• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Electrification threads and resources index

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
September 4th - Rail Industry Association for Scotland meet along with Transport Minister for Scotland

https://twitter.com/Rail_Elec/status/1036960367199641600

Quote 1: 'Scotland in CP6 will have a rolling, long term, work bank for electrification.'

Quote 2: 'We are seeing electrification unit rates in Scotland being some of the lowest in the UK'.

Quote 3: 'Peaks and troughs for workbanks are the enemy of efficiency'.

Quote 4: 'Steady, long term workbanks provide long term employment for local regions'.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver_m

Established Member
Some info to pass onto you. By now Walsall Station area has been fully energised to 6m 54ch (Albert Street), The next sections are, Rugeley to Hednesford getting switched on from 8th Oct and Pleck-Walsall on the 15th (From weekly ops notices)

Legolash2o

This information is great and useful for my research! I can add it to my map too!

Thanks for the updates.

Eletrification.png

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
This information is great and useful for my research! I can add it to my map too!

Thanks for the updates.
You are welcome - thanks for your contribution and map it is really good. If you could update that every time a line gets energized and then repost it really would be very useful thank you very much.

Legolash2o

I'll update the map with all the details in this thread as I've only saw this thread today. If you'd like a zoomed in screenshot of an area, just let me know.

deltic

Established Member
I saw this document for the first time today and was quite depressed "Review of Main Line Electrification" the 1981 review of electrification options for BR http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsummary.php?docID=411 sets out how virtually all main lines would be electrified by 2010 with Preston-Blackpool meant to have been progressing when the report was produced.

Legolash2o

That is actually quite depressing. I'm not fully sure of what I think about electrification.

The reason I say that is because it brings its own problems and I would personally love hydrogen power trains as they are clean and save billions on building overhead cables.

Legolash2o

Here's a updated map from the information provided (thanks again). Also included is Manchester Victoria area.

Attachments

• Eletrification1.png
    Eletrification1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • Eletrification2.png
    Eletrification2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 44

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
IN PROGRESS
October 2018– Electrification or new build electrifying in Progress

1) Manchester to Preston and Blackpool North plus Man Vic – Miles Platting area -due before Dec 2018 - huge progress now being seen
a) Preston - Blackpool North - complete.
b) Preston - Manchester - seriously behind schedule -due before Dec 2018 – now being progressively energized
c) Man Vic- Miles Platting area - in progress -due before Dec 2018
2) Bolton to Wigan North Western - GRIP 3 highly likely to go ahead according to two (not written) sources - other sources say just simmering.
3) Great Western Main Line London - Cardiff - due Dec 2018 -some reports say only to Parkway by then and Cardiff to follow in 2019 – but now energized to Wooten Bassett
4) Midland Main Line to Kettering and Corby only - reports it may go to Market Harborough
5) Chase Line from Walsall to Rugeley Trent Valley-due Dec 2018 – likely to be correct
6) Edinburgh Glasgow Improvement Programme (EGIP)
a) via Falkirk High - complete
b) Edinburgh – Glasgow via Shotts -due Mar 2019 – great progress being made.
c) Cumbernauld - Falkirk Grahamston etc- -complete
d) Rolling Programme Stirling- Dunblane -Alloa - being energized progressively
7) Crossrail (yes new build but it will be electrified from the start)
8) HS2 (yes new build but it will be electrified from the start)

Awaiting DfT/SoS sign off-decision

North Transpennine Route Upgrade/possible partial electrification
Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification, CP6
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=88054

snowball

Established Member
Interesting that the plans for platforms 15 and 16 are still on the enchancement plan but still need TWAO approval.

Anything else would have been a surprise as no decision has been announced to either approve or reject the order.

snowball

Established Member
It's interesting how Hull to Selby electrification is still mentioned.
That's because the produce each update of the document by making the minimum necessary changes to the previous one, or indeed often rather less than the minimum. Thus the Hope Valley improvements are still said to be subject to TWAO though a decision was announced in February.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
That's because the produce each update of the document by making the minimum necessary changes to the previous one, or indeed often rather less than the minimum. Thus the Hope Valley improvements are still said to be subject to TWAO though a decision was announced in February.
What you are saying is in effect (your opinion obviously) that they have just cut and pasted with minimum effort and not produced it as a document in its own right - in other words a bit lazy!

