• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eek been given reservation for Northern connecting service

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
I've just picked up tickets for my usual Southport to Hereford via Manchester Picc journey, and the TOD machine has on this occasion printed on the all-in-one ticket a defined train from SOP to MAN, which means changing at Salford Crescent, and only having 12 minutes at Picc to catch my specified ATW train. I can't rush these days, and always have baggage to sort out. Getting from Platform 13 to maybe 3 in ~10~ minutes would be challenging, especially as the 13/14 lift is often out of action.

Rightly or wrongly, I have always caught the half hour earlier direct Northern train from SOP, which avoids the change at Salford and allows me plenty of time at MAN.

I just experimentally did a search for the same journey with extended connection times, and my usual one came up at the same price, so had I known what was going to happen this time I would obviously have booked it that way. It would therefore appear that there is no advantage or disadvantage to Northern whichever one I get, except that it renders my ticket reservation invalid.

Any Northern guards care to tell me how they would treat this scenario if I presented my ticket on an earlier train to the specified one? Is this a matter for discretion, or would they throw the book at me? :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Any Northern guards care to tell me how they would treat this scenario if I presented my ticket on an earlier train to the specified one? Is this a matter for discretion, or would they throw the book at me? :(
I am not a Northern guard, but as I understand it general policy is that you should be allowed to travel as there is no financial advantage and it's 'only' a counted place reservation. You do have a valid reason to want to travel earlier so I doubt you'll be given any hassle.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I am not a Northern guard, but as I understand it general policy is that you should be allowed to travel as there is no financial advantage and it's 'only' a counted place reservation. You do have a valid reason to want to travel earlier so I doubt you'll be given any hassle.

The best advice is to ask the guard before boarding. Then if he says no you have the option of waiting for the booked train or purchasing a new ticket as relevant.

I doubt the STM people at Picc would even notice. Don't know about the Southport barriers - they're automatic now I think, so will probably open for that ticket at any time on the relevant day.

pemma

Veteran Member
I doubt the STM people at Picc would even notice. Don't know about the Southport barriers - they're automatic now I think, so will probably open for that ticket at any time on the relevant day.

They are automatic and if the ticket doesn't work and you have to be manually let through it'll be someone in Merseyrail uniform who lets you through.

trainophile

Established Member
Thanks all, I think I'll chance it then.

In future I will have to book through the extended connections page. Not a hardship now I know!

Last edited:

clagmonster

Established Member
Rather than just chance it, I'd rock up at Southport for the earlier train and ask the guard before boarding. No risk then, the worst case is that he says no and you just wait half an hour and change at Crescent.

trainophile

Established Member
Rather than just chance it, I'd rock up at Southport for the earlier train and ask the guard before boarding. No risk then, the worst case is that he says no and you just wait half an hour and change at Crescent.

I know that makes sense, but I'm concerned in case by taking the later train I miss my ATW time-critical one.

I don't know whether they all do this, but most of the Northern trains I've taken on that route tend to hang around for a few minutes at Oxford Road (change of crew maybe?), and very often we reach Picc a few minutes later than scheduled. This doesn't matter when I have 55 minutes leeway, but if 12 is reduced to 7 or 8 I would have a problem.

I'll give it some thought :? .

extendedpaul

This happens with advance tickets in southeasternland too but there's no real consistency.

When I travel to Birmingham starting from Kent after 11 am Southeastern trains now have their own advances available. My ticket includes a reservation on a specific connecting service to London.

However if I book an advance which needs me to start to start my journey between 8am and 9am when there are no advances on Southeastern the ticket just states "suitable connection services" and only the main leg on Virgin West Coast is reserved.

IanD

Established Member
Surely, if your inbound train is late causing you to miss your connection then you've a right to be carried on the next train and, as you'll be delayed by an hour, you'll be liable for some sort of compensation too.

To make doubly sure, try booking assistance at Piccadilly. If your inbound train is late and then you miss your connection you should have no hassle (should!).

Or go for the earlier train.

gray1404

Established Member
I don't understand why counted place reservations are given on the Southport to Manchester line as they don't offer Northern Advances on that route.

If they did though, would someone holding say a ATW&Connections advance take one of the advance spaces for NT advances off the quota from the flow?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....If they did though, would someone holding say a ATW&Connections advance take one of the advance spaces for NT advances off the quota from the flow?

As I understand it (and I welcome being corrected if necessary), yes, it does take up the quota.

When the Advances were first brought in on Northern, they sent out a briefing to staff (probably only Northern staff) telling them not to issue reservations for anything other than Advance tickets, however there are plenty of times I see 'walk-up' tickets booked online with reservations for anything from "one stop hops" to full length journeys on Northern services.

Status
Not open for further replies.