• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Electrification North-West

Status
Not open for further replies.

ole man

Where does that line come from then?, I Thought all lines out of Piccadilly where already wired

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I'm saying it's south of Piccadilly, now you mention it though I think it could be around Deansgate. I'm sure IC trains pass in the background on occasion however :|
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Edit - No it is around Deansgate, my error.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Out of Deansgate and onto the CLC lines is, yes. I think that is the section seen in the background. The OHLE carries on to Trafford Park freight terminal near Old Trafford. The line towards Salford Crescent is unelectrified.

Whistler40145

Established Member
In the future, diverted Liverpool to Euston services will have a choice of routes, these being Liverpool to Crewe via Earlestown & Warrington Bank Quay, the other being via Manchester Piccadilly etc. I presume that Pendolino stock will be able to run under their own power?

Will Network Rail advice the TOC which route they would prefer diversions to travel on or can a TOC request a diversion route?

pemma

Veteran Member
I'm saying it's south of Piccadilly, now you mention it though I think it could be around Deansgate. I'm sure IC trains pass in the background on occasion however :|

Edit - No it is around Deansgate, my error.

Diverted Pendolinos have gone along there before, which is what confused me previously on the exact location of that.

Also the camera is looking north across the viaduct towards Granada Studios and isn't the view from the studios.

D6975

Established Member
Are platforms 13 and 14 at Piccadilly long enough for Pendolinos?

And if the crews will need knowledge of Chat Moss for diversionary purposes, will there be a limited number of services booked that way for crew knowledge?

Aren't the side platforms at Piccadilly going to be altered anyway as part of the TPE electrification scheme?
I know that plans to quadruple Picc-Oxford Rd were put forward (major job) but I'm not sure if they were approved.

Nym

Established Member
Well, since you ask, you could double-deck the viaduct.
Hugely expensive of course, but it is possible.

More expensive than most would think because theres a bit of a river running next to the viaduct that screws up all the ground, we're stuck with the viaduct as it is, but there is space for a large series of improvements at Oxford Road to prevent too much of an issue.

If one wanted to four track the route, it would be best to do this all the way back to Castlefeild Junction, with a new viaduct enclosing Whitworth Street and running down to Piccadilly that way...

Status
Not open for further replies.