• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edmondson tickets at preserved railways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

railfan99

Established Member
Which UK preserved railways still issue Edmondson tickets for those who turn up at stations not having booked online?

Or, if slightly different, do any still give one a souvenir Edmondson ticket on-train after one presents a valid online booking?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Titfield

Established Member
Swanage Railway has an Edmondson ticket printer however they issue computer generated tickets to passengers. They did have small number of Edmondson tickets to give out as souvenirs to passengers so may be worth asking if you are travelling from Swanage.

John Webb

Established Member
Although not providing actual train trips, the preserved St Albans South signal box issues all its visitors with an Edmundson ticket as a souvenir. As they are numbered in sequence it also enables us to count our visitors with little effort! (We're up to around 27,750 visitors since 2008 when we started issuing the tickets.)

Taunton

Established Member
I seem to recall that when the national system stopped issuing them, the last Edmondson tickets production machine, which was at Crewe, was given to one of the heritage railways, who produce them for others.

The Crich tramway museum used to give out at the entrance an "old penny" (a pre-1971 decimalisation one) for you to pay a penny fare to the conductor on the tram!

railfan99

Established Member
Thank you! I have a large collection of Victorian Railways (Australia) plus smaller numbers of NSW Government Railways, Queensland Rail and South Australian Railways' Edmondson tickets from the 1970s and very early 1980s. Mr E did a wonderful job. I'd have thought retaining them would have added to the 'heritage look' but obviously no longer for many heritage railways.

steamybrian

Established Member
Great Central Railway when I used it recently starting from Loughborough Central

Tester

Not a preserved railway, but if you stay at Sleeperzzz at Rogart (highly recommended) you get one.

Robert Ambler

The Epping Ongar Railway uses Edmonson tickets. If you book online you can exchange your electronic ticket for an Edmonson ticket at the station booking offices.

PaulinUK

The Cholsey & Wallingford Railway also use Edmonson tickets, issued at the ticket office on payment or presentation of an on-line booking.

The East Lancashire Railway had them when buying tickets from the booking office in Bury. This was pre-covid though, so may have changed in the intervening period.

Martin66

Tanfield Railway issue Edmondson tickets at Andrews House & East Tanfield Stations. Edmondson tickets can be given to e-ticket holders on request.

alexl92

Established Member
Last time I went to Keighley they were issuing them but it's been a while!

Forty29

When went to the latest diesel gala at Severn Valley Railway were given wristbands. My friend was very adamant he wanted a proper ticket but was refused!! Must admit a small chunky piece of cardboard is more in keeping with a heritage railway, but that's progress l guess.

Fragezeichnen

That is a different situation from buying an ordinary ticket for a journey on a non-gala day. What ticket was your friend expecting to get, exactly? It's not reasonable to expect a railway to organise the printing of special Edmonson tickets for every event.

Veteran Member
Last time I went to Keighley they were issuing them but it's been a while!
According to the current KWVR magazine, Damems still has an NCR21, but as a TTI I've never seen a ticket issued on it. There's a print-your-own-ticket NCR21 in the waiting room at Keighley but I don't think that's quite what waa meant :)

xotGD

Established Member
According to the current KWVR magazine, Damems still has an NCR21, but as a TTI I've never seen a ticket issued on it. There's a print-your-own-ticket NCR21 in the waiting room at Keighley but I don't think that's quite what waa meant :)
There can't be many passengers who start their journey at Damems. Walk there for the train back maybe?

kje7812

That is a different situation from buying an ordinary ticket for a journey on a non-gala day. What ticket was your friend expecting to get, exactly? It's not reasonable to expect a railway to organise the printing of special Edmonson tickets for every event.
Indeed, Edmonsons haven't used at SVR galas for a number of years. Previously it was coloured thin card and now wristbands (different colour per day). They do speed up the ticket check as I've found at both Spring galas and the Jubilee weekend.

satisnek

Definitely the SVR. Being 'grounded' and unable to get up to Willington this weekend (there have been no services at Kidderminster all week), I took a trip to Bridgnorth yesterday. I'm pleased to report that, despite now having the most progressivist management ever, at grassroots level it's still the old SVR we know and love.

xotGD

Established Member
Went to the diesel gala the other week. Computer generated ticket issued at Keighley Station.
The KWVR tickets include a range of photos on the back. Today we had one with the Railbus and another with the 101 DMU. My ticket for the Diesel Gala ironically has 45212 on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.