• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EGIP timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've looked at the EGIP (Edinburgh Glasgow improvement program) and transport Scotland website but anyone give me a timeline of the program in years, like what will be the first line electrified and is the paisley canal, east kilbride, kilmarnock and the whifflet lines part of the program?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
If you google egip you will find both network rails documents and the consultation site as the top 2 links. I would paste them but on mobile.

Eagle

Established Member
As far as I'm aware the EGIP project doesn't include any electrification south of Glasgow.

From the diagram (and it's hard to tell), the routes being electrified are:

• Edinbirgh to Glasgow Queen St via both Falkirks
  • The new curve south of Dalmeny
  • Up to Dunblane and Alloa
  • Glasgow Queen St to Falkirk via Cumbernauld
  • Coatbridge Ctl to Greenfaulds/Gartcosh
  • The Grangemouth branch
  • Glasgow Queen St to Anniesland/Westerton via Gilshochill

Once this is done the only diesel services at Queen St will be the long-distance services to the North, and the West Highlands line.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No wait, I found a better diagram with full timescales:

michael769

Established Member
That diagram only relates to phase 1.

I suspect that when the consultation for phase 2 is launched it will be known by another name - as the EGIP term is increasingly being used only for phase 1.

From what I can deduce from the Network Rail planning docs there is now going to be considerable overlap with work on phase 2 proposals starting before phase 1 is completed.

Last edited:

Nym

Established Member
So one has to ask the question, how much Diesel rolling stock will this release?

Anyone who knows the E-G timetable care to comment?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I see it is still "subject to" a few things like SG approval.
To finish the purple bits by 2014 means starting about now, I would have thought.
All to be funded in the CP5 HLOS in July I hope.

michael769

Established Member
About 50 units.

Some of those will be held back for capacity increases no doubt.....

My best guess would be a cascade for 30-35 units, possibly as much as 40 if passenger growth is closer to the low end of the range.

rail-britain

Established Member
As far as I'm aware the EGIP project doesn't include any electrification south of Glasgow
EGIP is being used for the term on any of the routes between Edinburgh and Glasgow
Obviously the major scheme is Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh, via both Falkirk High and Falkirk Grahamston

However, it also includes Glasgow Central to Edinburgh, via both Shotts and Carstairs
Phase 1 includes an improvement (basically a reinstatement) at Newton
Phase 2 includes Shotts

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Looking at that map, it appears that Queen Street-Cumbernauld-Falkirk Grahamston could be the first of the services to go electric, with the E-G via Falkirk High shuttle being one of the last?

of course, there's the small matter of rolling stock procurement!

rail-britain

Established Member
Looking at that map, it appears that Queen Street-Cumbernauld-Falkirk Grahamston could be the first of the services to go electric, with the E-G via Falkirk High shuttle being one of the last?
of course, there's the small matter of rolling stock procurement!
Yes, and yes
This will be a quite a challenge for the new franchisee as this commences just as the electrification is completed

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I hope the Queen Street - Edinburgh via Falkirks route still has a trolley when all these improvements are finished. I don't like travelling on the A - B or the Shotts as much because they just feel like long suburban journeys to me.

rail-britain

Established Member
I hope the Queen Street - Edinburgh via Falkirks route still has a trolley when all these improvements are finished
Why would this change?
The route will still have First Class, and complimentary drinks from the trolley is a factor
Equally, from memory the Class 380 has a power point / holding clamp for the trolley

Furthermore, as it will be a common fleet it could also be offered on the Dunblane and Alloa services, although very unlikely!

Failed Unit

Established Member
Why would this change?
The route will still have First Class, and complimentary drinks from the trolley is a factor
Equally, from memory the Class 380 has a power point / holding clamp for the trolley

Furthermore, as it will be a common fleet it could also be offered on the Dunblane and Alloa services, although very unlikely!

They tried the trolley on the Dunblane route it didn't last long!

Don't know why they have never tried 1st class when most stock on the route has it. (even if it is in the loss sense in the case of the 158s)

You are assuming scotrail will be refranchised, transport Scotland may decide not to. Although if they do I expect stagecoach to get it considering what a large donor to the SNP the companies owner is.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Is anyone else against all this egip stuff? I prefer it the way it is just now to be honest. Just my opinion.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Is anyone else against all this egip stuff? I prefer it the way it is just now to be honest. Just my opinion.

I am sceptical, fine with the electrification that makes sense.

Open to debate about if the Cumbernauld runs should move to the low level or not.

But I am not certain what benefit the dalmeny curve will make. I have a gut feeling that services from Linlithgow - Edinburgh will be slower as a result. I also can't see how they are going to path the fast trains when it is really only a two track railway.

At the moment Edinburgh - Glasgows are.

Falkirk High, Croy and Glasgow
Linlithgow, Polmont, Falkirk High and Glasgow, I hope that neither of these have additional stops put in at the new proposed station.

Likewise I fail to see the benefit of re-routing the stirling service via Gogar. They try and sell it as an interchange with a tram, but considering Edinburgh Park has got a tram stop why is that an improvement? You can change to the tram anyway!

I am told the route via Dalmeny and Gogar is physically shorter - so maybe re-route will be quicker.

