• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Electrification announcement this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quite a bit in that document about electrifying Shrewsbury-Wolverhampton, which (as the report suggests itself) would mean hourly Shrewsbury-Euston trains, all trains between Shrewsbury and Birmingham would be electric traction and trains from Chester and the Cambrian Lines would all terminate/start at Shrewsbury. If this happened, Shrewsbury would be a considerable terminus rather than a through-station (only Manchester/Holyhead-Cardiff trains would pass through)! We shall see though... still, could happen in 'electrification phase II' c. 2020?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Speculation of course, but you would presume some of the EBWs would become EBWS ?? and that would require platforms 7 and possibly an 8 ?? the rest possibly to the planned Brinsford station north of Wolves ??

Speculation of course, but you would presume some of the EBWs would become EBWS ?? and that would require platforms 7 and possibly an 8 ?? the rest possibly to the planned Brinsford station north of Wolves ??

From the document:

"Option D17.5 Electrify Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury. Extend Euston to Wolverhampton services to Shrewsbury and run Mid and North Wales services to Shrewsbury instead of Birmingham."

"Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury Option D17.5: Overhead AC electrification from Oxley Junction. to Shrewsbury. This appraisal assumes the following service pattern change: Extension of hourly West Coast Euston to Wolverhampton services through to Shrewsbury. Conversion of hourly Birmingham New Street to Shrewsbury services to electric. The services from Birmingham International to Machynlleth (for the Cambrian Coast) and North Wales, which together form an hourly Birmingham to Shrewsbury service, would start/terminate at Shrewsbury."

"Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury (allowing conversion of the local Birmingham to Shrewsbury service and potentially enabling a restructuring of services which would provide through trains from London Euston to Shrewsbury and releasing capacity on the Birmingham International to Wolverhampton corridor)."

This would herald the (partial) restoration of Shrewsbury's former, and true, status on the rail network!! :D

As for platforms at Shrewsbury - there's no room to construct additional (long) platforms. The Euston trains would have to use 4 and 7 (and maybe 3). The only "new" platforms as such could be the re-opening of bay platforms 1 & 2, both of which would need to be rebuilt and lengthened, and which could only serve the Cambrian, Heart of Wales and Cardiff routes. Which is an idea. They are after all restoring platform 3's facilities (which would then serve platforms 1 & 2 as well), with a new waiting room and lift.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Having quickly read through the document, Im suprised it gets such coverage with a BCR of only 1.0. Thats a very low figure to take a scheme forward with.

I think the idea of actually having electrified railways in Shropshire is something that can't be taken seriously... ;) The Bridgnorth Cliff Railway is about as technologically advanced that this county's traction is going to get. :P

But, no, in all seriousness, I can't see Shrewsbury-Wolverhampton being electrified in the up-coming round of electrification, but then it's quite likely to be considered properly in the following round, as I said perhaps for around 2020?

Metroland

Established Member
From what I can see the MML and GWML schemes have a very positive BCR, and there is some possibility of the XC network being done. Realistically the Shrewsbury line is going to be near the bottom of the pile, with its stop/go implementation of direct trains to London and semaphore signalling.

Aictos

Established Member
Talking of electrification, there's a existing route into Peterborough which should be electrified which is the Ipswich to Peterborough via Ely route which would be ideal as a diversionary route for NXEC's and FCC's to go Peterborough to Hitchin and onto London via Ely and Cambridge thus being useful in times of engineering works on the GN mainline and also to eliminate the useage of DMUs under the wire which would be ideal if the 170s operated by NXEA on the LST to PBO service were replaced say 317s with guards or 357s with guards or something similar.

Thus cascading the 170s to other areas which could use them to strengthen their existing 170 diagrams.

Another line I would like to see being done is the GE and GN joint line from Peterborough to Doncaster via Lincoln which although is the longer route rather then direct via Grantham etc...would mean not having to rely on Thunderbird drags during times of engineering but would mean reinstating the old Lincoln avoiding line and passing all freights and diverted services over it.

From what I can see the MML and GWML schemes have a very positive BCR, and there is some possibility of the XC network being done. Realistically the Shrewsbury line is going to be near the bottom of the pile, with its stop/go implementation of direct trains to London and semaphore signalling.

Semaphore signalling? Only Abbey Foregate and Severn Bridge Junction is semaphore. From Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton it's entirely electric lights, controlled from Madeley Junction Signal Box (as are the Ironbridge and Donnington branchlines). The signalling situation in Shrewsbury is likely to be rationalised and modernised in the next 10 years anyway, starting with the line to Crewe and then Severn Bridge Junction, Abbey Foregate, Crewe Junction and Sutton Bridge Junction being controlled from one location (hopefully the Severn Bridge Junction Signal Box). This will probably happen when the planned extension and singling of the Abbey Loop Line happens.

