• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Elsenham to Lamphey (The scenic route)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ737

G'day

Having got bored with the usual Elsenham - Liv St / Paddington - Swansea - Lamphey route I have been a bit creative and booked this for the Tue 28th FEB.

0752 Elsenham - 0823 Cambridge
0838 Cambridge - 0853 Ely
0900 Ely - 0939 Peterborough
0951 Peterborough - 1040 Doncaster
1058 Doncaster - 1120 Sheffield
1142 Sheffield - 1225 Stockport

ADV £22.30
-----------------------------------------------------
1238 Stockport - 1337 Shrewsbury
1404 Shrewsbury - 1738 Llanelli Via Heart of Wales line
1828 Llanelli - 1952 Tenby
2000 Tenby - 2017 Lamphey

ADV £16.00
-----------------------------------------------------
If things go pear shaped at say, Doncaster, will I still be ok regards getting to Lamphey that evening considering there are six train companies involved (NXEA-FCC-EC-XC-EM & ATW) ?

Or am I mad for attempting this trip?
Seems like a good deal for £38.30 :D

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's a valid connection, so you're covered, however if things went seriously wrong and you experienced a major delay then it is possible that you could be required to stay overnight somewhere, and in theory if this was due to something outside the Railways' control e.g. fire then it is possible the Railway could refuse to pay for accommodation.

But, in terms of allowing you to complete the journey then yes, for sure you are covered.

DJ737

Thanks for that, I also note that the next train from Stockport an hour later is the same train I get from Llanelli to Tenby which runs via Hereford, so I should be OK.

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

DJ737

Probably be in need of a pint by time i get to Llanelli (not to mention a smoke)
Does Llanelli station have a bar? I looked on streetview and the nearest pub (The Railway Tavern) doesn't look that inviting. :|

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

IanD

Established Member
My daughter and I arrived at Llanelli at at 1235 on a Monday afternoon in August, off the 0900 H-of-W service from Shrewsbury. Just in time to see the ticket office close for the day and half an hour after the toilets had been locked up fo the day. We had 35 minutes to wait for our connection to Milford Haven. Longest 35 minutes of our lives.

Well, it was until we arrived at Milford Haven. There we had a choice of waiting an hour or two hours to catch a bus to Pembroke Dock. One look at the town and 10 minutes in Tescos and we thought we'd better catch the earlier bus. Longest 50 minutes of our lives.

Well, it was until we arrived at Pembroke Dock where we spent the longest 2+ hours of our lives waiting for the next train! Not a very nice place.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Does Llanelli station have a bar? I looked on streetview and the nearest pub (The Railway Tavern) doesn't look that inviting. :|

It doesn't. The Railway Tavern is fine, though, and there's a hotel in close proximity to the station too. If you want further ideas, PM Greenback.

Status
Not open for further replies.