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Service trains are starting to run under electric power on the GWML to Swindon as of this week. (Albeit with a stretch of diesel mode running between Didcot and west of Steventon.)

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
January 2019– Electrification summary

1) Manchester to Preston plus Man Vic – Miles Platting area
a) Preston - Manchester - complete
b) Man Vic- Miles Platting area - complete
2) Bolton to Wigan North Western - GRIP 3 likely to go ahead according to two (not written) sources - other sources say just simmering. A cost has been given to the SoS
3) Great Western Main Line London - Cardiff Energized to Parkway Cardiff to follow in 2019
4) Midland Main Line to Kettering and Corby only - reports it may go to Market Harborough - in progress
5) Chase Line from Walsall to Rugeley Trent Valley--energized and testing in progress
6) Scotland
b) Edinburgh – Glasgow via Shotts -due Mar 2019 – great progress made. Energization and testing imminent
7) Crossrail (yes new build but it will be electrified from the start) heavily delayed and over budget
8) HS2 (yes new build but it will be electrified from the start)

Awaiting DfT/SoS sign off-decision - allegedly decision imminent - other reports including Modern Railways - Stalybridge to Huddersfield section postponed indefinitely
North Transpennine Route Upgrade/possible partial electrification Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification, CP6
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=88054

Electrification Complete

Liverpool- Manchester via Chat Moss
Gospel Oak to Barking Line (GOBLIN)
Preston - Blackpool North
Cross City Barnt Green to Bromsgrove
Edinburgh Glasgow Improvement Programme (EGIP)
a) Edinburgh – Glasgow via Falkirk High
c) Cumbernauld - Falkirk Grahamston etc
d) Rolling Programme Stirling- Dunblane -Alloa

Legolash2o

Hey,

I've been requested to upload some new maps so here goes! Click on them to see bigger versions.
GWML
Electrification_GWML_2019-01-08.png

Manchester
Electrification_Manchester_2019-01-08.png

Scotland
Electrification_Scotland_2019-01-08.png

UK
Electrification_UK_2019-01-08.png

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
Hey,

I've been requested to upload some new maps so here goes! Click on them to see bigger versions.
GWML
View attachment 57740

Manchester
View attachment 57741

Scotland
View attachment 57743

UK
View attachment 57742
Fantastic maps there @Legolash2o.
A few points though:
  • The blue points west of Manchester on the Bolton line should be red, as should the link south of Salford Cres.
  • The Shotts Line is now LIVE, but no electric trains have run yet as further work needs to be done on stations (platform extensions, new footbridges etc.) before EMUs can run.
  • The Grangemouth area seems to be excluded; this should probably be highlighted in blue.
HTH

Legolash2o

Fantastic maps there @Legolash2o.
A few points though:
  • The blue points west of Manchester on the Bolton line should be red, as should the link south of Salford Cres.
  • The Shotts Line is now LIVE, but no electric trains have run yet as further work needs to be done on stations (platform extensions, new footbridges etc.) before EMUs can run.
  • The Grangemouth area seems to be excluded; this should probably be highlighted in blue.
HTH
Thanks for the info. I'll update the map tomorrow.

If anyone thinks it will be helpful, I can make the live interactive map publicly available.

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Last edited:

Ploughman

Established Member
Also an article in the Rail Engineer.

https://www.railengineer.co.uk/2019/03/15/relearning-electrification/

The project to reopen the Airdrie to Bathgate (A2B) line in 2010 included electrification to extend the Glasgow suburban electrification network to Edinburgh via this new line. This electrification work was part of a £60 million contract to electrify 106 single track kilometres (stk) and lay 44 kilometres of track on the new line. This project, which was delivered to time and budget, was Britain’s first significant electrification since the 1994 Heathrow and Leeds North West electrification schemes.
Continues:-