Waverley125

I agree with both of what's been proposed above, as they're local to me. Ipswich-Ely-Peterborough and Peterborough-Lincoln doncaster would both be good schemes. Here's my basic idea:

First phase

Bedford-Wakefield Westgate (Midland Mainline)
inc. Meadowhall-Doncaster
inc. Long Eaton-Nottingham
inc. Erewash Valley

Airport Junction-Bristol Temple Meads-Bristol Parkway-Newport-Cardiff-Bridgend-Swansea (GWML)

Doncaster-Hull

Edinburgh-Falkirk-Glasgow

Liverpool-Manchester-Leeds-York-Scarborough/Middlesborough
inc. Leeds-Selby

Manchester-Preston

Second phase

Edinburgh-Dunblane-Glasgow

Ipswich-Ely-Peterborough-Leicester-Nuneaton-Birmingham

Reading-Exeter-Plymouth

Andover-Salisbury-Yeovil-Exeter

Peterborough-Lincoln-Doncaster

Preston-Blackpool

Ormskirk-Preston

Derby-Birmingham-Bristol-Exeter

Wolverhampton-Shrewsbury

Swindon-Gloucester-Newport

Marylebone-Aylesbury
Marylebone-High Wycombe-Bicester-Leamington-Birmingham

Didcot-Oxford-Banbury

Third Phase & later projects

Crewe-Holyhead

Stirling-Aberdeen

Edinburgh-Dundee

Carnforth-Barrow in Furness

Leeds-Knaresborough

Leeds-Bradford-Halifax-Manchester

Leeds-Castleford-Pontefract

Nuneaton-Coventry

Stoke-Derby-Nottingham

Nottingham-Lincoln

Hull-York

Grantham-nottingham

Nottingham-Sheffield

Ely-Norwich

Grantham-Sleaford-Boston-Skegness

South Wales regional

Manchester Regional

Liverpool Regional

Birmingham Regional

me123

Established Member
I'd electrify:
  • GWML, MML and Transpennine routes as a priority. Fill in gaps for XC as well.
  • Glasgow-Edinburgh, and as far North as Perth and Dundee. Supplement with dual-powered rolling stock
  • Liverpool-Norwich and associated routes.
  • Leeds and Manchester locals

This list is not exhaustive. But the main benefits of these (other than the Scottish one) is that they are the main diesel routes in England. I found that many routes, such as the Transpennine routes, also allowed for further electrification of branch lines, for example, Leeds-Sheffield lines.

I've also excluded Wales, mostly because I'm not familiar enough with Wales to comment. Hopefully, however, the WAG would see sense in promoting further electrification associated with GWML electrification. Cardiff locals and North Wales line seem obvious to me.

Waverley125

the problem is some services will never allow wires e.g. Liverpool-Norwich goes via hope valley, so unless you divert it along the Penistone line (slightly more likely for wires to be allowed) it'll stay a diesel service. Alternativley, reopen Woodhead & send it that way.

Mystic Force

I am interested by the conversion of the west of england line, seeing as it seems near the top of the follow on electrification. Much of the line is single track, would doubling be part of this (or installing more passing loops) or is part of the benefit of the scheme the fact that the single line nature makes it cheaper to do and therefore more cost effective. The line is run by 90mph DMU so is it engineered/signaled for higher speeds? It would seem a bit of a waste of making the infrastructure improvements if it can't be better utillised especially as an alternative parallel main line (Reading to Plymouth) is also being considered for 2nd phase work, which takes more long distance traffic currently. The other thing I am interested in is that it would be done as an AC scheme but the connection to Waterloo is not mentioned as being altered, ie remains as DC till Basingstoke. This leads to two possibilities as the reading to Basingstoke section is also being put in stage 2. Dual supply AC/DC units from Waterloo, or AC only from Paddington via Reading, Basingstoke, Salisbury.

This is all along way off anyway. I was disappointed that they did not address some of the more technical issues of some schemes, such as severn tunnel and dawlish, but I assume this is the reason that they have lower BCR.

As a complete idiot I was wondering if simply coasting through the severn tunnel would be possible (I have no idea how long it for starters) I imagine there is an incline at both ends that could be problematic for example or something slow moving through would prevent a following unit making it through and have to be rescued, but its an idea. I am prepared to be ridiculed at this point.

And lastly i was wondering what they used to render their "factory" trains.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
As a complete idiot I was wondering if simply coasting through the severn tunnel would be possible (I have no idea how long it for starters) I imagine there is an incline at both ends that could be problematic for example or something slow moving through would prevent a following unit making it through and have to be rescued, but its an idea. I am prepared to be ridiculed at this point.
It wouldn't work, if a train was stopped on either side at the signals directly outside each portal, they won't be able to get enough speed up to make it up the opposite side without traction

tbtc

Veteran Member
From the document:

"Option D17.5 Electrify Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury. Extend Euston to Wolverhampton services to Shrewsbury and run Mid and North Wales services to Shrewsbury instead of Birmingham."

"Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury Option D17.5: Overhead AC electrification from Oxley Junction. to Shrewsbury. This appraisal assumes the following service pattern change: Extension of hourly West Coast Euston to Wolverhampton services through to Shrewsbury. Conversion of hourly Birmingham New Street to Shrewsbury services to electric. The services from Birmingham International to Machynlleth (for the Cambrian Coast) and North Wales, which together form an hourly Birmingham to Shrewsbury service, would start/terminate at Shrewsbury."

"Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury (allowing conversion of the local Birmingham to Shrewsbury service and potentially enabling a restructuring of services which would provide through trains from London Euston to Shrewsbury and releasing capacity on the Birmingham International to Wolverhampton corridor)."

This would herald the (partial) restoration of Shrewsbury's former, and true, status on the rail network!! :D

That sounds excellent!

It'd hopefully free up a bit of space at Wolverhampton, since the "stoppers" from Birmingham could then be extended to (say) Telford, meaning nothing reversing at Wolverhampton.

Hope it happens.

tbtc

Veteran Member
The "stoppers" I'd imagine would start/terminate at Wellington's platform 3, calling at both Telford Central and Oakengates.

Thanks for explaining. I've a copy of Quail somewhere, but couldn't remember where had capacity to turn back at. Quite a big boost for the line

Waverley125

with regard to the west of england main line, it would be DC extended all the way through, with the line upgraded back to double track for maximum 110mph running. This would provide an alternate route to Exeter (if, for instance, there was a major problem at Reading) while also providing important links between the south West & South central coast. It would also give Yeovil & Salisbury a much better link to London than they currently recieve.

D

dylan_w

That sounds excellent!

Hmm...I'm not convinced about terminating ALL trains from Wales at a provincial hub like Shrewsbury! Put it this way I think there is more demand for services from North and Mid Wales to continue to Birmingham than there is for an hourly Pendolino to Shrewsbury ot a 323 from WM to Telford!

Is the "D" category of this suggetsion an indication of priority? If so I'm guessing it's quite far down the list thankfully.

Mystic Force

The report is quite clear that tha west of england route would be AC. Doubling it and making it 110 mph would make sense however making sense isn't always the way things actually work. So is there any specific information on other planned improvements I know that dynamic loops are going to be installed on the single track section.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Dynamic loops are just a way of saving cash and still restrict capacity as you have to base the timetable around the infrastructure, there is little scope for change.

jrhilton

‘We expect an announcement on electrification this summer,' says Iain Coucher, chief executive of Network Rail. In confident mood Iain Coucher, Simon Kirby and Robin Gisby have been readying the industry to move from an operations and maintenance regime to an era of sustained investment in an expanded, high capacity railway. ‘Control Period Three (just gone) was all about fixing the railway,' says Coucher, speaking at a press briefing in the City of London. Going on to stress that an ambitious future will see the industry making rail a much bigger part of society, an upbeat Coucher continued, ‘We have an investment programme other industries would die for.' Electrification of arterial main lines in the west and the midlands along with High Speed Two will further boost the fortunes of Britain's top performing transport industry. Moreover the recession seems not to unduly worry senior rail chiefs. ‘We are getting people with much higher qualifications entering the industry, some are even taking a mortgage holiday for a year to train and convert to railway project and engineering delivery,' says Simon Kirby, Network Rail's director of infrastructure investment. Network Rail confidently expects government go ahead for electrification of the Great Western Main Line and the Midland Main Line - see feature centre page spread - this summer. Scotland is set for further electrification under the aegis of Transport Scotland. Rail chiefs have been keen to favourably compare Britain's growing industry with systems abroad and other transport modes. ‘Kent is the size of Switzerland,' says Network Rail's operations director, Robin Gisby and, ‘London Liverpool Street regularly delivers more passengers than Heathrow.' Both comparisons illustrate the sheer scale of Britain's new rail industry. Prospects for rail look good. ‘We are starting to build the south east of England into a 12-car operation. We are moving very large volumes of people. Demand is huge. No other industry faces such relentless growth,' says Gisby. The good news comes as Network Rail draws up plans to deliver the new railway during CP4. Meanwhile construction and project engineers are keen to join Britain's premier recession-busting industry. Most are combing RailStaff, railwaypeople.com and the rail engineer for the best jobs going on the fastest growing railway in Europe.

http://www.railwaypeople.com/rail-news-articles/electrification-announcement-this-summer-1693.html

Very good news! Though this announcement is about 50 years too late if you ask me! This all should have been done years ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.