electrification and planning permission

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by 34D, 12 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 34D

34D Established Member

Am I right in believing that OLE masts and wires can be installed as 'permitted development' thereby not (generally) requiring planning permission?

Conservation areas, green belt and listed structures are different

2. telstarbox

telstarbox Established Member

I believe as Network Rail is a 'statutory undertaker' they can broadly do as they like. They certainly don't have to submit planning applications for electrification although I'm not sure about new structures such as the Ordsall Chord bridge.

3. WatcherZero

WatcherZero Established Member

They have permitted rights so can do basically anything on land that's already got planning permission for rail use without getting fresh permission. They do need to apply if they need extra land than existing boundaries, they also need permission for structures and redevelopment which aren't for rail use like retail, non-rail office, car parks etc...

4. jopsuk

jopsuk Veteran Member

They're restricted if there's listed structures involved, yes?

5. 34D

34D Established Member

Thanks guys

6. 40129

40129 Member

I believe so as Listed Building Consent is not the same as Planning Permission meaning that even if Planning Permission is effectively granted by virtue of permitted development rights Listed Building Consent is still required. Hence the issues with the GW electrification through Bath

7. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

Yes, the article in Modern Railways last month on electrification of historic structures confirms that permitted development does not include listed building consent. Hence the push to review all historic structures on route to be electrified, and ensure that any worth listing are listed before the associated OLE is designed, rather than at the last minute when they would delay the electrification programme.

8. Ianigsy

Ianigsy Member

I've come across one or two (non-rail) cases where planning permission has been granted without the council twigging that listed building consent should also have been sought- in one case, the only reason it came to light was when the owners were in the process of selling up and the buyers' solicitors queried the searches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.