• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ellesmere Port Docks Lines/Sidings

Status
Not open for further replies.

soasccs

Hi all, apologies if this is in the wrong forum section - I wasn't sure.

Before christmas I was working on a distribution contract up near the old Ellesmere Port docks - I'm from way down south and it was my first time up there, and I have very little knowledge of the area. Stumbled upon the several level crossings in the area on this old dock branches. Colleagues from the local area just dismissed it as 'trains haven't been along here for years!' or 'since we were kids!' etc. However the track looked fairly well maintained still and probably useable - in addition there seemed to be some lit signal lights still on the track so it got me curious. At one of the level crossings the track is however gated off and a bit overgrown.

I've done some research and it seems like the line came back in to use in the noughties and coal trains ran to Manisty Wharf until circa 2012-ish? There was also a sand/glass train that ran on the branch to the right to ex-Cawoods up until around 2016, until it moved to their new sidings down near Cheshire Jct. I've also found that Vauxhall were trialling car trains for a while, a couple of years ago. Does anyone know if the Vauxhall trains have continued? If not, does anyone know when the last train to run on each branch was (one branch to Manisty, and the short one to Cawoods)? Is there any occasional traffic still using the branches or any likelihood of it restarting?

Another curious thing was that there are still signs at the crossings alluding to the railway being owned by the MSC, although I assume these are just relics. Is the track still owned by MSC/Peel or I assume its back in public/Network Rail hands, and if so does anyone know the date when this happened?

Sorry for the many many questions! Massive thanks in advance to anybody who can help! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
The line is still owned by the MSC - Network Rail ownership ceases several hundred yards from the junction with the main line; I don't have the exact location. It's never been part of the BR/NR system at any time.

Pacef8

The wharf brought coal in that was taken to fiddlers ferry power station that has now been decommissioned under the Kyoto agreement and our emissions. The rail to vauxhall has been mostly lifted now making way for peel ports plans with bowater and a dock/canal motorway interface.

soasccs

Thanks! In a way I suppose it is a bit more worrying that the line is still in private hands, as there would be nothing stopping the (new) owner from putting it into disuse or even lifting it if not required. Hopefully the eventual occupants of the site make use of the much vaunted 'multi modal' opportunities that all the press releases bang on about!

On another note, I found a press release for Recresco recently (who have just bought their warehouse at Manisty, rather than leasing) which appears to show a train or at least some rail wagons on site in a recent photo. Another urban explorers blog I found where someone was exploring the old Bridgewater Paper factory next door - in the background there are again wagons visible at Recresco glass recycling plant. Does anyone know anything about these trains?

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Thanks! In a way I suppose it is a bit more worrying that the line is still in private hands, as there would be nothing stopping the (new) owner from putting it into disuse or even lifting it if not required. Hopefully the eventual occupants of the site make use of the much vaunted 'multi modal' opportunities that all the press releases bang on about!

On another note, I found a press release for Recresco recently (who have just bought their warehouse at Manisty, rather than leasing) which appears to show a train or at least some rail wagons on site in a recent photo. Another urban explorers blog I found where someone was exploring the old Bridgewater Paper factory next door - in the background there are again wagons visible at Recresco glass recycling plant. Does anyone know anything about these trains?
Without getting too hung up on the precise status of some bodies like British Nuclear Fuels Limited practically all freight terminals are in 'private hands'. Rail freight has to justify it existence by providing effective, reliable and affordable services that its customers need.

Various traffic with a final destination (via interim road shuttle) of the glass making plant at Ince was handled at Ellesmere Port pending opening of the site's own facilities some years ago.

soasccs

Without getting too hung up on the precise status of some bodies like British Nuclear Fuels Limited practically all freight terminals are in 'private hands'. Rail freight has to justify it existence by providing effective, reliable and affordable services that its customers need.

Various traffic with a final destination (via interim road shuttle) of the glass making plant at Ince was handled at Ellesmere Port pending opening of the site's own facilities some years ago.

Hi, thank you :) I'm aware of the Quinn/Encirc Glass sand trains that ran to/from Ellesmere Port Docks - I believe they used the branch that veers off to the right (former Cawoods container terminal) - these stopped in circa 2016 when their own facility opened at Ince.

