• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Electrification threads and resources index

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
January 2020 - March 2020 Threads

Do diesel fumes impact OHLE performance?

Is OHLE lubrication a thing?

Rail electrification in passenger kilometer terms

Cost of Liverpool - Manchester electrification

Headspan Isolation

RIA letter on electrification

Should 3rd rail convert to 25kV AC OHLE

Grant Shapps letter to Transport Select Committee published
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/grant-shapps-letter-etc-to-select-committee-published.201596/

Electrification % in UK

The case for electrifying the Chiltern Mainline

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Legolash2o

I've lost track of the electrification maps.

Has much been updated since my last map? The last time I did an update was when the line to Cardiff was completed.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I've lost track of the electrification maps.
Has much been updated since my last map? The last time I did an update was when the line to Cardiff was completed.

I don't think so. I personally have been holding fire until we all find out what is in the chancellors budget to be delivered very soon. After that I assume there will be an announcement from the SoS Transport Grant Shapps and then I assume this board will light up and we can all do updates etc.

Legolash2o

I don't think so. I personally have been holding fire until we all find out what is in the chancellors budget to be delivered very soon. After that I assume there will be an announcement from the SoS Transport Grant Shapps and then I assume this board will light up and we can all do updates etc.

Good point and thanks.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Not strictly electrification - but all about wires down etc. There have been a few threads

WCML wires down and disruption

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Presentations

Garry Keenor STEM OLE

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
April - June 2020 threads

This is actually a 2017 thread but it has had a lot of recent contributions.
OLE Classic feeding-Return Conductor and earth

OLE Structure bonds

25kV OLE on WCML

Is there a future for 3 phase in AC OHLE?

How would you electrify Scotland

New OHLE measurement train pantograph

Corona virus and electrification

The Economics of Electrification in the age of Bimodes

NR recommends 80% of network electrified by 2050

What will be in the NR decarbonization document?

RSSB looking at possible 3rd rail extensions

Speculative what lines would benefit from 3rd rail electrification

Pros and cons of various electrification types 3rd rail/OHLE/Battery

East Kilbride/Barrhead electrification

OHLE on GWR

Automatic Power configuration 3rd rail

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
July - September threads

Lets hope this period has the long awaited DfT document "Decarbonisation Strategy"

3rd Rail maximum Current

Speculative - Considerations around further electrification in the north

Electric Shunters

Extensions or Islands for further electrification?

Route Electrification Maps

Traction Decarbonisation Network Strategy published
THREAD

ACTUAL DOCUMENT

Last edited:

thelem

@GRALISTAIR Most of the links in your OP go to a forum upgrade login page. It looks like the URL formats changed when the forum was upgraded, but it's fairly easy to work out the new URL from the old one.

For example:
Scottish Electrification Thread Updates and Discussion
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=90420

New URL:
http://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/90420

(the New URL above will automatically forward to a longer version of the URL that includes the thread title, but just replacing showthread.php?t= with threads/ is enough to make the links work)

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I am aware of this issue folks reported by @thelem in the post above. I have also alerted @yorkie to see if there is an easy fix.

I have started work on the title page but what is more likely is that I will at least do all the current threads and also do on this page. I still Think this is a valuable resource but with links not clickable it clearly is not as valuable as it was.

Please be patient with me as I work to fix and update.

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
July 2020– Electrification summary

A Traction Decarbonization Network Strategy document published.

IN PROGRESS
1) Bolton (Lostock Junction) to Wigan North Western - A cost has been given to the SoS and allegedly sat on his desk
2) Midland Main Line to Kettering and Corby and Market Harborough - in progress
3) Crossrail (yes new build but it will be electrified from the start) heavily delayed and over budget
4) HS2 (yes new build but it will be electrified from the start)
5) Various bits of the Transpennine

Extant Threads

Great Western Main Line Electrification

Scottish Electrification Thread Updates and Discussion

Midland Mainline Electrification (Actually Kettering -Corby only)

Transpennine route upgrade and electrification updates CP6

Manchester to Stalybridge Electrification

Lostock-Wigan Electrification

Other
Updating the Electrification RUS – Network Rail methodology - working party

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/369959/response/914563/attach/4/Electrification RUS Working Group Presentation.pdf

Last edited:

quantinghome

Established Member
Where will the decarbonization strategy be announced? Do we just keep refreshing Network Rail's LTPP page? (Not that I've been doing this...)

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
See post 160 - I have left room. It is supposed to be in July. If/when it happens it will immediately go in this thread in 3 places. On post 1 after edit. Here and also post 160. No doubt there will be numerous threads on it when/if announced.

Legolash2o

Tomorrow I will have a go at updating the maps with any progress and new proposed routes.

Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
I'm just going to place this here. Enjoy!

https://railmap.azurewebsites.net/Public/ElectrificationMap

I am aware that some tracks layouts may be out of date but please let me know if I've done some electrification wrong.
The proposed Scottish electrification appears to be based on the just "by 2035" but doesn't include the additional proposed by 2045. The difference is that yellow in the 2035 map gets electrified for 2045.

The various bit of electrification with TfW's "Cardiff /Valleys Metro" happening in the next few years also isn't shown.

Legolash2o

The proposed Scottish electrification appears to be based on the just "by 2035" but doesn't include the additional proposed by 2045. The difference is that yellow in the 2035 map gets electrified for 2045.

