• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Elsecar Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

metrocammel

A cracking Diesel Shunter (and class 101) Gala.

The Elsecar Railway is a small affair, based in Elsecar, near Barnsley (S.Yorks) Today, for the first time in it's 60 year history, a Drewry shunter, which was based at Devonport Dockyard hauled a passenger service, with a GW brakevan. The railway, especially this rare shunter, brought in large crowds, and was possibly the railways busiest day - enthusiast wise definately, as usually the busiest days are the Thomas the Tank Engine days, which usually attract "normals".
I'm pleased to say that the Elsecar Railway is now "moving forward", as for many years it has been neglected by Barnsley's attrotious Labour Council, but now it is in private ownership, and things are really progressing. They have signed an agreement with "Fastline Rail" (formerley Jarvis) and now use their surplus equipment (rail disc cutters etc) and also the site is to be a test-bed for new "Fastline" equipment, so while the line is extended to Cortonwood (about 3 miles) labour and equipment will be supplied. The railway now boasts a fair number of shunters and of course, the ex-Longsight celebrity, 101685 "Daisy" (or The Green Goddess), which was the last class 101 in mainline service (along with 101676). Daisy, along with the RH and the Drewry shunters all worked very intensive timetables today, carrying many passengers, with no delays whatsoever (we even managed to fit releif services in between the booked trains to cope with the demand). The "Elsecar Heritage Fire Service" also had a display, and there was an event at the Exhibition centre next door, all in all it was a excellent day.... and a successful one in monetary terms as well... raising a pleasing £390.00, (with around another £25 on top with raffle tickets).

There is another Diesel Gala currently in the pipeline, which will hopefully be sometime in the Summer. Watch this Space... "Pipelines" should be the appropriate theme for the next gala, as there should be a "BP" shunter visiting (it is moving for long-term storage to Elsecar soon) , which will be it's passenger debut.

Elsecar Railway Website is: www.elsecarrailway.cjb.net

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
A good little event, popped down for a few trips and enjoyed it despite the weather being a bit miserable. Nice to have a ride on 101685 for the first time since Dec 24th 2003 too!

metrocammel

theblackwatch said:
A good little event, popped down for a few trips and enjoyed it despite the weather being a bit miserable. Nice to have a ride on 101685 for the first time since Dec 24th 2003 too!

Oh, excellent, I thought I was the only Rail UK member there! You may well have seen me, I was the porcupinesque ginger guy(!) and was the only person in a "mini hi-vis" (rather than the huge hiviz coats everyone else had) and I was pretty much permanenently glued to Daisy, although I sampled the Drewry once.

Anybody who wants to volunteer with either Elsecar, or just Daisy (who, being "highly strung(!)" always needs TLC) just go to the website (on my first post) and we'll be pleased to welcome you. AFAIK, membership is £5 Child, £10 adult.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Ah, I know who you are now - we were actually chatting on 101685! You were talking about the 08 on the Plymouth shunt release on the Penzance sleeper.

May well have another trip down to Elsecar in the summer and hopefully get some phots of the unit in action in the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.