However, on the longer branch at Manisty Wharf there is (still) a separate glass recycling plant owned by Recresco - and rail wagons have been photographed on this site in 2019. But I can't find any details online of any services at that time to that location. Additionally a trade interview with a Recresco in September 2020 mentions how great they think the 'live rail link into the site' is.

RichA

Hi, thank you :) I'm aware of the Quinn/Encirc Glass sand trains that ran to/from Ellesmere Port Docks - I believe they used the branch that veers off to the right (former Cawoods container terminal) - these stopped in circa 2016 when their own facility opened at Ince.

However, on the longer branch at Manisty Wharf there is (still) a separate glass recycling plant owned by Recresco - and rail wagons have been photographed on this site in 2019. But I can't find any details online of any services at that time to that location. Additionally a trade interview with a Recresco in September 2020 mentions how great they think the 'live rail link into the site' is.
The wagons at Manisty wharf are in storage, they came here after the traffic they were employed on (Bridgend Fords traffic) ceased. A couple of them have been removed fairly recently for use elsewhere.

soasccs

Thank you RichA and mpb56125 - that answers my main questions! :) Let's hope traffic returns to the line one day, It was certainly an interesting find when I was up there for work.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The line is still owned by the MSC - Network Rail ownership ceases several hundred yards from the junction with the main line; I don't have the exact location. It's never been part of the BR/NR system at any time.
Track maps doesn't really help too much either. It has the Richard Lawson Transport / West End Sidings at around 5 chains after leaving the Hooton and Helsby Down Main Line, and a footpath crossing (linking New Grosvenor Road and Jacks Wood Avenue) at around 48 chains. The NR/MSC boundary is somewhere in between.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
An enthusiasts special ran down the branch in January 2016. However because the sharp curves were too tight for passenger stock, it had to stop just past the point where the two branches split. This was a pity as Manisty Wharf is a pretty little canalside location with a station-style nameboard, flower beds, and a plinthed narrow-gauge freight wagon next to an old semaphore signal. However I don't think there is public access.

Attachments

• SAM_3813.JPG
    SAM_3813.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
  • SAM_3815.JPG
    SAM_3815.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 102

Adrian Barr

I was looking at this thread ages ago and never got around to replying.
Out of interest I've been putting together scattered bits of information to get a picture of traffic at Ellesmere Port over the past few years:

There's a good video from 2012 (it was mentioned on an old thread) - not exactly a cab ride, more of a trolley ride I think - showing the complete route from the buffer stops at the end of the run round loop on Manisty Wharf, down to the position light signal at the exit from the branch:
Video Title: Manisty Wharf to Ellesmere Port coal line

You can see the ship canal to the left, the overhead conveyor which took coal to the loading point, and the raised concrete wall of the loading pad. Further along the branch there is a short cripple siding and then the connection joins from the former Cawoods siding just as the line runs beneath the A5032 and M53 (various photos and videos are taken from that bridge).

Some of the info / pics / video linked below are from "beast66606" who deserves credit for documenting the traffic so well. I've linked a couple of excellent and very relevant RMWeb threads which I hope is OK.

Stored Wagons:

Already mentioned in post #8 is a working that brought 23 IVA Cargowaggon 2-axle vans from Bridgend to Ellesmere Port after the end of the component traffic from Bridgend to Dagenham.
The vans ran as a 6Z66 06:35 Bridgend - Ellesmere Port on 04/07/19 with 66846, got as far as Hooton, and eventually reached Ellesmere Port on 08/07/19.
Some info with pics here - http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nw1907c.htm
There are various Pictures on flickr if you search "6Z66 Ellesmere Port" - https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=6z66 ellesmere port
By co-incidence these wagons are visible on the satellite imagery on Google Maps (2D version) - search for Manisty Wharf. They are shown stabled by the former coal loading point.

2 of these IVAs were picked up by the Class 20 movement mentioned in post #9, on 18/10/19.
20118 & 20132 ran in as 0Z20 07:45 from Longport and left as 6Z21 12:19 Ellesmere Port - Garston.
These 2 wagons then went on something of a grand tour at the end of 2020, being taken to Dollands Moor (on the train from Ditton) and then to Daventry and on to France (with the water train).
They then returned to the UK and ended up at Doncaster Belmont.
These IVA wagons are similar to the IZA twin-vans used on the water trains, so presumably this was some sort of trial to assess their suitability on that flow.

