• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Electric Ghosts

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HR2

Anyone interested in Trolleybuses? If so there is a gathering at Sandtoft Trolleybus Museum later this year [July}. Details are here >>

http://www.sandtoft.org.uk/opendays/gathpreview.shtml

Trains from all parts to Doncaster then a free bus service. Could make it a forum meet if so desired. A much underrated method of transport IMHO. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom B

Established Member
Indeed, I'm up for it! The Sunday looks to be bigger than the Saturday in terms of things going on.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I probably won't be going this year, but I've been in the past. It's well worth a visit, especially on the Sunday. There are usually a number of trolleybuses in service, and all rides are free, and are fairly long (it's only quite a small loop, but IIRC they go around twice in each direction). Also, at the Gathering they have many visiting preserved and modern buses, which aswell as providing the service into Doncaster, also run tours around the local area, all for free. Also, there are lots of stalls and things. For just £6 entry it's very reasonable. Never been on the Sunday, so I can't comment on what it's like then.

P.S, I've never heard of Trolleybuses refered to as Electric Ghosts before. I've usually known them to be either the Silent Service or the Silent Death (since you don't hear them coming until they hit you).

Tom B

Established Member
From what I've read the Saturday is a more modest offering with only limited attractions, more of a "build up" event.

eezypeazy

I'm up for this.... should this thread be in the Forum Meets section?.... I would prefer to go on the Sunday....

eezypeazy

H

HR2

ChrisCooper said:
P.S, I've never heard of Trolleybuses refered to as Electric Ghosts before. I've usually known them to be either the Silent Service or the Silent Death (since you don't hear them coming until they hit you).

Oh trollybuses have had many nicknames over the years. "Passenger milk floats" "The Red Death" [in London] "Uphill Racers" [they'ed leave anything standing uphill] among them. BTW the official terminology for the trolley arms was 'Booms' but the London crews always referred to them as 'Sticks' or 'Poles'

eezypeazy

Some of Newcastle's trolleybus fleet were nicknamed the "Gosforth Coffins", because they operated the Gosforth routes and their "tapered" front ends gave them a striking resemblance to such caskets....

eezypeazy

Status
Not open for further replies.