We will see how the 6 tph is reduced when it is raining and Winchburgh s flooded!

rail-britain

Established Member
You are assuming scotrail will be refranchised, transport Scotland may decide not to. Although if they do I expect stagecoach to get it considering what a large donor to the SNP the companies owner is.
They would legally have to, Transport Scotland can only operate the franchise in the short term if either it could not be awarded or the franchise had to be withdrawn and prepared for retendering again (similar to East Coast)
Don't know why they have never tried 1st class when most stock on the route has it. (even if it is in the loss sense in the case of the 158s)
Some services do offer First Class, others have it by luck
With EGIP, all services would have it (as the rolling stock is standard), however what options this would offer is unknown as this time

clc

Established Member
I see it is still "subject to" a few things like SG approval.
To finish the purple bits by 2014 means starting about now, I would have thought.
All to be funded in the CP5 HLOS in July I hope.

Funding will come from the Scot Govt. Rumour is the timescale will slip by 12 months due to shortage of money.

rail-britain

Established Member
Is anyone else against all this egip stuff? I prefer it the way it is just now to be honest
The whole point of EGIP was electrification (long overdue), faster journey times, a more frequent service, and "substantial" environmental benefits
Ironically, when the scheme was first released to the public almost everyone asked answered "er, it's fine as it is", "what difference does it make between 45 minutes and 37 minutes"

The proposal will offer 5 trains per hour (off-peak) and up to 13 trains per hour (peak) between Glasgow and Edinburgh, compared to the current 4 trains per hour

Failed Unit

Established Member
They would legally have to, Transport Scotland can only operate the franchise in the short term if either it could not be awarded or the franchise had to be withdrawn and prepared for retendering again (similar to East Coast)

Could you please let me know the Eu directive or the UK law that states the franchise must be relet? If France and Germany can have state railways why can't transport Scotland?
The proposal will offer 5 trains per hour (off-peak) and up to 13 trains per hour (peak) between Glasgow and Edinburgh, compared to the current 4 trains per hour
Good spin, we have 10 per hour now, 11 in alternate hours.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I've seen a lot online about track and station plans and some fascinating fly-by and drivers' view videos, but so far haven't managed to find anything about the EMUs that will be used on the main improved service GLQ - FKK/FKG - EDB, certainly nothing about guaranteed First Class and catering.

Could anyone suggest a link that confirms this? It's quite possible I have missed one as there are numerous sites dealing with EGIP.

The 'improved' service to Edinburgh from my local station now (since Dec 2010) takes longer and has no catering. I have to pay extra to go via Queen Street to enjoy civilised transport.

That sounds a bit negative. I'm all in favour of EFIP - it's just I NEED MY COFFEE!! :D

rail-britain

Established Member
Good spin, we have 10 per hour now, 11 in alternate hours.
EGIP, compare offpeak and peak, there is a bit more spread between 10 and 11 per hour, its nearer 4 off-peak and 12 peak
so far haven't managed to find anything about the EMUs that will be used on the main improved service GLQ - FKK/FKG - EDB, certainly nothing about guaranteed First Class and catering.

Could anyone suggest a link that confirms this? It's quite possible I have missed one as there are numerous sites dealing with EGIP
The rolling stock specification still hasn't been finalised, it has just recently changed again and this has put it back to early 2013 (delivery end of 2015)
The service level is for the new franchise, and details of that should also appear towards the end of this year
However, all the units will have First Class, and the majority of services via Falkirk High will offer a trolley service (as they do at the moment)

I managed to get a copy of the initial specification of the rolling stock from EGIP, but this has since been binned by Transport Scotland in order to try and save money

Scotrail84

Established Member
The whole point of EGIP was electrification (long overdue), faster journey times, a more frequent service, and "substantial" environmental benefits
Ironically, when the scheme was first released to the public almost everyone asked answered "er, it's fine as it is", "what difference does it make between 45 minutes and 37 minutes"

I really don't think there's any need for all those trains between the 2 cities.....

scotsman

Established Member
EGIP, compare offpeak and peak, there is a bit more spread between 10 and 11 per hour, its nearer 4 off-peak and 12 peak
Off peak:

4x EDB - GLQ via Falkirk
2x EDB - GLQ via Bathgate (to Helensburgh)
2x EDB - GLC via Shotts
+ 1tp2h EDB - GLC via Motherwell

Total = 9 (oops, not 7!)

I managed to get a copy of the initial specification of the rolling stock from EGIP, but this has since been binned by Transport Scotland in order to try and save money

Via Freedom of Information? By any chance had it been "binned" by the time you received it?

Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member

I don't understand the point that you are making here? Scotman points out the current pattern (apart from he forgot the Edinburgh - Milngavie)

Currently both peak and off peak
4 via Falkirk High
4 via Bathgate (2 fast, 2 slow)
2 via Shotts
1 every 2 hours via Motherwell.

Hence my 10/11. It is always 11 in the peaks as Scotrail run via Motherwell.

Following Egip it will be 1 per hour via Motherwell and 2 more via Falkirk (non-stop)

It is not much of an improvement. With the current loading via Falkirk it does need some kind of improvement, but would directing some of the excess passengers onto the Stirling route which is not yet to capacity help?

We will see what happens when the timetable comes out, but I really can see they express a disruptive service risk, network rail already admit that they got it wrong with the Bathgate route and it is causing too much disruption.
I take it you haven't tried using the M8 during the rush hours recently then? :D

Compared to roads into Manchester, Leeds and London it is light traffic <D

Status
Not open for further replies.