Just as intriguing is a report that at least some of the IVAs at Ellesmere Port were being taken by road to Seaforth, with a suggestion that some have been sold for use as billet carriers for Celsa:

Coal trains:

I think the coal trains from Manisty Wharf to Fiddlers must have started around 2006 - they appear in the Autumn 2006 Freightmaster but not the Spring 2005 one.

Typical daytime headcodes were:
4F02 07:25 Garston - Ellesmere Port
6F02 12:07 Ellesmere Port - Fiddlers
4F03 15:15 Fiddlers Ferry - Ellesmere Port
6F03 18:55 Ellesmere Port - Fiddlers Ferry

Interestingly, this Jan 2009 Youtube video is taken at the point where the Cawoods siding diverges from the Manisty Wharf line, but there is no track into the Cawoods siding - it must have been relaid later
Channel: beast66606
Video: 66601 on 4F02, 07:25, Garston - Ellesmere Port Manisty Wharf

Compare that video to this photo of 4F02 coal empties arriving, while a biomass train waits in the Cawoods siding in 2013: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stuarts-phots/9669632633/

The last coal train was apparently 6F05 00:23 Ellesmere Port - Fiddlers Ferry on 22/06/15 - see
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/i...e-port-reported-to-be-closing-30th-june-2015/

Biomass trains:

I can only find photos of these running during Summer 2013 (June-September) to Ironbridge. I think by 2014 they were running from Liverpool Bulk Terminal instead.

Daytime Headcodes:
4F65 21:37 Ironbridge - Ellesmere Port
6G71 13:57 Ellesmere Port - Ironbridge
4F70 13:00 Ironbridge - Ellesmere Port

They were evidently loaded on the Cawoods siding, with a somewhat makeshift arrangement of a tractor tipping biomass from a trailer which was then loaded by grab: https://www.flickr.com/photos/yogzfots/51034837008/in/photostream/

Channel: jimmydolittle
Video: GBRf 66723 bio fuel at Ellesmere Port

The trains would have to run round at Manisty Wharf first and then return to propel into the Cawoods siding, as it appears to be a simple dead-end siding with no run-round loop.

Sand trains:

These also ran to the Cawoods siding, unloaded by grab in the same place as the later biomass traffic.
Presumably the sand traffic was the reason for the siding being reinstated - a temporary solution before the terminal at Ince & Elton could be commissioned.

The first train ran on 08/04/11 and is amply documented by beast66606 -

This was a Freightliner working at first, with the traffic later being taken over by DB and running 2/3 times a week.

FLHH:
6Z88 Middleton Towers - Ellesmere Port
6Z89 07:42 Ellesmere Port - Crewe Basford Hall

DB:
6M88 Middleton Towers - Ellesmere Port
6F92 06:05 Ellesmere Port - Warrington Arpley

The traffic switched to the new terminal at Ince & Elton in May 2016, with some sort of trial a month earlier. This also meant the traffic switched from box wagons to hoppers.
Nice drone shot of the new siding at Ince & Elton - https://www.flickr.com/photos/robmcrorie/47159352352

Car trains:

I believe the original car traffic ceased around 2000. There's a nice shot of 37219 hauling cars from Ellesmere Port to Garston for export on this page, which also has a photo of 37894 on a Cawoods containerised coal working in 1992 (both at Frodsham - scroll down or search for "Ellesmere" within the page) - http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nw2006b.htm
As an aside, a photo in the excellent "The Changing Face of Railfreight" bookazine from David Ratcliffe (Mortons Media 2019) shows a Freightliner train departing the Cawoods terminal when it was being used briefly for normal container traffic around 1990. Apparently the original Cawoods siding opened in 1986 - I remember the yellow Cawoods containers appearing at Warrington Bank Quay with a class 56 after coming over the Pennines from the North East (Lynemouth I believe) with export coal for Ireland.

There have been 3 car trials at Ellesmere Port in recent years.

The first ran with 67008 and a single WIA wagon on 20/01/11.
4F98 12:00 Arpley - Ellesmere Port
4F99 17:00 Ellesmere Port - Arpley

Channel: beast66606
Video: 67008 on 4F98, 12:00, Warrington Arpley - Ellesmere Port Manisty Wharf

The second ran on 16/06/11 with 66250 and a single WIA wagon; it is well documented by beast66606 again, with photos taken on the Cawoods siding at Ellemere Port (scroll down a bit on this RMWeb thread) : https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/29348-ellesmere-port-vauxhall-car-trial/
4F98 12:00 Arpley - Ellesmere Port
4F99 16:10 Ellesmere Port - Arpley

Looks like both of these WIA trials ran empty to and from Ellesmere Port and were assessing the general feasibility of loading cars there.

