• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EHRC require LNER to improve accessible travel service

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneOffDave

Clearly you have not been stood at a bus stop and not been allowed to board the bus because it is full in accordance with social distancing - initially 15 people to a double decker bus. No decent train service operating.
You actually now appear to be doing what HM Government requested in the first place - driving to work rather than using public transport. Not possible when you have one car required by your spouse as a key worker. Many key workers have been inconvenienced.
Of course I haven't been stood at a bus stop because I was talking about trains. Buses, particularly in London have got their act together fairly well as regards access whereas the railways aren't much better than they were 20 years ago and new rolling stock hasn't made any difference regarding getting on and off the train. I drove during full lockdown when I wasn't spending weeks living next door to the office.
When you couldn't get on the bus, were you refused access because of an inherent part of who you are or was it just because the bus was full? I've not been able to get on full transport and that's fine but when it's an effectively empty train that I can't get on or off of because a TOC or NR can't be bothered maintaining legal duties while littering concourses with walking hand sanitiser holders then I get a bit annoyed

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Swimbar

But surely sufficient staff needed to provide assistance should not be furloughed? They are still required.
It's not worked like that.
As many staff as possible have been furloughed to save the operator money.
Not ideal I accept but that's the reality.

Swimbar

I've not been able to get on full transport and that's fine but when it's an effectively empty train that I can't get on or off of because a TOC or NR can't be bothered maintaining legal duties while littering concourses with walking hand sanitiser holders then I get a bit annoyed
We clearly have a different view of the current situation.
I would argue that the hand sanitisers are the most important item on any station at the moment.

OneOffDave

I would argue that the hand sanitisers are the most important item on any station at the moment.
The availability of hand sanitiser itself is. People wearing masks badly in pink hi-viz wandering about clutching bottles of it actually increases the infection risk

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Surely none of the DfT's contractors should have staff on the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme? Taxpayers are covering almost all of the cost of employment for staff at TOCs to come to work... on furlough leave taxpayers cover almost all of the cost of employment for them not to come to work.

TUC

Established Member
That also not meant to be the purpose of furloughing, particularly so when the operator is being funded by the government.

TUC

Established Member
No, that's for passengers to look after for themselves, same as the rst of their week when they're not on a train.

TUC

Established Member
Surely none of the DfT's contractors should have staff on the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme? Taxpayers are covering almost all of the cost of employment for staff at TOCs to come to work... on furlough leave taxpayers cover almost all of the cost of employment for them not to come to work.
Exactly

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I'm fairly sure no franchise TOC or Network Rail staff have been furloughed. In fact I recall the Emergency Measures Agreements specifically preclude use of the Furlough scheme.

LowLevel

Established Member

Really? Not something I've come across. No customer facing staff have been furloughed at my TOC. Suggesting people should just get on with being left on trains etc is grossly negligent and if you're a colleague then your attitude is pretty disgraceful (I am a guard and some time ago now used to be platform staff).

Swimbar

Suggesting people should just get on with being left on trains etc is grossly negligent and if you're a colleague then your attitude is pretty disgraceful (I am a guard and some time ago now used to be platform staff).

Unfortunately people do just get left on trains.

LowLevel

Established Member

They do. But suggesting it is an occupational hazard that should be shrugged off should it happen when you book assistance or even travel ad hoc is ridiculous. There are so many easy ways to prevent it happening. I write it on my docket next to the stop. I used to print a TRUST lineup for my station and write everything on that. We had a tracker spreadsheet and every failed assistance was logged and investigated by the station managers in the knowledge that negligence might lead to disciplinary action. Maybe it helped that we had a rather wonderful lady who used a wheelchair as a regular traveller who was also a prominent disability rights lawyer who provided you looked after her was marvellous and was quite tolerant of genuine difficulties but get lazy and she would be straight round to the route manager to remind him that she was willing to sue the train operator and not for the first time. She concentrated minds.

Established Member

That was a completely different scenario.

Bob M

Airports can be awful. I've had them insist on pushing me in my wheelchair when all I need is the aisle chair at the aircraft. It's one size fits none

My experience is that airports only have two modes: normal, or full wheelchair + minder at every stage. Maybe the easiest to organise, but rarely appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.