interiors as well, I was in West Midlands PTE liveried 350409 last week from Manchester to Carlisle and it still has an outdated Transpennine route map above the doors, showing Wigan North Western as one of the stops.
Yes, I’m aware of that, but there’s a couple of threads already dedicated to the progress of the alterations, in the rolling stock forum.

Lothian_Bus

I came across this video of the 1986 Commonwealth games. At 27:40 (top left - top centre) you can see in the aerial shot a train heading round the Abbeyhill Loop towards the temporary Meadowbank stadium. There are further aerial shots but from 1:08:25 you also get a shot of a train in situ at the temporary station.

13h202

Masterplan to be revealed today by Scottish Government
Here is an early release image of the view from Market Street (on top of the current New Street Car Park and signalling centre):

3A8ABA4B-FDEC-4413-8095-945A54BB0873.jpeg
Read more here

13h202

Waverley Masterplan concept revealed
Network Rail, Scottish Government and City of Edinburgh Council have today revealed their concept designs for transforming the capital’s main station as part of the Edinburgh Waverley Masterplan.

The Masterplan envisions a station that is a vital part of the city, with a major new public space on Waverley Bridge providing views of the iconic city skyline. It will be a station that puts people first, providing easy access for all, and creating vital city connections for walking, cycling and public transport.

The masterplan has been developed in collaboration with City of Edinburgh Council’s City Centre Transformation Programme to prioritise movement by foot, cycle and public transport and fundamentally change the way people move about the city in the future.

As part of the concept design, the Masterplan partners are proposing a new mezzanine concourse across the whole station that will help deliver better access to Waverley from the surrounding streets, enable the creation of fully-accessible entrances and increase circulation space for passengers.

The mezzanine will provide the opportunity to extend the operational platforms below, create new facilities to cater for future growth in passengers and services and also help improve the all-round experience for people using the station.

Michael Matheson, Cabinet Secretary for Transport, Infrastructure and Connectivity said: “The Masterplan has produced an exciting concept design which delivers a station that can meet operational requirements for the longer term and improves accessibility for all by addressing, through its use of a mezzanine floor, the complex levels around the station.

"By introducing new points of access in key areas, this plan will ensure the station becomes a seamless gateway to the Old and New towns of Edinburgh and one that encourages greater commuter, business and leisure use alike.

“The next stage of design work will see how 21st century functionality can be incorporated within the historical setting of Waverley so that we deliver a station that can meet operational requirements for the longer term and deliver a fantastic user experience for everyone.”

Alex Hynes, managing director of Scotland’s Railway, said: “We believe there is a compelling case for making ambitious changes to Waverley which will improve the station for our customers while respecting the history and heritage of this listed structure.

“The Masterplan is a wonderful example of the private and public sectors working closely alongside government to develop innovative and ambitious plans for the capital.

“Waverley has always played a key role in the life of the city and the plans we have unveiled today will help to ensure it continues to do so in the years ahead as we all play our part to revitalise our economy and put the impact of the current pandemic behind us.”

Cllr Adam McVey, leader of the City of Edinburgh Council, said: “These concept designs represent a significant next step for the project and for the city. They portray an accessible, connected station fit for the Scotland’s Capital, and we welcome the benefits this will bring to the city centre – and to our residents, commuters and visitors. It’s crucial that the station expands capacity to accommodate the growth in passengers and improves accessibility.

“This will not only help Edinburgh be better connected but help us achieve a more equal, carbon-neutral future, with rail well integrated with bus and tram, pedestrians, cyclists and wheelchair users and those with other mobility issues.

“As such, we’ll continue to provide input into the development of the Masterplan in the coming months and years. But, equally, we’ll have an important role to play in monitoring and scrutinising the project’s progress, ensuring it conserves our city’s unique heritage and aligns with our own plans for the city centre, whether that be through City Centre Transformation, or developing a wider vision for the Waverley valley.”

East Market Street:
75C10E21-9828-4E67-AC67-6F25B09F3667.jpeg

Waverley Bridge:
9A8A4055-C25C-4AD0-9A87-9FFBCC3248DA.jpeg

Platform Level (West):
ECBC3DF8-FBAA-4FB7-8A42-61C9DF4E9CAC.jpeg

Overhead:
7E080196-9D8A-46C4-90EA-BD84B9446013.jpeg

Read more here

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
That's ****.

Why can't it be in keeping with the existing station and the surrounding buildings, like the North British Hotel ?

It's all that trendy crap that will be grubby, moss stained and rusty within a couple of years of opening. Edinburgh deserves better.

That's ****.

Why can't it be in keeping with the existing station and the surrounding buildings, like the North British Hotel ?

It's all that trendy crap that will be grubby, moss stained and rusty within a couple of years of opening. Edinburgh deserves better.

Why do you say that? I think it looks great, what are they removing of any significance? All I can see is the two ramps.
I wish they could build it tomorrow

OmniCity999

Established Member
That's ****.

The fact you label it as trendy and use the name North British Hotel show youre just as out of touch with Edinburgh as these designs are.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think one of the things they are trying to do is improve the setting of the central building, which is actually quite nice but is overshadowed literally and figuratively by an oppressive overall roof of no particular architectural merit. Having said that the proposed replacement looks a bit UPVC greenhouse. And the interior shows no provision for barriers, which if true will reverse UK rail policy of the last several decades and if false invalidates the passenger flow concept they seem to be assuming.

I'm hoping this is no more than an architect's concept that will be subject to some strong doses of reality before it goes much further.

takno

Established Member
That's ****.

Have you seen what we've been doing with the rest of the city lately? Whatever you think of the plans it's increasingly difficult to claim that Edinburgh deserves better.

I do agree completely though. There's more or less no attempt at sympathy with the existing station at all.

takno

Established Member
be that as it may but is this roof not listed? I'm pretty certain it is, so there's very little they'd be allowed to do with it.
The Scottish Government and the council seem completely onboard with the idea, so realistically no amount of listing will make any difference

13h202

Further information about the masterplan can be found on its dedicated site (here).

JM3BfVq.jpg

5I0duMc.jpg

3jsJujC.jpg

RKbTISx.jpg

i9cQIkD.jpg

WozUodW.jpg

THHzBe1.jpg

XyCOUEf.jpg

Credit for all of this goes to 'Kenspeckle' on SSC Edinburgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.