The third trial was a 6L50 Ellesmere Port - Ripple Lane on 15/01/16. The train can be seen passing Barking with loaded cars on a video from the Barking webcam
Channel: Barking & Bedford Cams
Video: First HS1 exports 6L50 @Barking
Video Description: "A little bit of history being made as 66101 hauls the first batch of Opel badged Vauxhall Astras for Export via HS1 and the Channel Tunnel ,passes the Barking Cams Friday 15th January 2016 on 6L50 Ellesmere Port to Ripple Lane West."

At this time there were plans for Barking Eurohub (the location of the first "China Train" event, later used for spoil loading) to become an automotive hub for the import and export of cars.
I believe the cars were actually unloaded at Barking and reloaded onto German wagons for onward movement via HS1.
This might seem a bit strange as the wagons they arrived on are French-registered and suitable for tunnel use, but it would fit in with the idea of trialling car loading and unloading at Barking.

Also linked to Barking and Ellesmere Port, I found an intriguing snippet with a photo in an article from 2012 - https://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/Comment/freight-trains-freight-gains-from-high-speed-2
"A short trial train of continental wagons carrying Ewals Cargo Care road semi-trailers (see photos) was operated from Antwerp to Barking via High Speed 1. But the goods were actually destined for Vauxhall at Ellesmere Port, and had to complete its journey on the M25, M1 and M6 motorways, because the wagons and their lorry trailers won’t fit into the West Coast loading gauge."
Appears to be a photo of a pocket wagon conveying a semi-trailer, which would be an unusual sight in the UK!

And finally:

Scroll down (or search for Ellesmere) and this nwrail thread from July 2013 has a nice snippet with photos: Due to cable problems, the sand train, coal train and biomass were all in the vicinity of Ellesmere Port at the same time... http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nw1307b.htm

L401CJF

Established Member
Further up the line from Vauxhalls the tracks are partly intact up to Eastham Oil refinery, I walked them a while back before any was lifted. Was able to walk right to the loading facility on one side and came to a locked gate on the other line. The track is still intact on this side and the loading equipment.

Any idea when the refinery trains stopped running and what hauled them down the side of North Road? Photos would be even better!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

Just been looking at old OS maps of the area, and the current MSC branch was built by 1910 and is named as the Shropshire Union Railway (owned by the LNWR).
It served the old port/MSC infrastructure to the east via what is now the "Cawoods" branch.
Bowaters paper mill makes an appearance on post WW2 maps, but it dates from 1932 and there are photos then of the new works and of what became the "Manisty" branch showing steam engines and rail wagons.
The oldest map (1872) shows Ellesmere Port station in open fields well south of the built-up port area, and was originally named "Whitby Locks".
In fact the whole area was totally rural until the 20th century, with Hooton Park covering the present Vauxhall/Bowaters complex.

PS Some old photos of the canal area here:
Ellesmere Port Britain From Above pics - Cheshire Live (cheshire-live.co.uk)
The 3rd one of Bowaters in 1932 shows freight wagons in two places.

Last edited:

furnessvale

Established Member
Further up the line from Vauxhalls the tracks are partly intact up to Eastham Oil refinery, I walked them a while back before any was lifted. Was able to walk right to the loading facility on one side and came to a locked gate on the other line. The track is still intact on this side and the loading equipment.

Any idea when the refinery trains stopped running and what hauled them down the side of North Road? Photos would be even better!
Refinery trains stopped because investment would have been required in vapour capturing equipment at the loading points. The refinery decided it would be cheaper/better to use road instead.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Refinery trains stopped because investment would have been required in vapour capturing equipment at the loading points. The refinery decided it would be cheaper/better to use road instead.
Isn't Eastham linked to the national pipeline?

If not, where has significant flows from there where a train could be suitable?

L401CJF

Established Member
Isn't Eastham linked to the national pipeline?

If not, where has significant flows from there where a train could be suitable?
Can't comment on pipelines but they have a lot of lorry tanker work.

