• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

electric-hauled class 325

Status
Not open for further replies.

randyrippley

Established Member
Heading south on the WCML today around Garstang @ 17:30
3x4 car class 325 hauled by a red DB electric loco - almost certainly a 90 but I had to keep eyes on the road.......
I've seen them diesel hauled before, but never by an electric loco

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Heading south on the WCML today around Garstang @ 17:30
3x4 car class 325 hauled by a red DB electric loco - almost certainly a 90 but I had to keep eyes on the road.......
I've seen them diesel hauled before, but never by an electric loco

It is quite a common occurrence. In the days when GBRf had the contract Class 87s were sometimes used.

See https://www.flickr.com/photos/jason87030/26562157724

(not my photo)

Wyrleybart

Established Member
You surprise me. Hard to see the logic in an electric loco hauling EMUs - unless they have tech issues

Defective cab equipment or power equipment, or even a windscreen wiper, without time to shunt it into the middle. All reasons why a loco could be used, or even GBRf needing a suitable fast train to keep a driver's competence.

Cletus

Established Member
Confirmed as 90036 on WNXX. I saw it pass through Crewe on the Railcam this evening.

ExRes

Established Member
They're loco hauled during diverts. I saw one when I was leaving Manchester during the Summer blockade.

That's what I was wondering, I seem to remember they were diverted a few weeks/months ago over a section that the 325s weren't passed for and were 90 hauled then as well

Jamesrob637

Established Member
That's what I was wondering, I seem to remember they were diverted a few weeks/months ago over a section that the 325s weren't passed for and were 90 hauled then as well

Yes the newly-electrified section from Preston to Manchester. Then they headed down through Stockport where I saw one or two.

Longest trains on that line apart from an odd freight!

Status
Not open for further replies.