The various bit of electrification with TfW's "Cardiff /Valleys Metro" happening in the next few years also isn't shown.

Hi,

I thought 2045 was way way too far to map and was alternative methods. If people think I should map it, then I don't mind.

Didn't know that was a thing. I'll look into where they want to electrify and map that too. Thanks!

EDIT: I've updated the interactive map. Hopefully it's correct now. I'm in the process of removing Cardiff to Swansea proposal.

Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
Hi,

I thought 2045 was way way too far to map and was alternative methods. If people think I should map it, then I don't mind.

Didn't know that was a thing. I'll look into where they want to electrify and map that too. Thanks!

EDIT: I've updated the interactive map. Hopefully it's correct now. I'm in the process of removing Cardiff to Swansea proposal.
A very very good bit of work overall.

I haven't been keeping fully up to date with the Valleys scheme but there may be some gaps in electrification through low height tunnels especially as they are buying multi power source stock for discontinuous electrification.

Scotland - the alternative methods was split into 2 groups:
a) no plans for electrification hence "alternative" is the long term solution.
b) for some of the quieter routes it was for the medium term as the amount of work needed to electrify everything they wanted to do was too great to get done by their initial target date of 2035, hence leaving 3 quieter bit till last. The 3 add on sections with quite long track distances in remote areas for post 2035 (Inverness/Nairn - Inverurie so A-I completely electrified 91 / 76 route miles) ), Inverness - Tain (another 45miles) and Ayr - Girvan (another 20+route miles) all needing extra Grid/DNO supply points (with the power supply work involved there also limiting the pace off work.) These 3 sections also significantly reduce independent energy source requirements and refueling / recharging arrangements (eliminating the requirement in the first, reducing by a third in the later two cases. If the pace of work required for these schemes is the equivalent of ~3-4 years of the pre 2035 pace.
Might it be worth adding the second category in a different shade for Scottish longer term(post 2035)?

It will be interesting to see what the delayed NR report says - that will probably need a few more colours for "maybe" and different time scales.

Legolash2o

Thanks!

I did find a document that suggested gaps in the network. I'll have to properly do those on the weekend.

Scotland: I could have a colour to highlight 'Alternatives' or 'Long-term proposed'. I could also have separate colours for cancelled and deferred. The hard part is picking the colour. Open to suggestions.

I'm tempted to put the map on the Speculative forum with an overlay of the schedules so that people can discuss ideas about potential electrification based on historical schedules.

Roger B

Thanks!

I did find a document that suggested gaps in the network. I'll have to properly do those on the weekend.

Scotland: I could have a colour to highlight 'Alternatives' or 'Long-term proposed'. I could also have separate colours for cancelled and deferred. The hard part is picking the colour. Open to suggestions.

I'm tempted to put the map on the Speculative forum with an overlay of the schedules so that people can discuss ideas about potential electrification based on historical schedules.

Great piece of work. But may I request an enhancement, please? Quite a few of us struggle with differentiaiting between colours: if it were possible to use fewer colours with different line types - eg dotted, dashed, hollow, filled in, with perpendicular short lines (like sleepers) across lines that would be extremely helpful. That said, it may be that this would be extremely time-consuming, but if it were possible to make it easier for those of us with poor colour vision, that would be really appreciated. Many thanks

Legolash2o

Great piece of work. But may I request an enhancement, please? Quite a few of us struggle with differentiaiting between colours: if it were possible to use fewer colours with different line types - eg dotted, dashed, hollow, filled in, with perpendicular short lines (like sleepers) across lines that would be extremely helpful. That said, it may be that this would be extremely time-consuming, but if it were possible to make it easier for those of us with poor colour vision, that would be really appreciated. Many thanks

Yeah, I think that's possible. I'm next working on the maps this weekend so I will see what I can do.

EDIT: You can on the top-right change the map background. Some people prefer a white background rather than the dark one.

Roger B

Yeah, I think that's possible. I'm next working on the maps this weekend so I will see what I can do.

EDIT: You can on the top-right change the map background. Some people prefer a white background rather than the dark one.
That would be so ggod, many thanks

Legolash2o

For now I've made the lines thicker and you can now click on lines to see their ELR, LOR and electrification in text form.

Anyways more on topic. Does anyone know when the DfT decarbonisation report is due out yet? The one showing future electrification.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
This deserves its own post.

Traction Decarbonisation Network Strategy

Actual Document

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
October - December 2020 Threads

Static Frequency Converters (SFC) alongside Autotransformers (AT)

Speculative Ideas about infill electrification in the Speculative Ideas section of the forum

OHLE Return Conductor System

Bionic Duckweed Discussion in Railway Discussion section

How dangerous is the 3rd rail

Speculative Idea about adding a 4th rail to 3rd rail to give an effective 1500V System

Has electrification had its day? (speculative ideas section)
Has electrification had its day?

Thinks - that catenary looks familiar | RailUK Forums (railforums.co.uk)
As we were coming into Ebnat-Kappel I thought I'd recognise that OHLE anywhere!

Network Rail draws up list of ‘no regret’ electrification schemes - New Civil Engineer | RailUK Forums (railforums.co.uk)

Permanent Way Institute Lecture of the Network Decarbonisation Strategy on You Tube November 25th 2020 | RailUK Forums (railforums.co.uk)

Last edited: