• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Elizabeth line ticketing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Good Luck with trying to get an ALR to work the Barriers on the Elizabeth Line! And also, dare I say it, trying to get the (newly recruited/trained?) Barrier staff to let you through!!
Well TfL have agreed that it is valid so hopefully there won't be too many issues.
My 6 yr old is predictably excited about travelling on a new line. As far as I can tell he can travel for free with his 5-10 Oyster Zip on all of the Elizabeth line except to go beyond West Drayton on the Reading section. Have I got that right?
Yes.

miklcct

On Moderation
It's a tube line, according to TfL and RDG; not a National Rail service.
Sorry, but the duck test has confirmed that Elizabeth line is a National Rail service.

- Its services are listed in the National Rail timetable.
- Its services appear in National Rail journey planners.
- Tickets for the line can be bought from National Rail retailers.

None of these are true for Tube services, except the section of the Bakerloo which runs on the same track of the Overground.

alistairlees

Established Member
Sorry, but the duck test has confirmed that Elizabeth line is a National Rail service.

- Its services are listed in the National Rail timetable.
- Its services appear in National Rail journey planners.
- Tickets for the line can be bought from National Rail retailers.

None of these are true for Tube services, except the section of the Bakerloo which runs on the same track of the Overground.
I'm not disputing that it looks like a train. I'm just explaining how retailers have been instructed to retail tickets for travel on it.

jack31439

Another angle, will station stats come under the RDG in terms of end of year entries and exits? I know shared TFL and NR stations currently do, but these would appear to be different kettle of fish being entirely TFL managed.

I am on the National Rail side of things, but it obviously going to be an interesting hybrid of the two.

A Challenge

Established Member
Nice one, so i could go up and down a few times then without it costing the earth.
Be careful with maximum journey times though, don't spend too long in the system at once or you will get charged two maximum fares (and I think you'll need to exit at a different station to where you enter, but not sure about things like Liverpool Street/Moorgate)

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
It is not comparable to Thameslink and, as fare as the central section is concerned, is operated by TfL who consider it as part of their network (of underground/overground). As such, 'U zone' tickets will be required for travelling to and from stations between Abbey Wood and Paddington (other than Liverpool Street from the Shenfield direction, and Paddington from the Reading direction). The outer sections are more like a hybrid of London Overground and National Rail.
There were similarly complex questions in Paris in the 1970s, at least once RER B and C were constructed. RER A is a self-contained system operated by RATP as a sort of express metro line but B is a joint RATP-SNCF operation and C is all SNCF, though metro tickets are still valid in the central area.

SynthD

There’s actually a paid side interchange passageway (ie behind the barriers at low level) between Crossrail and Bakerloo at Paddington. I can’t say whether it will open on the same day as the rest though.
I’d be astonished if that won’t open on the same day, as the door is already open (with a tiny barrier) and you can see the escalators. Are there any passageways we know will be closed anywhere in the open stations of the core?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I’d be astonished if that won’t open on the same day, as the door is already open (with a tiny barrier) and you can see the escalators. Are there any passageways we know will be closed anywhere in the open stations of the core?
I was just being cautious, I haven’t personally been there, or seen it on any progress reports, so didn’t want to say for certain and then be wrong…

hkstudent

Established Member
Another angle, will station stats come under the RDG in terms of end of year entries and exits? I know shared TFL and NR stations currently do, but these would appear to be different kettle of fish being entirely TFL managed.

I am on the National Rail side of things, but it obviously going to be an interesting hybrid of the two.
I think take reference to the case of Stratford, West Ham and West Brompton will know the answer.

Wagonshop

Advice please Traveling to Paddington late June from Kent best route would be via Abbey Wood, However my blue pass is SR only been told it's valid to Farringdon don't think it opens gate's do I get off there, and use my bank card to tap in and out at pad on return I would have get off and on Far.
could date a box on travel card ?.
been retired 28 years and very rarely use train.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Advice please Traveling to Paddington late June from Kent best route would be via Abbey Wood, However my blue pass is SR only been told it's valid to Farringdon don't think it opens gate's do I get off there, and use my bank card to tap in and out at pad on return I would have get off and on Far.
could date a box on travel card ?.
been retired 28 years and very rarely use train.
What’s a ‘blue pass’? I suspect it’s valid to Farringdon only on Thameslink

island

Veteran Member
What’s a ‘blue pass’? I suspect it’s valid to Farringdon only on Thameslink
A Blue Status Pass is a type of free leisure and commuting travel pass issued pre-privatisation to certain mainly senior grades. No new passes are issued, but holders can still renew them until they cease to be eligible.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Realistically, for a one off journey, the OP would be best off just touching in at Abbey Wood and travelling through to Paddington in one go rather than having to get off and back on at any other limit on their pass, although there might be a bit more of a case to split in the peak.
Abbey Wood to Paddington £4.30 peak single / £3.10 off-peak single
Farringdon to Paddington £2.50 anytime.

Wagonshop

Thanks for info . On the rail delivery travel site which, My son found on searching

I can use my SR blue pass on
AW-FAR the rest of the line by dating my leisure pass. Both I am sure don't open gate's. Will have to find staff to open gates

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Both I am sure don't open gate's. Will have to find staff to open gates
Alternatively, there is a standalone reader on the southbound Thameslink platform at Farringdon at the point transfer can be made to the Westbound Underground platform.

matt_world2004

Established Member
My 6 yr old is predictably excited about travelling on a new line. As far as I can tell he can travel for free with his 5-10 Oyster Zip on all of the Elizabeth line except to go beyond West Drayton on the Reading section. Have I got that right?
Under 11s travel free to reading but have to be manually let out and with an adult with a valid ticket

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

matt_world2004

Established Member
On the page you quoted it says that children under 11 travel free with an accompanied adult on tfl rail

Between 15 December 2019 and 2 January 2020, existing fares will apply. Children under 11 who are accompanied by an adult, as well as customers who are eligible for the Freedom Pass, will be able to travel for free to Reading on the TfL service

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
On the page you quoted it says that children under 11 travel free with an accompanied adult on tfl rail
<Facepalm> Of course they do.

So between West Drayton and Reading they can travel free with an adult, but not on their own.

TFN

If anyone is doing the bash around tomorrow for opening day, what tickets are you using?

A bunch of us are going to try catch a train in the morning from Paddington and go to Abbey Wood and then on the way back to Paddington, stopping at every station along the route for a look around.

I have an oyster with 16-25 Railcard but worried about exceeding the times.

Any suggestions on what to use? Thanks

JonathanH

Veteran Member
If anyone is doing the bash around tomorrow for opening day, what tickets are you using?

A bunch of us are going to try catch a train in the morning from Paddington and go to Abbey Wood and then on the way back to Paddington, stopping at every station along the route for a look around.

Options if planning to spend a lot of time on the line are
* A 'paper' travelcard for ultimate flexibility
* A 'paper' National Rail ticket with a Maltese cross for cross London travel or an Underground paper ticket (if not planning to exit any of the stations)
* using Oyster / Contactless but exiting at each station (or at least once each hour at a different station from where the touch in was made)

Maximum journey times should be longer than an hour - see https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay...y-as-you-go/keep-within-maximum-journey-times

Last edited:

Wolfie

Established Member

Why do l suspect that the Crossrail pub crawl is coming....

Mikw

Be careful with maximum journey times though, don't spend too long in the system at once or you will get charged two maximum fares (and I think you'll need to exit at a different station to where you enter, but not sure about things like Liverpool Street/Moorgate)
Thanks, i expect i'll exit at Woolwich and head to the DLR then, and then go back on the Elizabeth Line later

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks, i expect i'll exit at Woolwich and head to the DLR then, and then go back on the Elizabeth Line later
Beware - there is an OSI between Woolwich EL and NR/DLR, which will mean your journey will be extended and hence the journey time will continue 'ticking' towards the maximum journey time.

The only surefire way to break the journey is to either take longer than the permissible time for the OSI (it's 20 minutes for most OSIs - see Oyster Rail for full details), or to touch out and back in at a barriered station.

The latter detail is important, as standalone readers at unbarriered stations can get confused if you touch out and back in in quick succession.

PeterC

Established Member
Beware - there is an OSI between Woolwich EL and NR/DLR, which will mean your journey will be extended and hence the journey time will continue 'ticking' towards the maximum journey time.

The only surefire way to break the journey is to either take longer than the permissible time for the OSI (it's 20 minutes for most OSIs - see Oyster Rail for full details), or to touch out and back in at a barriered station.

The latter detail is important, as standalone readers at unbarriered stations can get confused if you touch out and back in in quick succession.
Also if your journey times out a touch at a standalone reader will start a new journey.

My experience of the help desk is that the idea that something that registered as a touch in could be the completion of a journey is enough to make the operator's head explode.

mm333

Does going one stop on a bus break your OSI?

Status
Not open for further replies.