• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Electrification

Electrification or not?

• No electrification

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Electrification - 750V DC Third Rail

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Electrification - 25kV OHLE

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

Another survey here, following on from OHLE / 3rd rail debate.

The question here is simple, see the poll. ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

O L Leigh

Established Member
What about it? It's an obsolete system that hasn't been used on the UK mainline since the Woodhead line closed. I can't see it making any sort of comeback.

I have to say that I'm a little confused by the question, as it doesn't seem to be very well framed. There are pro's and con's to both electrification systems and for having no electrification. What are we talking about here? The entire system? Just a few lines? Aesthetically? Operationally? Economically? What?

one TN

Craig

Established Member
one TN said:
What about it? It's an obsolete system that hasn't been used on the UK mainline since the Woodhead line closed. I can't see it making any sort of comeback.
The Tyne and Wear Metro uses it and runs on Network Rail lines between Pelaw and South Hylton.

Craig

Established Member
one TN said:
Hi Craig,

LOL!! That's a technicality.
:p

I suppose if a class 76 was fitted with AWS/TPWS it could run along there. It would be totally pointless but, as far as I know, completely possible... :lol:

Some of the old Woodhead OHLE gantries are still in place near Manchester too, that counts? ;)

O L Leigh

Established Member
I'm not sure the T&W Metro OLE carries enough current to push a Cl76 along, even if the voltage was right.

It's the same thing with some of the NR mainline 25kV OLE systems. For example, the knitting from Hitchin to Cambridge can run an 8 car EMU, but a 12 car would have to run with the middle unit dead in train. Likewise a Cl86 could run light engine, but anything else is prohibited. All of this is because there isn't enough current in the system.

one TN

T

Tom

one TN said:

I have to say that I'm a little confused by the question, as it doesn't seem to be very well framed. There are pro's and con's to both electrification systems and for having no electrification. What are we talking about here? The entire system? Just a few lines? Aesthetically? Operationally? Economically? What?

one TN
Personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.