• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eligibility for 16-25 Railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildDog

Hi All,

I was trying to get myself a 16-25 railcard online, but was unable to do so because I got the error message - Passport number must be 10 digits. I am an Indian national living in the UK, with an Indian Passport. My passport number is only 8-9 digits + 1 alphabet. Such is the case with all Indian passports. I do not have a British drivers licence. What should I do? I would rather buy it online. Is there any work-around? Am I eligible for it? If I take my passport to a tube station will I get the card there?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
WD

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stut

Established Member
Left-pad it with zeroes? Several EU passports are now like this.

mathmo

I'd suggest going to a (mainline, not Tube) railway station to get it as that will be easiest. It may well be designed only for British passports and so might (but might not) cause problems with foreign passports.

dan_atki

Established Member
One of my friends who didn't have a British passport called the helpline where they said to apply in person at a station.

So, best thing to do would be to take your passport and a passport sized photo of yourself to a National Rail station*. You'll have to fill in a form and they'll issue it there and then :).

*Tube stations cannot and will not issue railcards unless they have a National Rail ticket office (despite the fact National Rail services may go to that station - e.g. Farringdon).

tony_mac

Established Member
You don't get the 'FREE YHA Membership' unless you buy online; mature students lose out on that as well.

clagmonster

Established Member
As long as you are within the age range, or are a full time student, you are eligible to buy a YP railcard. You can buy your railcard at any staffed BR station. LUL stations as far as I know can't seel railcards, apart from possibly LUL operated stations with BR services (such as Farringdon). You will need to take a passport photograph and your proof of age (in your case your passport) with you.

WildDog

Hey guys thanks for the quick response!!
I will go to City Thameslink station (nearest to me) & get it done. Just one more question - I can go right now to do it, but I dont have my passport on me. However, I do have a colour photocopy of my passport. Will that do? My passport is at home & right now I am at the office so it would be a problem.
I dont have any other proof of age with me right now.
Cheers,
WD

Status
Not open for further replies.