• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ELR to Metrolink

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidal

Theoretically, which of the current or preserved main line locos could get the furthest down the metrolink metals from the Bury end - and how far? An 08 through the city centre and all the way to Altrincham, getting back onto NR? Or would the tight radii defeat everything through the city centre?

How funny would it be to see a 142 coming via Castleton to the ELR then onto St Peter's Square?

James

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Most stock would be unable to even pass the first platform it came to. This was done on one occasion when they contracted an ELR locomotive to do ballast replacement - apparently it was quite difficult to guide the locomotive past the platform at Radcliffe without too much scraping.

Jonny

Established Member
If it even got to (Manchester) Victoria, the squealing would be epic; it would be very touch-and-go around Market Street (edit: or at Albert Square for that matter). Never mind the issues with exposed below-solebar parts that are covered up on the trams.

DPWH

On Moderation
Something with a very short wheelbase

A Class 08 is six-coupled at 11' 6" - but that's quite long. A Class 07 dock shunter has a six-coupled 8' 7.5" wheelbase. Go for a four-coupled diesel and a class 01 or class 02 both have a four-coupled 6' wheelbase, nearly half as long as a class 08.

If you want to go with steam, LNER Class Y7 also has a four-coupled 6' wheelbase. A L&YR Class 21 pug goes down to 5' 9". There may be other small 0-4-0s with even smaller wheelbases.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Most stock would be unable to even pass the first platform it came to. This was done on one occasion when they contracted an ELR locomotive to do ballast replacement - apparently it was quite difficult to guide the locomotive past the platform at Radcliffe without too much scraping.
I remember seeing a photo of that I think, with a steam loco in Manchester City Centre. I think it is somewhere on this web forum. Easier to run through locos/trains via Heywood. I have done that on a special charter train.

Train Maniac

Are you sure? From the videos ive seen, they seemed quite happy to send a 37 and a whole rake of dogfish wagons down the line.
Personally, considering as sections were previously BR owned, it would make sense to assume as far as Manchester Victoria. As for city centre running, youve got no chance! :D

Crossover

Established Member
The tracks through the city centre are, apparently, significantly shallower than those on the mainline network - as such the flanges of any loco or unit from the mainline would raise the treads off the track, as I understand it

a_c_skinner

Established Member
I've a recollection (possibly wrong) of the ELR hiring a small steam tank loco to the Metro for (an) engineering train(s)

Spartacus

Established Member
I've a recollection (possibly wrong) of the ELR hiring a small steam tank loco to the Metro for (an) engineering train(s)

That was one of their own, WD 0-6-0ST Sapper, when it was on the line, there's some good photos here https://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/video/148847/read/

I wouldn't want to send anything bigger than a small 0-4-0 steam loco into the city centre, even assuming it's flanges were low enough. An LNER Y7 0-4-0 might do the job, longer wheelbase than a L&Y pug or Peckett, but it has the advantage of inside cylinders, 11 inches narrower than a Peckett.

Jozhua

Established Member
Imagine a 142 on the Eccles line, the screeching would be immense! Especially if it reached four, possibly five miles per hour (not that the trams go much faster than that...)

The tracks through the city centre are, apparently, significantly shallower than those on the mainline network - as such the flanges of any loco or unit from the mainline would raise the treads off the track, as I understand it

Yeah the city centre tracks are quite shallow due tonit being street running to ensure nothing gets stuck in the rails.

Imagine a 142 on the Eccles line, the screeching would be immense! Especially if it reached four, possibly five miles per hour (not that the trams go much faster than that...)
The wheels would make a noise too!

507 001

Established Member
The problem isn’t so much the curvature, or the platforms.

The problem is the OHLE height. Particularly in Whitefield Tunnel and at Queens Rd.

In 1994 ‘Thomas’ did make it to QRD under its own power, for the depot open day. However when the steam loco was used on an engineering train a few who, there were concerns whether it would fit through Whitefield tunnel.
The ELR regularly sends locos and dog fish wagons onto Metrolink metals for engineering purposes.

F2002

Was it 2007/2008 then the Altrincham line saw renewal work? I recall seeing an EWS 08 at timpereley station but unsure how it would of got there?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Was it 2007/2008 then the Altrincham line saw renewal work? I recall seeing an EWS 08 at timpereley station but unsure how it would of got there?

Theres a crossover connection between NR and Metrolink tracks between Navigation Rd and Altrincham.

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
Main line traction stock not fit at all on any section that wasn't previously BR network - the curves are too sharp, the Ri rail groove is too narrow and the lateral clearances aren't big enough, quite apart form you having to shut the road because the main line stock isn't built to tramway standards in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.