Another branch runs off the dock branch right behind my house, track was lifted some years ago now. Used to branch off the dock line between the mainline and the M53 bridge, then heads off to what is now Ellesmere Port Scania. I live in a new build house (Ellesmere Park Persimmon), the wasteland behind (now building industrial units) I believe used to be a gas works. Assume this branch went there? The line up to Vauxhalls/Eastham runs parallel to it on the opposite side of the M53. I can see the railway bridge this branch passed under on Rossmoor Rd East from my window.

Cakestall

Thank you. Looking at that, most inland terminals are linked by the pipeline or existing trains so even if linked, I don't think there could be much traffic now, surely.
Terminals down south West are served by coastal shipping as are the Scottish Highland Terminals.

Adrian Barr

I remember seeing the Stanlow oil trains in the 1990s but I didn't realise there was a separate refinery at Eastham.
"Freight Only Volume 1" by Paul Shannon mentions block train departures from Ellesmere Port in 1987 of bitumen to Skipton and Bardon Hill, and the Amlwch chemical tanks, plus speedlink trips to Warrington.
I'm not sure which traffic came from which terminal but judging from the photo in that book of Ellesmere Port yard (taken in 1986) it was still a fascinating place in the mid 1980s.

These RMWeb posts should be useful - it looks like there was a fleet of MSC sentinel locos in use at Ellesmere Port.

Potted history of the MSC system (useful info with a "timeline of decline" but most of the links no longer work)

Some Wirral Industrials (lots of good photos).

Photos of the Eastham line in 2010

L401CJF

Established Member
I remember seeing the Stanlow oil trains in the 1990s but I didn't realise there was a separate refinery at Eastham.
"Freight Only Volume 1" by Paul Shannon mentions block train departures from Ellesmere Port in 1987 of bitumen to Skipton and Bardon Hill, and the Amlwch chemical tanks, plus speedlink trips to Warrington.
I'm not sure which traffic came from which terminal but judging from the photo in that book of Ellesmere Port yard (taken in 1986) it was still a fascinating place in the mid 1980s.

These RMWeb posts should be useful - it looks like there was a fleet of MSC sentinel locos in use at Ellesmere Port.

Potted history of the MSC system (useful info with a "timeline of decline" but most of the links no longer work)

Some Wirral Industrials (lots of good photos).

Photos of the Eastham line in 2010
Very interesting and a great read. Not Ellesmere Port, but I also spent a great deal of time exploring the Bromborough Dock branch in my childhood, lines long gone by then but plenty of relics still to be found. Still amazes me seeing the photos of 47s etc roaming the line.

mailbyrail

I echo the interest - I lived in Bromborough in the late 60s and was fascinated by the variety and change going in. I loved cycling through Birkenhead docks where tracks were everywhere but more were being taken out of use every time I visited. Similarly the Port Sunlight network was vanishing before my eyes on my daily train trip there to school. Ellesmere Port refineries seemed a permanent fixture, who'd have thought their rail links would be no more?
Steam hauled freight to the docks lined up along the line with one visible in Bebington, Port Sunlight and Spital. Heavy rail freight was everywhere on the Wirral, now nothing is left. And as somebody said on one of the other threads, closure proposals for Spital and the passenger service beyond Stanlow to Helsby.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I seem to recall that the Eastham rail facility was used for chemical handling/storage rather than 'oil refining'. Target 56 from Warrington used to bring caustic soda tanks from Runcorn on an intermittent basis. There were exchanged with the MSC railway in Ellesmere Port West Yard.

There was also a small Gulf petroleum storage facility, nearer Ellesmere Port that also had an MSC rail link but this saw very little use.

An additional siding was put into another chemical facility near Eastham (called PanOcean or similar) but this also seemed to see little use.

There was regular coal traffic into the Bowaters paper mill, usually from Newstead in HBA wagons.

(These recollections from the late 1970s.)

stantheman

On Moderation
What is on the site of Birkenhead Mollington St shed now ? Visited it in the 90s and saw 40104 and 40079 together with a Class 25 . Did it exist purely to serve the docks and freight ?

FGW_DID

Established Member
What is on the site of Birkenhead Mollington St shed now ? Visited it in the 90s and saw 40104 and 40079 together with a Class 25 . Did it exist purely to serve the docks and freight ?

Nothing, it's just waste ground slowly returning to nature. (Dependant on how current Google Maps is!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.